OT: West Texas Simians

Page 1 of 2

Driving through a small town in West Texas last week, I noticed a high school with a banner saying "Blurt High--Home of the Gorillas". First came the rhetorical question, "Wonder what the cheerleaders' moves look like?". Second came the thought, "What do they call the girls' teams? Lady Gorillas? Gorillettes? Gorills?" It was all over in a minute.
--
Bob
"Outside your camp you shall have a place set aside to be used as a

In Houston my son is a senior in HS. Last year the expensive request for a Class Ring came up. The company that was in charge of taking the orders is, "Herff Jones. I was wondering what a Herff ring would look like. :~)
Leon wrote:

I expect it'd look kinder like a "C".
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Bob Schmall wrote:

Emporia (KS) State College mascot/name is/are also the Gorillas...don't know what they do w/ the womens' teams, either...have a pretty successful Div II program, however.
Bob Schmall wrote:

It's a good thing you didn't drive through Hutto. Their mascot is the Hippo.
And then there's Pflugerville. Their mascot is the Pfanther. (Just kidding.)
So did you enjoy the Big Bend?
Chuck Vance (whose junior high school team was The Matadors; now that really puts the fear of gawd into an opponent)

Our high school mascot was the trojan. Had some fun with that one...

Went to college at Oregon State University. Lots of lame jokes when we played Univeristy of Southern California.
I leave it to the reader to find the mascots.
--
Frank Stutzman

Trojans (Chambersburg, PA) for me. (It's hard to believe but the name did have a downside.)
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

Ladies teams would have to be the Hippettes.

Very much, Chuck, tenjewberrymud. We were concerned about what those Texas winds would do to the awning on our camper, but solved that early by having it blown off in Illinois. Big Bend park was great, but then we made a mistake by reserving at a resort just north of the park. (resort, hell-it was an old ranch with wide spots in the road for campers) Then we recovered nicely in the Davis Mountains. We'll be back
Bob
Marathon? The Gage Hotel? I spent a few years exploring for oil in the Marathon basin, stayed at the Gage quuite a few times.
-jbb

Bob Schmall wrote:

I heard that the song girls do a good job with "Gorilla my dreams..."     twitch,     jo4hn

Confirmed: you have no shame, you insensitive little primate.
Bob
Bob Schmall wrote:

Somewhere in Eastern PA there a High School whose football team is "The Fighting Quakers".
--

FF

On 8 Apr 2005 09:50:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Probably a slightly better choice than the "Quaking Fighters" :-)
I spent a "vacation" in Manitoba in April one year. The town of Gladstone high school team's moniker.........
The "Happy Rocks". Go figure.
-jbb

community college in phoenix: the fighting artichokes.

I like U.C--Santa Barbara (IIRC): the Banana Slugs.
Bob

Gorilla my dreams?

Now I think I understand why the Texas Legistature (for real) has introduced a bill to make "suggestive cheerleader routines" illegal.
scott
While at the mall in Dothan Alabama, I saw a group of cheerleaders, in their cheeleader outfits. Acrossed the front "Headland".
The Norfolk Virginia cheer Cheerleader(s): We don't smoke crowd: WE DON'T SMOKE! Cheerleader(s): We don't drink crowd: WE DON'T DRINK! Cheerleader(s): Norfolk! Norfolk! YEAH! crowd: g r o a n of disappointment
charlie b