OT The real reason for "global warming" Ba ha ha

Page 3 of 3
On 7/31/2012 10:57 AM, Han wrote:

global scale, a little global warming would be a GOOD thing. Arguments for local disruptions, yes. Arguments for global catastrophe, no.
Just Wondering wrote:

Right. * More people die from the effects of cold than of heat. * Growing seasons in much of the world would be extended. * An ice-free Northwest Passage would foster considerably more economical trade routes. Europe could, for instance, revel in cheap Chinese imports. * Some cities, i.e., San Francisco, New York, etc., might have to be abandoned.
Han wrote:

Yes. It's called "futility."
Your efforts could be put to better use than being part of the bucket brigade trying to bail the Titanic.

You're right. If the Titanic has indeed already hit the iceberg. If that hasn't yet happened, maybe we can reason with the captain, or fix the bad design.
--
Best regards
Han
On 7/31/2012 7:42 PM, Han wrote:

+1
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Of course, what is reasonable to one person may not be so to another. Good thing we respect one another's opinions!! (and that is meant exactly the way it sounds).
--
Best regards
Han

Hah! Curmudgeonliness knows no age barriers. (new word!)

Oops, valid and linear graph. I misread it at first.

I think I'd feel safe if you had a weapon, Han. I don't think you'd be swiss-cheesing the neighborhood with it. Besides, nothing on the market could shoot all the way from NY/NJ to OR. I'm safe.
BUT, Hayseuss Crisco. Why do so many people lose these concepts?
1) Gun ownership does -not- equate to criminality. NRA members and concealed weapon licensees commit far fewer crimes than the average American. It's not the number of guns one owns, it's what they do with them. A gun is just a tool.
2) The NRA is a business which does things only for itself. It exists to make money for its owners, period. Occasionally, what it does is good for the country and for gun owners. This is a good thing.
3) Criminals commit crimes with legal and illegal weapons. Some are guns. Gun owners are responsible for REDUCING crime, not committing it. Figures between 1 and 3 million per year are attributed here.
4) Gun control increases crime by taking (defensive) weapons out of the hands of responsible people (NON-criminals) and leaving them in the hands of criminals (who use them offensively.) England and Australia are prime examples of this.

The report isn't out yet, due to be released tomorrow. I read his article, though. While I am apt to disagree with his outcome, I find that he's not in the alarmist group yet. Please read his article, where he says things like "Its a scientists duty to be properly skeptical. I still find that much, if not most, of what is attributed to climate change is speculative, exaggerated or just plain wrong. Ive analyzed some of the most alarmist claims, and my skepticism about them hasnt changed." That doesn't sound like something TP would like, does it? TP makes him sound like a full convert, but he's nothing of the sort.
P.S: I think you'd like _Hard Green_ by Peter Huber. Let's do the most good with the least cost now, then work on the rest.

Good'un.
-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt
Larry Jaques

DAGS "Bjorn Lomborg"... not a denier, but a voice of reason with regard to policies concerning changing global climate, reviled and almost professionally ruined by the AGW crowd in a most repulsive manner. If you can't grasp that these alarmist' are very often blind, bigoted, and totally without scruples, you're part of the problem.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

His _Skeptic_ book adorns my shelf. He's the opposite of Muller, in that he was a greenie and became a skeptic.
-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt
Larry Jaques wrote:

Lomborg is rational. In essence, most of his work centers around priorities.
For example, the amount of money spent to prevent 3 cancer deaths a year by eliminating some obscure chemical from refinery smokestacks would be enough to test EVERY newborn black baby for sickle-cell anemia, thereby saving THOUSANDS of lives per year.

I like that idea of testing for hemoglobin S. I did that in a research project in the middle '60s, I believe in 1967. it is really cheap. Now what are you going to do when you find HbS in a baby? There still is no good cure or treatment for sickle cell anemia ...
--
Best regards
Han

Ditto Huber. If I had to choose a "best book" regarding ecology and sanity, it would have to be Huber's _Hard Green_.

Some people abort when they test early and find gross genetic flaws. I'd be pissed forever at my parents if they'd allowed me to be born with 3 legs, no eyes, or a lead crowbar in my back pocket.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
(comparing Paine to the current CONgress <deep sigh>)

This is out of the realm of prenatal testing. It was a research project to see whether sickle cell hemoglobin had independently evolved in tropical America, as it had in Africa. The theory was (and is) that HbS in heterozygotes (1 normal gene, 1 for HbS) affords a defense against malaria, which also occurred in the Americas. We tested indigenous Indians in Surinam who had had little if any exposure to whites or African blacks. None tested had HbS, indicating that HbS is an "African" "disease". While there have been many attempts with treatments to correct in one way or another HbS, or to prevent the sickling of the red cells that is the hallmark of the sickle cell disease, none that I know of have really succeeded. It is a horrible disease when you get really afflicted.
--
Best regards
Han

OI likely stands for Osteogenesis imperfecta. Osteo- means bone- related, genesis means formation, imperfecta means it doesn't work properly. See <http://teacherlink.ed.usu.edu/tlresources/units/champions/PaulHearne.PDF

He died rather horribly, but the ADA is his legacy ... And that has done a lot of mostly good to a lot of people.
My personal feeling is that if there is a chance you can prevent a lifetime of suffering, for instance by in vitro fertilization and checking whether the embryo does suffer from a genetic defect, then you should consider that. But it is REALLY FAR from me to say anything more, considering the luck that we have had in our lives.
--
Best regards
Han

I have not been personally involved, and once there is a child I'd likely do anything to help that child, but read up on OI, and the suffering involved. I am not sure that the disease is really inherited, more likely a "sporadic" mutation, so you wouldn't know until it is too late. OTOH, there are tests for Huntington's and other diseases. If that were to run in a family, I'd want to know and take precautions so my children wouldn't get it. As I said, I'm beyond the stage where would need to make decisions (even my kids are finished procreating, AFAIK). But I'd urge people with family history to do some planning. Then they have the facts to make their own decisions, and they should be respected no matter what. You'll find no inducement for eugenics from me.
--
Best regards
Han
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Gee, thanks. <g> It's next week, BTW. (59)

The ThinkProgress site is suspect: liberals twisting facts once again. The hockey stick graph is a real good clue to that without research. Their "study" indicating that "NRA Members Agree: More Gun Regulation Makes Sense" is such bullshit I can't stand it. I wonder how long it took them to find that many liberals with guns who were NRA members- in-name-only. Or did they just have liberals buy memberships to support that "study"?
And if AGWK is at the high end of predictions, why has each IPCC study since the first shown -less- warming than first reported? They stairstep down. My guess is that the computer models are being updated as they find new data to make them more, or at least _somewhat_, reliable.
Have you read the Koch report on their server or Muller's report, or just this completely cooked-up page at TP? (Fitting initials. I think of toilet paper when reading their dung.) I'm off to find the real reports now. It's no wonder that TP didn't link it, and I'm surprised that they linked Muller's.
To wit: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/opinion/the-conversion-of-a-climate-change-skeptic.html?_r=1&hp