prune citrus

What time of year is the best to prune my grapefruit tree? It is well established and producing a lot of fruit. I am in the central valey of California.

Reply to
sactown

Any time, except that if you prune it very much it can't handle as much water and may get root rot.

In So Cal they don't prune the lemons until after freezing season is over, the tall branches give some frost protection.

Reply to
Charles

Prune in the spring and early summer, when frost is not expected. Pruning encourages new growth, which is easily damaged by frost.

Also, prune only as needed. Citrus does not need pruning to produce fruit. Thus, the purpose should be to remove deadwood, branches that rub each other, etc. In a home garden, you may also prune to enhance the aesthetics of the tree. Finally, for dwarf citrus in containers, prune to keep the foliage from exceeding the ability of restricted roots to supply water.

Reply to
David Ross