OT: Theft by any name is still theft.

Page 2 of 2
Badger responds:

knowing the who and the history of the what thats the problem. <<
Yup. And every time you go to a flea market or yard sale, get the provenance of every item you buy.
Ebay is better policed than most used merchandise bazaars around the country, including gun shows, car shows and so on.
You are 100% right. But there is another reason not to steal copyrighted material, and I have to admit, it is a very selfish one. What would that reason be? If you liked it enough to steal it (whether it be a plan, a magazine, an article, or a software program that you "borrowed"), then you would probably like it enough that you would want to have more articles, improved software, more books, new plans, new songs, etc. But if there is insufficient profit in this venture, it will not continue, or it will not continue in a quality manner. So who loses? We all do.
Integrity - it's doing the right thing even when nobody is looking.
Regards, Fred Port Huron, Michigan

Yeah. They like something so much they steal it. So what do they do with bad stuff - they give them money?
Strange logic. It strives to drive good stuff away.
TeamCasa wrote:

I make my living off intellectual property that can be easily copied, so I am actually quite sympathetic to your point of view. And, indeed, copyright violation is a crime, of sorts. But "theft", ah well now, that is a stretch.

Oh god, someone always gotta bring the children into it.

The waitress is now short money. In most cases, she will have to make up for that money in her pocket. So, the waitress has less money then she did. Copyright violation deprives the copyright holder the *potential* to profit, but does not take money out of their pocket.

Store is made less money then it would have; a little more like copyright violation, but the fact the store no longer has the item to sell makes a big difference. When you copy something, you do not deprive them of the potential to sell it to someone else, only the potential to sell it to you. If you give a copy, it is closer to real theft. If you sell a copy, now you are much closer to real theft since clearly the buyer was willing to pay (some amount). The penalties are much higher as well.

Again, all of these are not the same as copyright violation. Again, when you copy, the original holder still has the goods, they are only denied potential revenue; nothing has been taken from them. The law differentiates between the two acts for very good reasons.
Again, I don't approve of the action, but do get a little tired of the hype of "theft is theft" etc.

On a completely different topic, here is the irritating thing: Not only is it *cheaper* to copy a PDF, but is sure is more convient. Why do these guys always have to be dragged out of the dark ages kicking and screaming? I would be so much more inclined to buy if I could a) buy article by article and more importantly b) buy on-line and have electronic delivery.
PK
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:57:28 -0500, Paul Kierstead

Isn't that a corrollary to Godwin's Law?
For those who don't know what Godwin's Law is:
http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/g/GodwinsLaw.html
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Well put Paul.
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:57:28 -0500, Paul Kierstead

In a past life the company I worked for prepared textbooks for hypertext delivery. (If you've ever seen the Dietel & Dietel "how to program" CDs you've seen my work (at least on the early ones)). At that time (6-12 years ago) it cost on the order of $5K - 10K to prepare the text for a book like that. I would guess that I could make a simple password protected and encrypted version of a magazine with full linking and indexing for under $2K now. I think a lot of magazines are missing the boat by not taking advantage of that for their back issues. How about a fully linked version of Fine Woodworking? Click on "Tage Frid" and get a short bio and a full bibliography with links to all his work in FWW. XML makes this sort of thing simple. At this point *PDF* is the dark ages.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com