OT: You guys make it hard to follow this group

Page 3 of 3
On 8/25/2012 9:31 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

I keep 3 weeks worth, back to 8/11 and I show 1497 messages.
I recently did

Out of 1500 messages, there are only a few threads, maybe 50 or so. Out of those subjects, I would be hard pressed NOT to know which ones are not wood related in just from the subject line. For example, what part of "you guys make it hard to follow this group" tricks you into thinking it is "on topic"?
Even if you think "O/T BLOG POST OF THE DAY" or " A Political view with which everyone might agree" might be "on topic" 2 seconds looking at the first post and you can skip all 10000 messages in an instant if you so choose.
I think you are complaining just to hear yourself complain. More proof of that is that out of all 2000 messages, you replied 11 times, 9 to obviously off topic posts, and 2 on topic. So, you yourself (much like everyone) appear more interested in off topic than on topic stuff.
--
Jack
On 8/26/2012 8:56 AM, Jack wrote:

OK, so maybe it was a lot longer than three weeks. The problem exacerbates over time. I'm away for two weeks, come back and it's 1200 unread messages. "GEEZ, I don't have time to read all that now!" Get pulled away for another week, and so on. All I know is by the time I finally decided to tackle the monster there were over 2700 unread messages.

The threads that are clearly marked as you describe aren't the problem. It's when an on-topic thread strays off-topic in 27 different places, yet there are still on-topic branches here and there that are worth reading if you can find them.

Clearly, you spent just a little too much time trying to track down my posting habits so you could feel justified in bitching at my bitching, but you're more than just a little off base my friend. Those posts are a side-effect of my popping in here only a few times over the span of several weeks and being completely overwhelmed by the unread traffic, and my replies (as I recollect) were mostly to "pals" of mine in light-hearted context, to a few of the most-recent threads that I actually stumbled upon and had the time say a little something about before giving up and living the rest of my life. If all the participants in this group only averaged 9 off-topic replies over the span of three weeks or a month, then I don't think there would by ANY problem keeping up with the traffic, do you? Most "offenders" in the group can average more than 9 off-topic posts within the span of about an hour.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

I hear ya, but every so often ya just gotta markem all read and start over. Ya ain't going to miss anythiong earth shattering that hasn't already been discuss, and if by chance you do, you'll shirley pick it up in the new replies don't pet the sweaty stuff and don't sweat the petty stuff jmo
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 20:27:33 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

The other alternative is to post articles that interest you. Perhaps others will follow. There are two knobs to the S/N ratio. Whining isn't going to solve anything.