OT: Sunday morning phone call.

Page 1 of 2
Caller ID: Unknown Number No message left. We roll over and go back to sleep.
one hour later
Caller ID: Unknown Number Message: This is Children's Hospital in Columbus Ohio....Angela dives for the phone as Em, our 16-year old plays the 8-man position on her high-school rugby team and is playing some games in Columbus. It's the registration desk wanting some insurance information and a permission... Ang wants to know what happened. The registration desk can't say but they want some information...Ang (now getting a bit more assertive) "What happened to my daughter!!?" Now, on speaker phone, I hear babbling about insurance and other stuff while Ang is trying to deal with what this is all about. Finally, the registration clerk says that it says something about 'Head-Neck' injury.
To put things in perspective, Ang spent 10 years working in rehab, we also shipped my sister off to the US a few years ago with 'Head-Neck' injuries. She remains paralyzed. A local high-school kid recently became a quadriplegic during a football practice.
Needless to say, a wave of panic rolls in as we just can't get any information, the registration desk keeps harping on about information (which they actually had there if they would only have flipped over a sheet we sent along with our daughter.) Finally we get a doctor who tells us that there are no serious injuries, just the odd chance of a light concussion and she's fine to travel home on the 8 hour bus-ride.
I guess that's one way t start a Sunday..
Which left us wondering WTF is a registration clerk doing calling anybody with potentially very serious news? Was the money that much more important?

Sorry to hear that. Hope Em is going to be alright. Suggest writing a letter to the hospital director and the insurance company (your PM?).
--
Best regards
Han

Yikes. I hope her recovery is swift.
I share your angst. 1-1/2 yrs ago, I got a cell phone call from my then-18 yr old, hysterical daughter.
"Daddy, I've rolled the Honda, it's totalled, and Nellie is bleeding really bad!"
Nit calls you wanna' get.
-Zz

When my shop was still 25 km out of town, I received a call from the hospital that my oldest daughter (15 at the time) had been hit by a car while on her bike. "They couldn't tell me anything more." They did say she was in emerg.. that drive to the hospital was the longest of my life..... She turned out bruised and a bump on her head... that was all.

I was going to suggest that you send that kind of information along with the child when attending events like this. Then I reread this and saw that you did do this. Which means that the folks on this end were totally incompetent or can't read.
I would certainly express my displeasure. It is obvious that you are most concerned about the safety and wellbeing of your child. They should realize this. Not handled well at all.
You are going to be anxiously awaiting your daughter's arrival. Give her some extra love and attention for scaring the hell out of you! ;)
And give her a big GET WELL SOON from the gang at the wreck.

Welcome to the medical care system in the USA. Sorry to hear about your daughter's injury and I hope for complete recovery.
Max
You do know that Shakespeare was right, don't you?
Henry VI, part 2.
Life would be so much simpler if we just followed that simple dictum. ;-)
Seriously, really feel for you and the family. This had to give a new definition to stress.
Glad she is okay.
Deb
Robatoy wrote:

Ohio....Angela dives

position on her

Columbus.
information and a

registration desk

getting a bit more

insurance and other stuff

about. Finally, the

'Head-Neck' injury.

working in rehab, we

with 'Head-Neck'

kid recently became

can't get any

about information

have flipped over a

no serious injuries,

fine to travel home

doing calling

money that much more

You gonna share Shakey's dictum or just be a dick?
nb

Isn't that where: "First, lets kill all the lawyers." comes from?

'Okay' is a relative term in this situation. We got her home and she's wobbly and confused. Remembers nothing of the morning prior to impact but remembers everything from yesterday and beyond. We'll get her checked out more throughly.

That seems like the right thing to do. Brain injuries are nothing to sneeze at. Ik zal voor jullie duimen!
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/25/2010 9:32 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Experienced that twice, once getting thrown off a horse, and the other time playing football. Both concussions, and to this day I remember nothing for most of the day prior the incidents, and just fuzzy recollections for a few hours afterward. Both times I have vague recollections of anger, immediately after, at not being able to remember.
Dad always said if I ever fell on my feet I'd probably kill myself.
You're right about a thorough checkup, In one of the incidents above, and who knows which, I actually fractured a vertebrae in my neck, something which wasn't known until an xray some twenty five years later.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Bummer. Glad everything turned out for the better.
nb
Was she the girl at Fort Rapids with the ice bag on her head?
Robatoy wrote:

I shall ask her...was it a Canadian team playing? Is that close to Columbus?
"Robatoy" wrote: <snip a tale of potential horror>
Tough when it's a kid and there isn't a bloody thing you can do.
Hope everything works out.
Lew
Good to hear it wasn't serious. Get well soon, .... for everyone.
Sonny
I do not know if they were Canadian, but I saw Rugby girls with red shirts. Fort Rapids is in Columbus. It is an indoor water park. My daughters girls scout troop were there for the day.
Mike in Ohio
Robatoy wrote:

<snip>

There were 66 teams. They played at the university. For the most part, it is her pride that got hurt, that and the prospect that she won't be playing for a while. She's just not the type you sideline. That girl loves her rugby.

That's scary. Glad it turned out good. Dollar more inportent to them. Years ago at a care center a fellow walked in with a blood soaked towell on his arm. Said I need help quick. Cut my arm with a chain saw. Desk clerk (aka a jerk) said he must fill out paper work first. WW