OT: Volume

Is it just the fact that summer is here, or has another bunch of ISPs dropped Usenet? Volume here has dropped quite a bit over the last month or two. I don't remember a similar summer drop in past years,but I am getting absent minded in my old age :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Summer, deaths, competing forums, boredom, competing interests, annoyance with the noise to signal ratio issue the crops up occasionally, bombardment with e-mails from Popular Woodworking and FWW to use their sites.... I don't think it's any one thing but a combination of things that have led to the volume decrease here over time. Long haul I suspect "new" folks are more likely to find web based discussion groups than they are Usenet... kind of like how there are tens of millions of users who never lived in the command prompt, Archie, Kermit, era there are tens of millions who have no idea what Usenet is or why the might want to visit. Maybe, like with hand tools, there will be a nostalgic resurgence in the use of Usenet!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That's true in general overall, agreed.

I've noticed that for some reason the traffic at r.w has dropped significantly in proportion to that of other usenet groups I follow though. I've no explanation for that...

Reply to
dpb

The "season" (non-winter) may be a contributing factor too. It's the season to play with drywall compound! ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You might be missing the stray dorks that usually show up at the first of summer.

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------------------------------ Try the weather.

Summer is finally trying to get here but with the truly nasty weather in many parts of the country, people have been busy coping with it.

As this is being typed, brush fires are rampant here in SoCal and some more tornadoes are almost on the ground in OK.

Mother Nature can be a real BITCH.

If you are in the path of one of these beasts, good luck and stay hunkered down.

BTW Leon, that motel fire in metro Houston, anywhere close to you?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's summer, many are probably out doing stuff. Lots of reasons why there's a slow down this time of year. Come back in four or five months.

Reply to
none

But that doesn't explain why it affects this group more than others. In the past this has been the group least affected by holidays, weekends, etc..

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

About 6 miles from where I lived up until about 2 years ago.. A real shame with the loss of life.

Reply to
Leon

I am too. But another poster said he saw it affecting this group more than others. I thought that was strange because this group had always had a pretty steady volume.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 17:16:45 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Well, there hasn't been any big discussions or arguments for a few weeks here. They usually generate considerable rhetoric.

Reply to
none

I am a regular on this and several other newsgroups.

Because of computer and network problems I have not been online for several days. I got a new router installed yesterday. (It is never as simple as it seems). Later this week I should get a new AC adapter for my laptop, so it is going to be some days before my visits return to normal.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle