Thanks,
Mike O.

They got to you too!
Check out astraweb at www.astraweb.com
Buy the service by the gigabyte. That would either be $10 or $25. Either will last you a long time. At my present rate, many years.
The service is better than what I had before.
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

-------------------------------------- Works for me.
Lew

I'll third it, and point out that you can get to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking when you want to.
Puckdropper

On 5/1/2010 6:42 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

What about newsreaders? I'm currently using Thunderbird, and it meets my needs - can't find anything on astraweb about using T-bird. Giganews (which Cox is pushing) does work with the T-bird newsreader.
TIA
Matt
"Matt" wrote:

-------------------------------------
Take your choice, Thunderbird or OE6, they both work with astraweb.
I moved from Verizon to Astraweb with out a hitch once I figured out how to do it.<G>
Lew
Lew

On 5/1/2010 8:05 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thanks, Lew!
Matt
On 5/1/2010 9:01 PM, Matt wrote:

Been using Thunderbird with giganews for years ... any newsreader should be totally independent of the source of nntp.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I've had Individual for a number of years and have been quite happy with it. Their customer service is awesome. At $14/year (10EUR) it isn't bad. No binaries, though.
I use : www.forteinc.com they change me less than $3 a month for all of the text I want...
I was paying the max - 12 or 13 USD but never got the byte count... backed all the way down - no issue.
Martin
Mike O. wrote:

On Sat, 01 May 2010 20:54:32 -0500, the infamous "Martin H. Eastburn"

Ditto, and I get ABPW via Teranews, which used to be a $2.99 one-time fee.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

I'm using Giganews at 2.99 a month. I used eternal-september but found it lacking at times, but it was free.

I've been using Eternal September (www.eternal-september.org) ever since AT&T dropped Usenet (about a year now, I think). No complaints, really. Once in a while (perhaps an hour at a time, four or five weeks apart) there are problems connecting, but I can live with that. And they do a great job of filtering spam. And it's free. No binaries, but, hey, you said you don't really need that.

Ditto. And free is a very good price.
Doug Miller wrote:

I use it to and very happy with its service. Few down times but not for long. Its free and for that price I have no complaints!
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
On 5/1/2010 8:02 PM, Mike O. wrote:

http://www.usenetmonster.com
Been with them for ~ 22 months. $2.95/mo gets you 5.0 gb per month and it ROLLS OVER. My account shows that I've purchased a total of 110.0 gb and have used 63.6 gb and have a balance remaining of 46.4gb.
Carries everything I've looked for, I am pretty heavy on graphics, etc. and I don't come anywhere near the allotted usage. Can't beat it for the $
Try the free service from tera news. A small one time set up fee (was 3.95).
Mike in Ohio
Mike O. wrote:

I'm late here, but would recommend astraweb as a bunch did before me. $10 got me going on June 20 2008. I have used less than 1 GB of the 25 GB I paid for, and that includes abpw.
--
Best regards
Han

And, oh yeah, I use X-news as a reader. For just about any newsreader, the only thing you'd need to do is change the url, username and password of the server. Was with Verizon before Andy Cuomo gave them the excuse to unload their news service.
--
Best regards
Han

While I endorse Astraweb, a couple things I noticed when I switched to them this year. They don't use the header I used to kill cross-posted trolls and they don't honor the SPAM-KiILL cancels (ie you get more SPAM)
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org