OT: warranties

Page 1 of 5
I don't believe it! All those stories about devices failing right after the warranty runs out? It finally happened to us!
My wife loaded the dishwasher this morning and it made strange noises. She looked it up in our records and we bought it March 19th of last year!
My reaction when she told me was to laugh - old wives tales do come true :-).
But it may be temporary - something hard in the pump that'll dissolve in time.

If the problem turns out to be "not temporary", it's not too hard to open up the pump. The worst part may be getting the machine out from under the counter. The clamps, the rubber boots, piece of cake, really. The only thing that might slip you up is a reverse-threaded bolt on the impeller.... Tom

She should call and report that it happened before midnight.
Bones and cherry pits don't dissolve for a very long time.

Yeah the cherry pits will sing for months on end. ;~)
Larry Blanchard wrote:

I had a Buick Park Ave whose transmission died 1000 miles after the warranty. They fixed it anyway.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

When my heated seat broke ($675 to repair) after the 36,000 miles, but before the 3 years, they told me to buy a new car. I should have as the Buick continued to turn to crap. Still in my driveway (not working at the moment) it is the last Buick I'll ever own.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

While I was called up for Desert Storm the Buick developed a problem. My wife talked with the owner of the dealership. They didn't know how much it would be until they got into it. She explained that I was called to active duty and if it was very much we would have to pay it out over a couple of months since our income had taken a hit. Nope! Had to be paid in full when it was fixed. She had it repaired elsewhere.
That was our third and last Buick.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Friend of mine inherited a '94 Buick.
Biggest POS on the planet.
Just for reference, I'm 6'-0", 240 lbs.
Not a midget, but not obese either.
Impossible to get into or out.
Seat adjustments are for midgets.
Bells and whistles start ringing if the turn signal is on for more than about 20-30 seconds.
With that kind of crap, it's no wonder GM is in trouble.
BTW, have been warned about an upcoming tranny problem some where around 60K miles.
Lew

pffft. 3rd tranny and counting on our 99 Taurus. Paid for it once when we bought it. Twice and Thrice to rebuild the fu@&er. And now, a fourth time, through my taxes for the bailouts.
Thanks Ford, my @$$ hurts.
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

Not to pick nits or anything. And not commmenting on ford quality.
But Ford started to reform prior to the current economic situation. And they have not asked for any bailout money.
Speaking of warranties...
I have installed two water heaters in my life. Did the whole thing. Bought it, brought it home, replaced the old one and put in the new one. And hauled the old one to the dump.
The last time, it had to be done just as I left town for a few days. My wife insisted that it be done that day. Which meant we had to call a plumber. Which costs FOUR TIMES as much! I told her to hang on to the paperwork. It was warrantied for complete replacement, parts and labor for one year.
Wel....., as luck would have it, about a year later the tank goes out. We ran to ge the paperwork. The warranty would expire THE NEXT DAY! We hustled to the phone and called it in. A plumber had a cancellation and came out. He checked the hot water heater and pronounced it dead. So he replaced it. We were so relieved.
Talk about squeaking by. Usually I am a week late.

It is a shame that they don't tell you about the ones with the life time warranties which really are not that much more money and especially considering at after 10 years you are on borrowed time. I replaced mine about 5 years ago with a 50 gallon Whirlpool that has a life time warranty. $303 including tax plus my labor.
"Leon" wrote:

These days warranties are pro rated just like tires and batteries.
These days, tankless water heaters are the way to go, IMHO, especially those built with S/S parts.
I was going to put on on my boat when the time came.
Lew

If there is a time limit, my warranty specifically indicates free replacement on parts. Labor not included but I can handle any thing that comes up in that department if they will let me. I was able to get my originaly heater to last 22 years.

I agree, I really really wanted to go that route but the cost was going to out pace the potential savings. I am all electric and would have had to go with the less efficient electric tankless model. I would have had to have an electrician run a 50 amp circuit additionally. Fortunately my new heater had a high effeciency rating. I have watched my electricity useage like a hawk for the past 20 years, I literally did see a drop in my usage that amounted to about $15-$20 per month. I speculated that the new heater would pay for it self with in 2 years and it indeed did.

Was?

I picked up on that as well.
"Leon" wrote:

Off peak heating and a 100 gallon tank was my dad's solution for electric water heating when he built a home in 1947.

Walked away a couple of years ago.
Lew

By off prek you mean cheaper electric rates at certain times of the day? I wish we had that option in Houston. I participated in a pilot test program in 1995, 1996, and partially in 1997 that the electric company was puttin on. I was one of about 250 participants in the Houston area. They put in a digital electric meter, modem, nine way to Sunday programable thermostat that woul tell you how much electricity you had used for any given day and during what periods you used it, the cost of each period in the day, and exactly what your bill was at any point and projected amount that the bill would be for the month. It also controlled the water heater. I was able to keep my electricity bill under $1K for the whole year in 1996. As we speak the local utility pole company is installing electronic meters again through out the whole city. I hope that we will once again be offered the variable rate pricing again. Our current water heater has a "smart" feature. It has a switch console that offers an option of not keeping the water at a normal useable temperature until it sences a flow/usage, similar to an on demand heater.

If it worked out so well, what stopped you from purchasing your own meter after the test period was over?
wrote in message

At the time, mid 90's, we were only had one electrically provider, you could not "shop around". I suspect that the local provider probably saw how much their customers could actually save and was it not in the providers interest, or perhaps most users did not take full advantage of the set up and did not change their usage habits. We, I was never offered the opportunity to buy the equipment or have variable rate pricing after the trial. Only in the last 6 or 7 years have be been afforded the opportunity to seek other providers and only now are we /every one getting the digital electrical meters. We all have to pay for this meter so that the light company can get rid of all of their walk around meter readers. Over a 10 or so year period we have to pay extra for those $400 plus meters each month. The cost is being sold/sugar coated to us as affording us the opportunity to go on line and see what our bill is at any given time. BIG DEAL I can do that now with out internet service. I hope that the next step will be that we can get/be offered variable pricing.
When I was on the plan in the mid 90's our normal pricing for electricity was about 8 cents per Kwh. On the program I paid 2.5 cents from 10 pm till 6 am the next morning . From 6 am to 1 pm I paid 5.2 cents and from 1 pm to 7 pm I paid 12 cents. 7pm to 10 pm I paid 7.5 cents. This pricing structure was M-F and only during a 6 month Summer period. Weekends worked similar however the rate never went over 5.2 cents year round. During the 6 month Winter rate period the rate was exactly like the Summer weekend rate never going above 5.2 cents.
With the exception of an unusually High Peak Rate period limited to no more than 2 hours per week we could have been charged 17.2 cents. The thermostat would display a red light indicating that this was going to be implemented with in the next hour and the thermostat would respond accordingly depending on how you wanted that situation to be treated.
"Leon" wrote:

Yes.
Might want to check again.
Most utilities offer off peak programs since it is in their best interest.
Here in SoCal, off peak billing is available, especially to high energy users such as cement mills.

That's going on across the country, it reduces the need for meter readers.
Lew