I do use CrossoverOffice (a WINE wrapper). For some things it works well: TreePad, Quicktime, Lotus 123 (yes, I still have a few 123 spreadsheets, and TaxAct. For other things not so well. Thus far I have found that it won't load TurboCAD (I went with VariCAD under Linux), H&R Block TaxCut (too bad, that was what I started using when TurboTax implemented their spyware activation scheme), or MindManager.
I used TaxAct in Crossover Office this year for taxes, it worked, but I was a bit more skeptical of the results than with TaxCut. Don't remember all of the details, but there were a couple state forms that I knew I had to complete, but TaxAct missed. I was able to force TaxAct to fill them out, but that is not optimal.
Haven't tried the Msoft Office products under Crossover, I'm using OpenOffice at home.
You can find what they do and don't support at www.codeweavers.com

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I've been using vmware-server (under linux) for almost a year and you can run most versions of windoze if you already have a license and linux and solaris 10. No rebooting to run any win app you might need, just boot up your virtual machine and have at it - in fact as many virtual machines as you might need. Real memory is the key, and I've put 4GB on several wintel machines for under $100 each. Virtual machine aren't emulators and run at your hardware rates if not memory bound. If your app ran on a non virtual machine, it will run on a virtual machine.
Doug Winterburn wrote:

I looked into that; downside is that I would have to buy a Windows license. My machine has Windows 2000 with no OS disk -- it's an end-of-life machine that our company sells to employees when refreshing desktops. The license is a legal license, but there is no recovery if the machine has problems and also no disk that I can use to install into a virtual machine. The price was right though and with OpenSuse Linux, a three year old machine runs faster than most new machines with an Msoft OS.

Thanks Doug and M&J! I might go the virtual machine route, although that would mean reinstalling everything. Does a virtual installation of windows do its updates too? I assume it does, as long as the hard drive is big enough.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

The virtual machine is like a separate computer within the computer. On a machine with enough RAM you can have whole virtual networks going with virtual servers and virtual workstations running a bunch of different operating systems, all on the same machine.
You have to install Windows on the virtual machine just like you would on a physical machine, with each virtual machine needing its own installation, and with XP and later its own product activation. You install updates in the virtual machine just like you would on a physical machine, again with each virtual machine having to be updated separately. Note--read the license _carefully_ before you call Microsoft if you've having a problem with activation in the virtual machine--some versions are licensed for virtual machines, others are not, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason to which are and aren't--if you're trying to activate a version that's not licensed for a virtual machine and you tell them that that's what you're doing they probably won't give you a code.
If you have a valid product key for Windows 2000, by the way, then you should be able to obtain media without a key inexpensively--call the hardware manufacturer and see--price should be 20 bucks or so. If that route fails, you can generally find images of the distribution media on bittorrent--burn one to a CD and install with your key and you're set.
--John
Put Linux on it. Ubuntu is a great release for Linux newbs. Your computer will run a lot faster and you'll probably be impressed with how it looks/works. Windows XP isn't a new OS by any means. Ubuntu gets a new release every 6 months and it generally has major updates. I started out with a dual boot setup, just in case I needed Windows for something. As more time went by I dropped Windows entirely. Ubuntu also has automatic updates and a point and click library of thousands of apps - all for free. None of it's pirated.

Thanks all!
I'll get back to this when I retire <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han
dayvo wrote:

Haven't used WinBlows since win98 and been happy ditchin it ever since.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Mark & Juanita wrote:

You might have a look at GNUcash, its a suggestion. I'm not an accountant, but I use it in my business and it works great for me.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Good idea! When I retire ...
--
Best regards
Han

*snip*
My system does have a few issues, but they're not because of Vista. It's Lenovo's fault. They didn't get power management right, and that's a huge issue on a laptop.
User Account Control was a bit annoying during initial set up. It's easy enough to disable, though. I reenabled it after I was done moving and installing, and it's not popped up unless I've headed in to the control panel.
Puckdropper

charlieb wrote:

[truisms snip]
Speaking as one whose first computer (that I did some programming on) was a Burroughs E101 externally programmed thing that was about the size of a desk (and did about as much). I found that over the years that it took about six months to become pretty much obsolete technically. I can still talk in theoretical terms about software and data design. My usage of hardware is pretty much constrained to communications and word processing (don't forget Solitaire). We still replace hardware every four or five years and it's never easy or intuitive. In short don't believe ads or the sweet talk of a computer geek.
    mahalo, (and good luck)     jo4hn

Snip
I see you Charlieb.
I feeeel your pain. It seems that I cannot make a change to my internet settings or install new internet software with out my ISP also going down at the same moment. So I try to undo or fix it on my end all the while my ISP is going up and down on their end.

Charlie, pop over to comp.sys.mac.comm for help getting the new Mac set up for email and news, comp.sys.mac.apps for general application help, and comp.sys.mac.sys for general OS help.
djb
--
Woodworking links and more at http://www.woodenwabbits.com

My first personal computer ran CPm.
It had Wordstar 1 on it.
I was very disturbed to go to DOS based stuff.
I got over it.
My first Windows computer was a Dutch box from AST.
It was OK.
I actually miss the 3.1 flat file.
I bought 95 when it came out ("Start Me Up").
I didn't know it then but boxes are designed to run with certain software.
I bought a Sony Vaio.
It ran 95 just fine.
I bought a laptop that ran 95 just fine.
It didn't like Windows 98 SE or the bogus Millenium Edition.
It was made by a monitor company that had reached too far (CTX).
I bought a no name box from MIcro Center.
Ran Win XP and backwards, just fine.
I bought another laptop that was an XP box - a Dell.
It runs fine but is four years old and one bad accident away from a new box.
I bought a MacBook for my daughter on April 23.
It runs everything but it is a cult phenomenon.
I bought a laptop for my wife a year ago.
It runs WinVista.
I don't know what that means and I don't care.
I was happiest when I was running DOS.
wrote:

Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Only if you use wireless internet, wearing your Birckenstocks and Tilley shorts, at Starbucks while admiring your freshly washed (with recycled water) Toyota Prius.
On Mon, 12 May 2008 17:38:56 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Wireless Internet    Check Birkenstocks        Check Tilley Shorts        Sherwin Williams Painter's Whites Starbucks        Fuck Starbucks Toyota Prius        1987 Ford F150
Thank god I'm a country boy!
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

On Mon, 12 May 2008 17:59:19 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

No gunrack but a Mossberg 12G behind the seat and a Colt 1911 under the seat.
Tom Watson tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet www.home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Athena D'Italia III Over & Under, a gift from my bookie. No small arms.