OT Who knew? Oil Springs, ON, struck first oil.

Page 1 of 2
Suck it, you Kanuckistan haters!!!
Who knew? Oil Springs, Ont., struck first oil
THE CANADIAN PRESS A tiny pocket of southwestern Ontario will be bubbling with pride this weekend as residents celebrate a claim to fame that fuelled a civilization. The village of Oil Springs, southeast of Sarnia, is the site of North America's first commercial oil well dug by hand roughly 150 years ago tomorrow. The discovery touched off the modern petroleum age, a full year before American Edwin Drake began drilling in Pennsylvania. This weekend, people living throughout the Oil Heritage District of Lambton County will converge on the village to both commemorate and reflect on the anniversary. A parade will march to the Oil Museum of Canada, where festivities will include a play depicting the history of the oil industry, declarations by local MPs and the Oil Baron's Ball. Local historians say they hope the bash will help raise the area's profile and boost its bid to be designated a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Well, that's all very impressive, however, if this is a point of national pride, perhaps they should check a map because Oil Springs is in southEASTERN, Ontario. I'd hate for all of that celebratory Labatts and back bacon to go to waste because people were driving aimlessly around the wrong part of the Province! :-)

Chercher la femme!!
Or is that the wrong province??
--
Best regards
Han

Speaking of aimless.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Western_Ontario_geography_stubs
Now clicky on Lambton County.. there you will find Oil Springs... in SOUTH WESTERN ONTARIO. I live 30 KM from there...
Do you have a Tates compass? Maybe that explains why you're lost. After all, he who has a Tates, is lost.
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:22:13 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Where is Thunder Bay?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Well since Thunder Bay is both north and west of Oil Springs, I guess it must be in Northwestwest Ontario.

Northern Ontario..on the West side.
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 12:41:30 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

You do realize that was a rhetorical question? Thunderstinkin Bay is no more in Northern Ontario than Anchorage is Northern Alaska. There's a WHOLE lot more of both WAY north of both. Even Hearst isn't really Northern Ontario.
By the way, someone mentioned Cornwall. Reminds me of an old story we used to tell about Jacksonville, FL, when I was living there. It goes:
some guys in Tampa were talking around the water cooler at work one day. One of their co-workers, who hadn't been around for a few days walked up. "Bob, where the hell you been?"
"Well, remember the attitude adjustment session at the tavern last week?"
"Yeah, you looked like you were cutting one out of the herd, there."
"Yup. Did real good, too. We left the bar, went dancing a little, had a late dinner, a little vino. Started a little neck nibbling. After a while, we got a little more intense in the back of a taxi and she started really getting excited."
"So?"
"She came up for air at one point and said, 'kiss me where it smells' so I took her to Jacksonville. I just got back."
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Thunder bay is not on the west side. it's on lake superior. if you go west to manitoba an head south you'll hit minnesota, lake of the woods. it's about 250 mi from thunder bay to the manitoba border with kenora in betwixed. watch out for moose. ross
LRod wrote:

Where is Canada?

Interesting! Let's put a north-south line running right through the middle of Ontario. Good old Lambton county sure seems to be east of that line. Perhaps Oil Springs is in the southwestern part of the southeastern part of Ontario?
Molsonly yours,
Kevin

Noooo, you big silly, put that Molson down..and pay attention: Oil Springs is in the Western part of Southern Ontario.
Han knows how that kinda thing works, North Brabant, is in the Southern part of The Netherlands. South Dakota is in the Northern US?
You may now continue drinking that Molson....stuff...'cuz beer it ain't.

Ahhh, gotcha. It's in Westsouth Ontario. All is now clear.
Muskokaly yours,
Kevin

Noooooooooooooooo, because if you go as far West as you can in Ontario, then you hit the Manitoba border. THEN, if you go South..you end up near Thunderinglardjesus Bay. However...if you go South first...and then West, you end up in Windsor, which is about an hour away from Oil Springs and a helluvalot closer than Thunderingfarking Bay!
Now, Cornwall.. THAT is Eastern Ontario, boy is it ever...
Robatoy wrote:

Hey Rob, good buddy, this is getting silly, as a fellow resident of Southern Ontario, and as Bob knows we all know each other, Oil Springs is definitely in the South Western part of Southern Ontario aka Southern Ontario, for the less anal. ;-)
--
Froz...

I know where I live, most of the time. *G* But for those who believe Wiki..here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southwestern_Ontario It even has a picture!
FrozenNorth wrote:

That's what I said. Western Niagara peninsula, which is in Eastern Ontario (actually South Central Ontario).
Dave N

Many nights during my youth I DID end up in Windsor. Wonderful ballet....
Kevin

Well, if I look at a map of Ontario on yahoo, it looks sort of like the "boot" of Italy, only a lot more sqat. Oil Springs is then near the Western tip of the most Southern part, which leans heavily Eastwards, like Calabria in Italy is the westernmost part of southern Italy, but it it is East of the center of Italy.
I can only conclude that Canadians have some sort of trouble with geography, unless, like in Europe, boundaries/borders/regions have changed for infernal reasons of marriage and/or war.
--
Best regards
Han

The 49th parallel is the main devider between Canada and the USA, except for the great lakes and St Lawrence Seaway. And a VERY siseable proportion of Canadians live "south of the 49th" Ontario is rouchly devided between eastern ontario(that part roughly east of Hogtown and south of Quebec), Central Ontario,(that part rougly south of Barrie and west of Toronto's eastern edge), sothwestern ontario (the area roughly south of toronto),the "near north", extending from the top of Georgean bay to the corner of Quebec,(or roughly the 49th) and the "north", which is about 75%+ of the province. All of the western part of canada is in the "NORTH" by that standard, as is most of Quebec and Newfoundland