Outhouse ideas

Page 1 of 3

I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the water is shut off.
I want to put up some kooky things, and make it a real interesting outhouse. I have thought of things like TV antenna, satellite dish, gun rack, and many things.
What joke items would you put on it?
What practical useful things would you put in?
Steve

Well, the crate of corncobs is a favorite.
My grandfather used to do this to folks who visited him. He always told them that he was going to build on a bathroom soon. (But he already did.) He was a prankster. He would also hide the toliet paper.
Tanus wrote:

Well, an Aladdin with a smoke bell should do fine, give out a good dela of light, and make a not insignificant amount of heat. Remember, oil lamps and candles were all that they _had_ for most of history. When I googled "Aladdin oil lamp", <http://www.oillampman.com/start.html was the second hit--he's got lamps for just about any occasion.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Steve B wrote:

Steve - You have been posting about your outhouse project since last october. you haven't built that crapper yet? Thought you were going to be done by spring.
<<A stack of red corn cobs and a stack of white corn cobs?
Why red and white you ask?
You use a red cob, then a white cob to see if you need to use another red cob.
Lew <<
About fell out of my chair laughing on that one. High redneck science, no doubt. (He says... filing that one away for future use)
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
> About fell out of my chair laughing on that one. High redneck science, > no doubt. (He says... filing that one away for future use)
The corn cob story was told to me by my father who died in 1959.
It's been around for a while.
Someplace around here I have a copy of "The Country Plumber" by Chick Sales.
As I remember, it was a real hoot read.
Sort of the wood worker's guide to haw to build an out house with all it's variations.
Lew

Hell, we had to wait for the snow to clear. Went up there a couple of weeks ago and worked on a retaining wall. Am taking some wrought iron and electric hoist up this coming weekend.
I'm retired, and there still isn't enough time to do everything. In the meantime, what's the harm in getting more info? Nothing like good planning and research.
Steve
A well-equipped outhouse should have a mirror and a bidet.
Steve B wrote:

Steve, I have built literally hundreds of latrines.
http://www.teamcasa.org/latrine.htm
Funny gags? Don't forget the Sears catalog - Oh wait they don't print one any more! I like the one where the toilet paper roll only gives one sheet at a time. Also, it must have a half moon on the door.
Dave
Steve B wrote:

Keep in mind that if you build the outhouse 100' from the house, in the winter that's going to be 100' too far and in the summer 100' too close. Also, put a speaker under the seat so's you can surprise your guests.     mahalo,     jo4hn
<snip>

<snip> I imagined a LOUD hollow "God that stinks... what died?" played shortly after seating Tom

A buddy of mine has a battery powered fart maker, and a remote. I wonder what the range is on those.
Steve

HEY (lady) (fellow) we are painting down here>>>>>>>

HEY (lady) (fellow) we are painting down here>>>>>>>

I'm sure our friend Morris can built a little battery powered servo-driven rodent/snake/hand/BabyChuckyFace/... with some green LED eyeballs to go BOOGA BOOGA when lifting the lid?
..may not have to sit down after that..anymore... off to the showers
Robatoy (in snipped-for-privacy@nr-tor01.bellnexxia.net) said:
| || Steve B wrote: ||| I need to build an outhouse at my cabin for winter use when the ||| water is shut off. ||| ||| I want to put up some kooky things, and make it a real interesting ||| outhouse. ||| I have thought of things like TV antenna, satellite dish, gun ||| rack, and many ||| things. ||| ||| What joke items would you put on it? ||| ||| What practical useful things would you put in? ||| ||| Steve ||| ||| || Keep in mind that if you build the outhouse 100' from the house, || in the winter that's going to be 100' too far and in the summer || 100' too close. Also, put a speaker under the seat so's you can || surprise your guests. mahalo, || jo4hn | | I'm sure our friend Morris can built a little battery powered | servo-driven rodent/snake/hand/BabyChuckyFace/... with some green | LED eyeballs to go BOOGA BOOGA when lifting the lid? | | ..may not have to sit down after that..anymore... | off to the showers
Morris would go hi-tech to the extent of building an uplevel cistern, downlevel septic system, and installing indoor plumbing. Hmm... Solar panels to heat water and keep the house warm (above freezing, at least.)

Yabbut... all well and good...but not even ONE little wee prank?
Robatoy (in snipped-for-privacy@news.bellglobal.com) said:
| || Morris would go hi-tech to the extent of building an uplevel || cistern, downlevel septic system, and installing indoor plumbing. || Hmm... Solar panels to heat water and keep the house warm (above || freezing, at least.) | | Yabbut... all well and good...but not even ONE little wee prank?
On /washable/ toilet seats, paint "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here".
On a more serious note - get a gallon plastic jug and an appropriate-sized piece of PVC pipe and build a screw-to-the-wall urinal. The PVC should extend at least 6" below the deck and sealed/cemented to the floor. Do artistic trimming of the plastic jug and paint a large "P" over it so first-time visitors won't be confused. Nobody likes a sticky/wet toilet seat - and you'll accrue serious points with your female visitors.
An outside wall might be a good place to mount a dry sink for washing up before/after.
Would it be best to use cedar or redwood for the outside? Another wood?
STeve