OT: trucks

Page 3 of 4
On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 01:58:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

That's just plain wrong. Funny, but still wrong.
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:55:19 -0600, John T

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad-cab that I really like. It has as much rear seating and leg room as my mother's Caddy Seville. I can have 5 adults in the truck. However I have it because I have two grandsons (age 5 & 6) and you need real space for those damn booster seats. Anyhow, with the 4.7 engine I have a load capacity of in excess of 1500 lbs and a towing capacity in excess of 6,000 lbs. I think the bed is only 5' 8" or something like that and a full sheet of plywood has to go above the wheel wells (holders are built-in for 2x4 braces to hold said plywood). Anyhow, it is a reasonable compromise between a small truck that can't have a decent back seat and a full size that may be bigger than you want. There are a few others in that range out now, but on the used market of more than 2 or 3 years old, the Dakota is pretty much in its own class.
Dave Hall
If you buy a Ford F-150 you can keep it damned near forever.
I am the living proof.
I have owned two vehicles over the last thirty one years.
The first was a 1974 Chevy C-10 and it was a total piece of shit.
The rockers rusted out within three years and the wheel wells cancered out soon after.
I ran that miserable piece of crap, at great expense, until 1987, when I bought a real truck, made by the Ford Motor Company.
That F-150 is still my constant companion.
I drive it sixty miles a day and it has better than 150,000 miles on it.
It runs good, is quiet, and shows no sign of quitting.
I keep asking the guys at the garage that I take it to for state inspection and such, "How much life does it have in it?".
They tell me that this old baby is only about middle aged.
Buy Ford - before it's made in Shanghai.
ps. Don't buy the six foot bed.
It ain't natural.
I'll post a pix on ABPW.
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 12:55:19 -0600, John T

Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker
Tom Watson wrote:

Just to show there's no justice in the world...
I gave my 72 Chevy C10 to friend when left TN in '99 (two already here on the farm). It had >200k on it at the time w/ one overhaul at 130k or thereabouts. Is still being used daily by my friend (he's semi-retired self-employed plumber).
On the farm have '77 C10 4x4 w/ who knows how many miles--says 50k but I have no idea how many times it's started over. It has worked every day of it's life and the most expensive repair was a master cylinder last fall. It's work load has not been light, either--it always has diesel and gas tank in bed plus regularly pulls anyhdrous-ammonia trailers (the 1000 and 1500 gal jobbies that look like an LP tank on wheels) through sandy fields as a simple task.
Meanwhile watch the neighbors go through Fords like jelly beans...
Except for the 73-75 or so time period where there was a serious design flaw in the body that lead to rust out reminiscent of 50's and early 60's Fords, I would take the GM entry over the Ford any day.
That said, longevity is mainly how they're maintained/driven imo.
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:49:49 -0600, Duane Bozarth

Did I happen to mention that I had a 1974 C-10?
...yeah, I thought so.
Thomas J. Watson - WoodDorker
Tom Watson wrote:

Did I happen to mention the world isn't fair?
...yeah, I thought so... :)
Tom Watson wrote:

Do I m'member right that it's a minty green?
UA100, who realized lately that he has eight years/ninety thou in/on the Jeep and a sale date is not in sight (site in WreckSpeak)...

What kind? Can't imagine hauling twobys and sheets in a Wrangler (YJ/TJ).
I'm able to throw stuff on top of my XJ...
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:38:12 -0500, the inscrutable Tom Watson

Amen, bruddah.

Boo! and Yea!, respectively.

My 90' F-150 has 106,895 on it as of today. I made a trip to Medford and noticed a horrible, musty, coolant smell. I found a pinhole leak in the heater hose. Imagine that, those cheap hoses only lasting that few miles and fewer than 15 years. Should I sue Ford?

Have you seen the PRICE on today's F-150? They start at over twice what I paid.

I have the shortbed (a manly 7') and it turns circles tighter than my sister's '73 MGB-GT, which is now for sale (in case you're branching out into imports for fun and profit.)

Speakin'o unnatural, my across the street neighbor just showed up in a Chebby Avalanche today, brand new. It's a super-super shortbed (4' if an inch) with a whopping FORTY ONE CUBIC FEET of cargo room! <bwahahahahaha>
========================================================= I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com --Socrates + Web Application Programming
<snip>

woodshop, bought one of these. Otherwise, he shows reasonably good taste.
He kept the old S10 to haul stuff in.
Patriarch
My kids call those things lego trucks. My wife calls them tupperware.
Larry Jaques wrote:

4.9L 6 needs new lower end so the oil pressure will stay up when idling in gear after it's hot. Big time cancer, needs new gas tank, etc. Still starts and runs good, pulls like a bear!
Looked over a mo. for a replacement. Needed an extended cab to fit my corpulent belly behind the wheel, wanted auto, cruise, air if I could, and definitely a full bed! All I could find around here were those dam "toy trucks", yuppie 4 x 4 ext. cabs & crew cabs with itty bitty beds.
Finally found "my" truck . . '95 F150, 4.9L 6, auto, air, cruise, ext. cab full bed. It's old, but runs fine, looks decent for it's age. I'm a happy camper!
In the meantime, SWMBO's '98 F150 ext. cab short bed w/cap has about 90K, doing great, it's our "family" car.
--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.
"Tom Watson" writes:

Having been an industrial sales engineer charged with calling on automotive customers, spent far too many years in the bowels of plants that had one of the big 3 names on the sign in the front.
I chose not to buy a truck from one of them.
Don't think I made a mistake.
Lew
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:52:37 GMT, Lew Hodgett

Which one?
On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:52:37 GMT, the inscrutable Lew Hodgett

Yabbut that Yugo Fleetside of yours doesn't win any Motor Trend awards.
LJ--who'd happily drive a Unimog as his backup vehicle if he could afford one.
========================================================= I drank WHAT? + http://www.diversify.com --Socrates + Web Application Programming
John T wrote:

<snip>
If you need a truck to haul things, fine.
If you need a family vehicle, you appear to already have another vehicle for that purpose.
SFWIW, when my Volkswagen Diesel Rabbit died in 1999, I got a "1999 Tonka Toy", AKA: A 4 cyl, 5 speed stick shift, Toyota Tacoma with a decent FM radio.
As this is being written, have 95,000 miles on it.
Building a boat requires that you haul a lot of stuff including about 12,000 lbs of spent lead from a shooting range as an example, but it doesn't require hauling a lot of crew. One comfortable bench seat works just fine.
To date, have replaced the battery, four(4) tires and a set of windshield wipers.
Change the oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles, the air filter every 6,000.
Guess I ought to think about having a tune up and maybe some new brakes, but I'm still getting over 25 MPG in SoCal traffic which is not to shabby.
YMMV
Lew

Get a Suburban. Seats up to six (even more with the optional 3rd seat), but the seats can be folded down to give you an 8-foot-long bed that's totally enclosed. Automatic? Cruise? Towing? No problem. They're great.

I've had my F-150 Club Cab since 97. The club cab is not all that bad, even for adults in the back seat. The 6' bed hasn't been a major issue, you have to be careful hauling sheet goods; I haul them with the tailgate up since an unfortunate incident with some melamine covered hardboard sheets. For really long boards, I'd look at adding a frame up front and extending them from the back of the pickup to the front over the cab and lashing them to the frame. When looking, I looked at the Ranger,but the back only had jump seats and we wanted the option of being able to carry adults (it's come in handy quite often).
Don't know if things have changed, but my first choice was used. I looked for several months and all I found were pickups that had over 70 to 80k miles on them and were priced at about $4k less than new -- hardly worth the less than 20% savings for a vehicle that was probably more than 50% used up. Finally wound up buying new; since I try to use vehicles as long as possible, it seemed the most cost-effective approach.
Same problem here - need a "real truck". Tired of hauling plywood and 2x4's in the BMW X5. I just bought a '96 Dakota SLT 4x4 with extended cab and 6 foot bed. V-8 with a 5-speed. Power everything, cruise. 85,000 miles. $6,000. Found it on autotrader.com at a little country town used truck lot about 20 miles from home.
My kids fit in the mini back seat just fine for trips around town (they are 14 and 16). Most borg stuff fits in the bed - plywood sits inside the bed and on top of wheel wells, in pockets molded in by manufacturer into which a 2x4 fits. 10 foot 2by fits fine with tailgate down. I cargo strap the end of the stack to the bumper. For longer loads, I have a bed extender that I bought at Harbor Freight for $20. It fits in the class 3 hitch and is basically a 4 foot beam that extends out the back, then forms a "T" onto which long boards rest. It works great.
Put 2,000 miles on it so far and it works perfect. Nothing busted when I bought it. Nothing busted today. And I get 15 mpg in town and 20 on the road.
Bob

\.

John if you are talking used, a 3/4 ton (F250, etc) is only a few hundred more then a 1/2 ton, and the difference in tow rating... well, my ol F150 was rated at 7000 lbs, my F250 is rated at over 13,000 lbs. If tow rating is really important, get a 3/4 ton Get the long bed, yes it is harder to park, but... Get a 2WD, it will be harder to find, since most people want a toy (ie short bed 4wd) not a work truck
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org