OT: Theft by any name is still theft.

better outlaw money then...

Reply to
bridger

No, not blaming Ebay, they can't help whos selling what, its the not knowing the who and the history of the what thats the problem.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Dave Hall wrote: ...

Perhaps, perhaps not...I tend to think that most folks who would stoop to selling stolen goods won't be honor-bound when dealing on eBay, either. Not a given, certainly, but as the old saw says about apples and trees...

But, indeed, it would be difficult to tell for certain that anyone is using eBay to fence stolen goods--usually, though, in the auctions I've looked at it has either been pretty clear it was personal items or resale of liquidation auction items, etc., or various levels of professional traders. I tend to stay away from the latter as many have onerous policies. There are, I'm sure a lot who are legitimate, but if they're pro's I've rarely found that the deals were worth the hassle.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Badger responds:

knowing the who and the history of the what thats the problem.

Reply to
Charlie Self

That's what I'm saying, yes.

In maybe 6-8 years of buying stuff on eBay, I've had exactly _one_ problem. I don't buy from people with bad feedback from good people. I also don't buy the sort of thing that seems likely to be stolen, I suppose.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You may have only had one problem, but that does not mean that you have not purchased stolen goods. Unless the stuff comes with a title how would you know (hell, even titles can be forged). I have purchased brand new items in retail packaging from ebay. There is no way that I can know if the guy is a legitimate liquidator, bought a lot at an auction, bought the contents of a storage unit or simply stole some boxes from the back of a truck. I certainly try to deal with up front people, but I have found that the unscrupulous put on a better "honest face" than many saintly honest people do and people selling stolen goods which have a 100% profit factor often give better "customer service" than people making 5% on the sale can afford to give. It's a crap shoot. The best you can do is try to deal honestly and try to give deals the sniff test.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Have sellers pledge to the "Scouts Honour" before posting an item for sale.

Reply to
mp