OT---The media

And you wonder how things get misconstrued and blown out of proportion when listening to the media.

By Business Insider, Colin Campbell

Both of former President George W. Bush's daughters aren't following the family's Republican Party heritage.

Jenna Bush Hager, the younger of the Bush twins, bla bla bla.

Now I ask does, any one really care or need clarification as to which twin popped out first? Does it matter? One would assume that the name of the daughter might be enough information to distinguish between the two. Does anyone need further clarification, really?

Another case of putting too much impertinent information into the story to fill space.

Reply to
Leon

The general quality of journalism has dropped significantly from the time I was a reporter for a midwest daily in the late 60s and early 70s. Part of that can be attributed to the paring of the older, more experienced (and h igher paid) reporters and editors to align costs with declining revenues in the print world. Part of it is the generally lousy job colleges and unive rsities do in teaching the craft. The example you posted is just incompete nt editing. More egregious examples are easy to find on every medium in ev ery market. The worst offenders, IMHO, are the large cable news channels. I've started tuning to BBC America and PBS for decent, competent reporting .

Larry

Reply to
Gramps' shop

Been watching OANN lately. Not long enough to make up my mind, but so far, so good. Even better that it is being reviled by the likes of the Daily KOokS, so it must be hitting a nerve.

Reply to
Swingman

While there may be some items that have affected media circulation, I believe one of the greatest causes for the decline of the traditional media is the extreme bias in some organizations.

There are entirely too many stories that are like the old one about the two horse race between the US and the USSR. "The day after the race the media reported the the US horse came in next to last, and the USSR horse came in second."

I believe the US population is tired of this type of reporting and have given up on traditional media as a source of their news.

I know in our family, we have stopped taking the newspaper because of the extreme bias expressed on every issue.

We still watch the TV news for the entertainment value like one reporter who was interviewing the person in charge of an operation that produced a caustic byproduct. When the person in charge told the report that the by product was like Draino she responded by asking if his staff was trained to handle Draino. I will bet she did not know what Draino was.

With "Intelligent" reporters like this who needs Bill Cosby.

Reply to
knuttle

I can't not mention the local Channel 2 anchor. She is there because she is pretty. Fresh out of college 20+ years ago as their traffic girl and straight to the anchor desk.

Anyway she reported an airplane incident. The airplane skidded into a crash. There was no mention of the crash that the airplane skidded in to... ;~)

And my latest favorite, The car over turned. We all understand that the car turned over but that is not proper English, ending the sentence with a preposition. Well maybe it is an adverb and could be turned over......

So what the heck is overturned???? Was the steering wheel turned too much? Is that like over steer?

Maybe they should think a little harder and tell us what really happened. The car ended up in an inverted position or the car was up side down as a result of the accident.

Reply to
Leon

"overturn" is a verb, and it's in all my dictionaries (electronic and dead-tree). Ending the sentence with the past-tense of a verb is perfectly proper when you're making a statement that something happened in the past.

The tree fell.

The dog barked.

The car overturned.

If you prefer passive voice:

The car was overturned.

It's a verb. In your example it's past tense [but you misspelled it by inserting a space in the middle].

Here's what Wicti Etymology

From Middle English overturnen, equivalent to over- +? turn. Compare also Middle English overterven (?to overturn?), see terve. Verb

overturn (third-person singular simple present overturns, present participle overturning, simple past and past participle overturned)

  1. To turn over, capsize or upset (something) 2. To overthrow or destroy something 3. (law) To reverse a decision; to overrule or rescind 4. To diminish the significance of a previous defeat by winning; to comeback from.

No, it means the car was turned upside-down. The roof was on the ground and the wheels were on top.

I don't understand what your complaint is.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Ships do come about don't they?

Reply to
athiker

But did the car overturn or did the drive overturn? Is that what caused the car to turn over, the steering being overturned?

So why not just say something turned over as the #1 definition states? Or is the definition poor English?

Yeah, but your sentence, the car was turned upside-down, ends in a preposition, down is a location. That is supposedly a no no, do not end a sentence with a preposition.

FWIW my dictionary indicates over to an adverb also, modifys the verb, turned

The reporters are trying to make the last words in a sentence "turned over" grammatically correct as easily as possible, by reversing the two words, and making the matter confusing.

Oddly they continue to say that the pedestrian was run over, why don't they say the pedestrian was over run.

Reply to
Leon

;~) I believe that would be correct, since the sentence did not end with about. I'm obviously no English guru. ;~)

The media would probably change that to, ships do just about over come don't they?

Reply to
Leon

Probably so. :)

Reply to
athiker

BBC and PBS seem a lot closer to the ideal of reporting the news, instead of editorializing, than any of the commercial "news" broadcasts.

OANN? Those are the folks that think Fox news is too liberal :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The word "overturned" is well understood. It is a verb with the subject being "car". A car is not a wheel, so there is no confusion. It does not mean the same thing as "over-steered".

Well, it wasn't supposed to be turned on that axis, at all, so if it's shiny-side down, I suppose it was "over turned". ;-)

Like many verbs, it's precise meaning depends greatly on the subject. Would you limit the language to only one way of saying something? Are you French?

Only in some quarters. Others have no problems with sentences ending such.

"Overturned" is one word. It the verb of the sentence.

The words weren't reversed. "Overturned" is one word.

Different word. "Overrun" is a big mistake for an airplane or something ISIS did in I.

Reply to
krw

Huh? "Come about!" is a sentence.

Do you mean "overcome"? Complexly different meaning.

Reply to
krw

The deal is that 5~6 years ago it was always turned over, then one changed and they all played me too. No one has any doubt what turned over means. When you hear them reading of the teleprompter, one cannot distinguish overturned from over turned.

Reply to
Leon

It is what you hear on TV vs the way it is spelled.

Reply to
Leon

I can't not mention the local Channel 2 anchor. She is there because she is pretty. Fresh out of college 20+ years ago as their traffic girl and straight to the anchor desk.

HEY! WATCH YOUR MOUTH! You leave Dominique alone!

News, huh. that's what she does?

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Texas

Dunno, but my stomach may overturn...

Reply to
Richard

;~)

Reply to
Leon

That's fine also. In English there is usually more than one way you can state something.

No, it is not.

No, down is not a preposition. Down is an adverb.

That's a myth. It is often perfectly fine to end a sentence with a preposition.

The newscaster was using the single word "overturn", and that word is a verb.

No. They were using the word "overturned". And they were using it correctly. You misinterpreted it as the two word phrase over turned.

Because that's not what the word "overrun" means.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

That is a proposition up with which I will not put! [Attributed to W. Churchill] mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn