Anyone use Ichthammol ointment for removing slinter / sliver?

So I just bought some Ichthammol ointment to try and draw out a particularly stubborn doug fir splinter that broke off somewhere deep in the joint on my index finger. I'm convinced it has gone underneath a tendon or into the bone or something. The finger is pretty swollen. Old wives tale says this salve works. Any of you old farts use this? Looks and smells like roofing tar!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Yes it does work , if its gone as deep as you say though you need proper medical treatment

Reply to
steve robinson

It works real good for ~slightly~ embedded wood parts. If you cannot see any part of the wood you need to dig it out in another manner, especially if it's as bad as you say.

RP

Reply to
RP

If it is in the joint, it must be removed surgically. If it is in there too long the body's defense will encapsulate the foreign object and make you suffer for a long, long time. BTDT. I had a nice piece of oak splinter that accordioned itself into the joint of my right index finger. The superficial part of it had snapped under the skin so I dug it out but obviously didn't get it all. 4 Months later that joint wouldn't even bend without a nice shot of pain. Off to our awful medical system where I was handled that same afternoon, by an expert, for free.

Reply to
Robatoy

If it is in the joint, it must be removed surgically. If it is in there too long the body's defense will encapsulate the foreign object and make you suffer for a long, long time. BTDT. I had a nice piece of oak splinter that accordioned itself into the joint of my right index finger. The superficial part of it had snapped under the skin so I dug it out but obviously didn't get it all. 4 Months later that joint wouldn't even bend without a nice shot of pain. Off to our awful medical system where I was handled that same afternoon, by an expert, for free.

Somebody Paid.

Reply to
LDosser

If it is in the joint, it must be removed surgically. If it is in there too long the body's defense will encapsulate the foreign object and make you suffer for a long, long time. BTDT. I had a nice piece of oak splinter that accordioned itself into the joint of my right index finger. The superficial part of it had snapped under the skin so I dug it out but obviously didn't get it all. 4 Months later that joint wouldn't even bend without a nice shot of pain. Off to our awful medical system where I was handled that same afternoon, by an expert, for free.

Must be a terrible medical system if it took you 4 months of pain before you decided it was worth going in for. ???

Reply to
Leon

Leon:

LOL. okay smartypants. I tend to try to 'walk things off'. I have nothing but excellent experiences with our healthcare system.. besides, I have connections. (SO and her troupe) :-)

Reply to
Robatoy