OT - this group is alone

Page 1 of 2
I read about 10 different newsgroups. With the proliferation of other online sources and the dropping of Usenet by several providers, the traffic in my newsgroups has been slowly going away.
For the last week or so, this newsgroup has been the only one with posts - not counting an occasional troller/spammer who gets through the filters.
Wonder how long this group will keep going?
carrying a cross.
On 9/10/13 11:11 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Old people with old computers. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 9/10/2013 11:17 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Probably a long time. Woodworking, unlike other types of groups, CB radio buffs, hot pics of Cristina Aguilara, global warming, etc is not a fad.
On 9/10/2013 11:11 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I monitor about a half-dozen; three of which are roughly the same volume as r.w; one is about half the other is 3-5X the traffic.
I don't see usenet disappearing entirely for a while yet altho certainly the proliferation of the web forum is all that newbies generally ever see unless they're pointed to usenet by other users.

On 9/10/13 12:24 PM, dpb wrote:

It's dead for all intents and purposes. Even if on life support, it should be shot and taken out of its misery.
The only people left are technophobes and grumpy old men too stubborn to change. Even "forums" are old school. There are woodworking groups on facebook and google+ that allow instant dialogue and video chatting.
In the time it takes to write this message and see a reply, an entire group of people could've discussed and solved a problem that we'll still be bitching and arguing about a month from now. Of course, that's the other reason this newsgroup is still breathing. People love to bitch and moan and we have fun doing it with each other.
There are several guys in here whose skill, knowledge and opinions I trust and that's pretty much the only reason I'm still here. If I could get all those guys active in the same facebook or google+ group, I'd place usenet in the same time capsule with my floppy discs and buggy whips.
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

I have firmly resisted Facebook and pretty much all of the web site based groups/forums. Despite the noise here at times I prefer it to the moderated/censored groups. Let people rise to the top or sink to the bottom on their own... censors interfere with natural selection!
There are also advantages to not being in real time contact for things like this... Read/write/leave and do something vs. read/write/read/write/read/write/what day is it? ;~)
On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 14:17:36 -0400, John Grossbohlin wrote:

I'm reasonably satisfied with the Yahoo groups I belong to - except when Yahoo decides to "improve" it. But I avoid most of that brouhaha by getting posts sent to my email and replying via email. The only time I actually go to the site is to peruse the photos and files.
carrying a cross.
On 9/10/2013 12:36 PM, -MIKE- wrote: ...

This grumpy ol' guy does none of the above (and won't)...
The most active group of those I mentioned is non-official support for a commercial software product the manufacturer of whom started a self-supported forum a couple of years ago so they could have more control than they have over usenet.
I have tried owing to some agreements I made with them to use it and provide aid there as have on the usenet group for years. It's simply too unwieldy and takes too long to use the web interface as all other forums or the other interfaces I've seen as compared to the plain text and threaded view of a classic newsreader. I've given it up after an effort of some months--it's just not worth the time/effort required. If fewer get the help I can offer there by not using the usenet portal, so be it; just way it'll have to be. Similarly for the other w-working sites I've seen--they're just too interface-intensive to be time-beneficial for my time invested/required.

Yeah but you have conform to the rules, here on usenet not so much.
Mark
On 9/10/13 1:35 PM, Markem wrote:

No "rules" on either sites I mentioned.
--

-MIKE-

On 9/10/2013 1:58 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
Sorry, Mike, but that's exactly what is killing Usenet.
Rec.Craft.Metalworking - completely overrun but political and personal attacks by people who don't feel they need to follow the rules.

On 9/10/2013 2:54 PM, Richard wrote:

Along w/ the topposters... :)
I suspect the biggest hidden rule is more stringent spam blockers is generally the case w/ all I've seen. That isn't all _a_bad_thing_ (tm) but otoh it doesn't take terribly much effort to have effective-enough filters that even r.c.m mentioned above is pretty much benign.
On 9/10/2013 1:58 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

And strangely, some of the really old timers, who participated here for years, can be contacted quicker on FaceBook (Tom Watson, Charlie Self, John Paquay, Luigi, David Eisan, among others), so not all the old wRec farts are Luddites. Go figure. ;)
Still don't feel, for my purposes, that FB is an alternative to the wRec; and G+ may just be a bit too full of hand tool snobs for most hanging on here.
Thought G+ was great for a while, can't abide web based forums, and have always gravitated back here out of preference. Just been too damned busy to do much but lurk lately.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Also, the rec around much earlier than most other woodworking groups. At least, it was for me. Sure, there's many other groups around now, but being active in them all would mean spending your whole day just screwing around on the keyboard. Much of it overlaps at some point.
For me, I've limited myself to three. rec.woodworking, Festool owners group and I regularly look into Canadian Woodworking swap meet.
On 9/10/2013 4:32 PM, Swingman wrote:

I agree with your assessments too, Karl. G+ is far superior to FB for the types of dialogs we're accustomed to here, but try as I might to get into it, it's just not doing it for me.
I haven't seen anybody here mention Reddit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddit
It's kind of the rage these days as the up and coming alternative to those "other" social networks, and I think it lines up pretty well as a modern alternative to newsgroups. It has all those things that I think we consider here to be advantages: anonymity (if you so choose), no "rules" (unless the creators and/or admins choose to lock it down), and a threaded discussion hierarchy (A BIG plus for me; FB and G+ annoy the hell out of me in this regard). It also has modern features that we're missing here, like integrated image hosting, and a rating system that allows you to "up-vote" or "down-vote" individual posts, which cause the higher-rated and more active threads and posts to sorta "float to the top", as it were. Pretty cool. There are literally a jillion "subreddits", and of course there is one for woodworking; check it out:
http://www.reddit.com/r/woodworking/
Of course, if "we" didn't find this one suitable, a "rec.woodworking" subreddit could easily be created that better fits our needs.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 9/14/2013 9:47 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

No interest at all, huh? I sorta expected at the very least a few replies along the lines of "That sucks!" :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 9/15/2013 6:38 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

Actually, appears to be a workable hybrid solution.
Except for the rampant, age based, resistance to change of the inmates.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 18:38:24 -0500, Steve Turner wrote:

I looked at it, but saw no resemblance to a newsgroup. For what it is, it seems OK.
As for a Usenet alternative, the best I've found is to configure a Yahoo group to send me all posts as plain text via email and I then respond as needed via email. That way I need to go to the website only to view files or photos.
Go to groups.yahoo.com and type woodworking into the search box. There are pages and pages of groups, several with thousands of members.
Of course Yahoo is constantly tinkering with things, so that option my not be available forever.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
"-MIKE-" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- Cold day when I get involved with facebook or google+.
Lew

I use FB everyday and keep to connected to friends and family. I added in one group for awhile that was advantageous to a project I was in but dropped it quickly.
I guess if I made a separate FB account for joining a WW group it may be worth it but not personally aware of any such group that would interest me.