Dumpster Trash TV Stand

The metal sofa table frame, which had a cracked glass top, was a leftover from a daughter's recent garage sale and was headed for the dumpster when it didn't sell.

The small bit of leftover plywood was headed for the construction site trash trailer.

Mix in a few short hours of shop time, some leftover stain, and zero dollars, and I'll shellac it when I finish an upcoming project and spray them both at once.

The 60" TV, our first TV purchase in 20 years, was a long promised gift to SWMBO.

In the mean time:

... it'll do for the time being ...

Reply to
Swingman

>> ... it'll do for the time being ...

Very nice. The wife has similar orders for me... only difference is the TV is getting mounted to the wall. I was going to french cleat it, but then I found a ridiculous price on a heavy-duty, metal flat-screen mount.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I considered mounting it on the wall, and when I built the house I put in all the necessary wiring to put one over the fireplace mantle, but around here the discussion about where furniture goes in a constant bone of contention.

Thus, I took the easy, cheap path .... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

> ... it'll do for the time being ...

Recycling is nice. Any Scots blood floating around?

We had a large TV cabinet with glass doors on the left and a hole for the TV on the right. Below was two shelves, two smaller doors and two drawers. When we upgraded to a larger flat screen I removed the top. sawed the top half off and put the top back on. It made a large surface for the new TV and still looks good.

Reply to
G. Ross

>> ... it'll do for the time being ...

Looks Great!

Reply to
Leon

Not unless there was one in the woodpile somewhere. :)

My parents were both raised during the depression and consequently we were taught, as kids, to "make do" with what was on hand.

Just another word for "recycle". ;)

Reply to
Swingman

We have one of those holes over the fire place, and to watch TV in the hole is a problem, as to see the TV you have to be practically laying down. Once you are laying down you can not work on your computer.

I am thinking of closing the hole with a nicely trimmed mirror. I suspect there will be a problem as there are plugins for the phone, tv, and power. In a previous thread there was a discussion of boarding up electrical outlets.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

I'm guessing you're past 30yrs of marriage, but it likely took less than

5 to discover the truth in the old adage, "Happy wife: happy life."
Reply to
-MIKE-

Swingman wrote in news:5YudnewFFunsl4nNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Great save!!

Reply to
Han

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:jv1938$k72$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

If you make the mirror removable, then getting to those things would not be a problem. If you want to move the phone and TV jacks to somewhere nearby, they'll be ok with a short cable and a coupler at the end. (Some TV wall plate inserts are a coupler. Telephone usually requires a bit of wiring.)

The power outlets are another story...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I wonder what the stats are on fried TVs above the mantle...

PWed, Swingy? Smart man.

-- It takes as much energy to wish as to plan. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to
Larry Jaques

except perhaps by example. Nothing with the remotest possibility of future use was ever thrown out.

My woodworking skills are still under development, but I built this...

from the remnants of my daughter's old "high bed" That fine "Swedish Pine" had been stacked in the garage for at least 6 years.

My wife knows nothing gets thrown out in our house either. We recently had the roof redone. There's a hatch over one of the closets that leads out to the roof, but the ladder had never been installed. It sat in the garage since the house was built in 1949. (we bought it about

13 years ago). I decided to put it in so I could occasionally look in on the roofers. To make a long story short, the ladder was a couple of inches short and wouldn't have caught solid wood at the top end to screw into. I decided to make a small platform for it to sit on at the bottom of the closet.

I originally had in mind a couple of 2x6s on flat, but my wife asked that I try not to make it too ugly. So I capped the platform with a piece of white melamine shelving, and put a narrow piece on the front of the "step" as well. My wife's first words after "nice" were, "Is that wood from one of the old wardrobes?". "No," I said, "It's the bathroom shelf we had in (the apartment we lived in 20 years ago)".

Reply to
Greg Guarino

> ... from the remnants of my daughter's old "high bed" That fine

I've learned to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff, but it's not my nature. Besides, my wife makes up for both of us ... she has her check stubs from 1975.

Reply to
Swingman

>>> ... from the remnants of my daughter's old "high bed" That fine

I have every pay and pension slip from IBM since 1963.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Caution!!!

Leon

I thought it was just my family that did that. When doing Mom's estate, I came across the cancelled check to the hospital that paid for me - with every other check before and after. In retrospect, I could have saved it, but it went in the shredder with the rest.

1975 would have been in the 'recent' box.

-J

Reply to
Joe

On 7/31/2012 7:05 AM, Joe cancelled check to the hospital that paid for me -

The difference is that my wife just has the check stubs ... she's never balanced a check book in her life.

Reply to
Swingman

Why? (Mine have all been electronic since at least 1990 - never received a paper "pension slip" from IBM.)

Reply to
krw

I get paper pension slips 3 or 4 times a year - last month in the tax year and whenever the amounts change. I like to keep my early pay slips to remind me that I started as a CE on £15 per week (there were 2.4 dollars to the pound then). These days £15 will pay for the first round in the pub or a quarter-tank of petrol.

Reply to
Bob Martin

I worked in the production control department of Heston Aircraft Corporation in Hounslow, Mddx, for £15 per week in 1963.

Couldn't spend it all ...

Reply to
Swingman