OT - the fun and games of "upgrading" (computerwise)

Page 4 of 4
"Robatoy" wrote:

Tilley shorts, at Starbucks while admiring your freshly washed (with recycled water) Toyota Prius.
My Tilley hat I love, even learned to reef my Tilley hat with one hand, but Tilley shorts, I'll pass, along with the rest of the crap above.
Lew

And carry a Moleskine notebook just like Ernest Hemmingway.

Truth is... I run Windows XP Pro very reliably and quickly on my Mac.... at the same time as I run OSX Leopard. All I want from a computer, is to get my work done. I don't want to know from .INI's .bat's and such. I have 3 macs at home and I spend about 1/2 hour per month doing IT.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Rwindow.jpg The farking PC at the shop needs a LOT more attention. I guess I'm too stupid to operate a PC? Running that thing, is like needing 26 wrenches in a specific order to change a fricking routerbit? Those PC's are horribly underdeveloped.
r (aka Zebco 6)

I wrote my first program in 1965. I worked with software and hardware off and on until 2001 - and still muck about. I Hate PCs. Anytime I've ever upgraded Anything on a PC it his taken me ALL Friggin DAY to get the job done. My son is a sysadmin for a national company. When I need something done I call him and he helps me fly it into the ground. I Hate PCs. But I've got way too much invested.
On Tue, 13 May 2008 04:20:18 GMT, Lobby Dosser

Skinning moles sounds tedious.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Compared to catching them, it's a piece of cake.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/Macbookceomicrosoft.jpg

That logo on the laptop is too small for these eyes ...
--
Best regards
Han
Robatoy wrote:

Suspicion confirmed.
It's ironic that MicroSoft's first Killer App WAS NOT it's operating system - but rather Excel, running on a Mac and exploiting the Apple GUI which MS then tried to copy with WinDoze, failed, kept trying and is STILL trying to copy. At the moment they've gotten all the way up to approximate Mac's OS 7 level (Apple is currently up to Mac OS 10.5.2).

Uhhnoooo... not another Mac snob??? LOL.
me tooooo (except the snob part...<G>)
Robatoy wrote:

Not a snob, but rapidly becoming a fan after getting my wife an iMac to replace her Windows laptop.

The Apple GUI is a copy of the PARC GUI. Been there, used it.
charlieb wrote:

What's ironic is that Microsoft writes their own OS, while Apple tacks a proprietary GUI on top of freeware. And probably doesn't donate a cent to FSF or BSD or any of the others who actually did most of their development for them.
As for Excel being Microsoft's first "killer app", actually that was BASIC, without which the Apple II would have flopped miserably.
--John
"charlieb"wrote

Yabbut ... go back and take a look at which OS your original post starting this thread was bitching about. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Well... yes... but I think I know what got to charlieb:
"If you find a computer - and software compatible with it - that does what you want it to do, and come to know it and the software you've acquired for it like the back of your hand, there's a tendency to stick with it - while the rest of the world moves on."
The 'world', in this case, moved on by such an enormous leap (spread out over many years) that it was more a realisation of culture shock than an evaluation of the platform in question. Holy cow!! Colour????
People either love or hate Apple and there seems to be no space in between. Personally, I think backwards from the task at hand. Get the job done. My finances have been PC based up to a few year ago, when MYOB made a commitment to keep supporting OSX.
When I have to put a nail in, I really don't care if it is a Stanley or a Estwing hammer. If I were to be swinging a hammer all day, I'd probably look into which would be best for me. My Macs ARE PC's... they all boot in Windows XP pro, native, and the only thing I am happy about, is the fact that Apple's hardware seldom breaks, and I get two quality computers for the price of one... although they are a little more money than PC, comparably equipped, the difference in price isn't that great.
Like charlieb, I learned certain software like the back of my hand, including all the CAD and 3D a man could want, but my upgrade path has been consistent both from a hardware point of view as well as software.
Sometimes I boot one of my Macs from my museum. Things have changed.
...and that reminded me of something that happened the other day. Back in the late 1960's, I had a girlfriend. She was the most beautiful creature on this planet. Her parents moved her out west and we lost touch. In my mind, she was still a fine female specimen... till I ran into her again. Age wasn't kind to her either. We're talking an 8" floppy here...just to mix a few metaphors...<G>
I'm sure she felt the same.
On Tue, 13 May 2008 06:34:05 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

You're talking about her reaction, right?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
sorry for your troubles, but Windows (Vista) is no better! IHM & STD's