Texas bluebonnets

Texas is full of bluebonnets in the Summer, but I don't have one single plant on my 11 acres:( Does anybody know where I can buy Bluebonnet plants, either online or at a nursery? One year I found a plant at my local Target, but I never find them anymore:(

I don't think the police would take too kindly to me digging up a bunch of plants in the center median of Interstate 30, but I sure am tempted when I see the thousands of plants growing along there, LOL!

Ideally, I would like to cover at least 1/2 an acre of my land in them.

Angie (who planted Azaleas, Calla Lilys, and Amaryllis today in the nice 70 degree weather....gotta LOVE Texas!)

Reply to
junkyardcat

You'll be better off sowing seeds next fall. It's too late to sow them this year. Lots of sources on the web. FYI, they typically bloom in late March to April rather than summer.

deg

Reply to
Dewitt

Lupines (bluebonnets are a lupine that likes chalky alkaline soil) do not transplant well; you really need to plant seeds. If you want to cover

20000+ square feet, you might want to contact the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Research Center
to see where you can buy scarified seeds by the pound. IIRC, you'll plant them in the fall. The plants are annuals, but they should readily reseed.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The bluebonnet is a type of lupine. Can't you find seeds? When I was in TX, we were given seeds in our packet of freebies.

Reply to
MC

I live in Texas much farther south than you and the time I plant my seeds is July. It's when my bluebonnets are spitting out their seeds, naturally. I try to gather all the pods when they are crispy and I shuck them all and right before a rain or when I'm going to do a deep watering, I throw them out. They germinate by August and remain in a rosette all winter.

People say the fall...that's not true. You plant seeds of plants when they would naturally be dropping their seeds and for bluebonnets, that is July in the whole of the state of Texas.

I have no idea where you'd buy plants because I have no idea where you live. If you live in the Hill Country near Austin, they sell bluebonnet plants everywhere, including Home Depot or Lowes.

Reply to
escapee

Reply to
Harriet Nation

Seeds of Texas Bluebonnet are available from Wildseed Farms in Fredricksburg

emilie

Reply to
MLEBLANCA

sell all kinds of wild flower seed. I got candy striped cosmos and picotee cosmos among others last year, but they're in texas and have the texas bluebonnet seed.

Keep in mind they're poisonous to livestock.

Janice

Reply to
Janice