Wondering if anyone knows why a non-cordless phone would require
batteries for the caller-ID function to work. Forget about any other
features (time, etc.) Isn't the signal from the phone company enough
to display the incoming call's information?
A battery backup would only require a small rechargeable cell, or
maybe a watch battery - not 4 AAA's.
I suspect the real reason is that there's not enough current present
on the phone line to power the device until AFTER the phone is taken
off-hook, which of course is too late to actually read the Caller*ID
data. Plus you would be unable to review your calls list, etc.,
without first taking the phone off-hook.
Current doesn't just magically appear when you take the phone off hook.
The way a phone works is that when you talk, the current in the line
fluctuates. This is what carries your voice.
The answer to the OP question is that a telephone is expecting a
certain voltage depending on the on-hook and off-hook state. If you
tried to use the line voltage, it would cause an impedence mismatch and
in effect "short-circuit" the audio, or cause distortion.
There's always current in the lines. I know this because last year I
lost my job and could not pay my electric bill. When they shut off my
power, I just connected a large diode to my phone line. Then I added
a huge capacitor for stability. After the capacitor, I placed a
circuit that caused the DC to be converted to an 60 cycle AC, along
with a voltage regulator. I ran this to my breaker panel and wired it
to the incoming main cables, which no longer went to the power company
because the electric meter was removed. I had lights in the house,
but found they were dim. Measuring the voltage showed I had about 60
volts going into the house wiring. A step up voltage doubler
transformer solved this problem and I ran my entire house from the
phone lines. The one problem I had was that I could not make phone
calls when I ran the electric dryer, range, or air conditioner. I
always had to shut those devices off when I made a phone call.
I also noticed that the retrace lines on my tv set would get harmonics
which fluctuated according to my voice when I talked on the phone and
tried to watch tv at the same time. I just learned to live with that
small annoyance. All of this worked great until I turned on the range
top, range oven, and the air conditioner at the same time. All of a
sudden my phone line overloaded and melted where it connects to the
house. When the phone company came they noticed the heavy load on my
lines and refused to re-connect me until I removed my equipment. I
removed it, they reconnected me, and after they left I hooked it all
up again. I have been more careful since then not to overload the
On Jul 25, 11:35 am, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Unless of course he is using the phone wires instead of electric
lines to illegaly tap into the AC at the pole, not
the current coming from the phone network, which will be very foolish
a) The phone wires would heat up like the resistance wires in a
toaster esp with the AC and the range on
because they are way too thin for the amount of current being pulled
b) His house would burn down :)
You guys are too late, I've gone ahead and patented it.
Except that mine uses a cordless phone, so I can take it with me
and have free power wherever I go. Maybe I'll even sell a little
power to the neighbors.
Most modern Consumer electronics first convert the AC to DC
and then using a HVSPSU (High Voltage Switching Power Supply Unit)
convert the DC to whatever the appliance needs internally. so it
shouldn't matter. However if you use the same PSU convert it to 120VDC
and use a modified sine wave inverter you can make 50 or 60 HZ line
frequencies. That works for almost everything, except for some AC
motors. ie: clocks or turntables that don't use a DC direct Drive or
belt system. My Garrard 210 worked fine on a modified square wave as
did my 1962 Phillips Open reel tape machine.
However... As Mythbusters tested the free energy approach. the
current/voltage is low. you would need to store it up via a
rechargable battery to provide enough current/voltage for most
From the Desk of the Sysop of:
Planet Maca\'s Opus, a Free open BBS system. telnet://pinkrose.dhis.org
I heard about a guy who got pissed off at the phone company so he
hooked his phone line to a 220 range outlet to fry their system.
However, it appears his plan failed because his phone lines started to
smoke then his house breaker tripped. Nothing else happened. I
suspect he blew the phone line fuses where they enter the house before
there phone company was damaged.
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:17:22 -0700, email@example.com wrote:
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.