Anyone use Ichthammol ointment for removing slinter / sliver?

So I just bought some Ichthammol ointment to try and draw out a particularly stubborn doug fir splinter that broke off somewhere deep in the joint on my index finger. I'm convinced it has gone underneath a tendon or into the bone or something. The finger is pretty swollen. Old wives tale says this salve works. Any of you old farts use this? Looks and smells like roofing tar!
JP
Add pictures here
βœ–
Jay Pique wrote:

Yes it does work , if its gone as deep as you say though you need proper medical treatment
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Apr 25, 11:59 am, "steve robinson"

If it is in the joint, it must be removed surgically. If it is in there too long the body's defense will encapsulate the foreign object and make you suffer for a long, long time. BTDT. I had a nice piece of oak splinter that accordioned itself into the joint of my right index finger. The superficial part of it had snapped under the skin so I dug it out but obviously didn't get it all. 4 Months later that joint wouldn't even bend without a nice shot of pain. Off to our awful medical system where I was handled that same afternoon, by an expert, for free.
Add pictures here
βœ–

If it is in the joint, it must be removed surgically. If it is in there too long the body's defense will encapsulate the foreign object and make you suffer for a long, long time. BTDT. I had a nice piece of oak splinter that accordioned itself into the joint of my right index finger. The superficial part of it had snapped under the skin so I dug it out but obviously didn't get it all. 4 Months later that joint wouldn't even bend without a nice shot of pain. Off to our awful medical system where I was handled that same afternoon, by an expert, for free.
Somebody Paid.
Add pictures here
βœ–

_Everybody_ Paid. That's the purpose of insurance, after all. Having a single entity (government or otherwise) collect the insurance and requiring all to participate is the most cost effective way (compare the 5% overhead of the candian system to the 33% overhead of UHC[*] or Anthem, or the 2% overhead of medicare).
Think about it - if you're going to require all to carry insurance, then having someone who _already_ collects insurance (e.g. medicare via payroll deduction or 1040 for self employed) do the collection (if not necessarily the processing) only makes sense.
scott
[*] 2008 UHC 10K. USD 5,000,000,000 profit, USD 22,000,000,000 cost exclusive of payments to medical providers (i.e. overhead) from USD 80,000,000,000 revenue.
33% of every insurance premium dollar goes to the insurance company; plain highway robbery.
I think I'd rather have a federal agency tell me what healthcare will get reimbursed (and at what rate) than for UHC, Anthem or my employer to decide whether or not a procedure is covered.
Actually, I'd rather just pay the doctor directly, myself, for most routine care and have government provided insurance for catastrophic care. Removing the middle man _will_ reduce the cost to the patient (my doctor will already accept cash at 50% the rate he charges to the insurance company).
Add pictures here
βœ–

But it is decidedly Not Free!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 4/26/2010 5:48 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

My daughter's hospital charged me 50% more for recent surgery than it charges her insurance company, who refused to pay based on PEC ... and no, there was no other hospital where the surgery could be performed.
Turned out not to be caused by PEC, and now it looks like I'm going to be forced to sue both the insurance company and the hospital to get reimbursed, if at all ... the lawyers have to dip their beaks, too doncha know.
My optician _used_ to charge less for cash payers, but they stopped that about ten years ago, and now just charge you top insurance prices.
IMO, and having lived in both era's, the problem is, and always has been, at least since post WWII in this country, _INSURANCE_.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Sorry…I meant to say I stole the service from the income tax of those slaves whose paycheques I sign.
Add pictures here
βœ–
If it is in the joint, it must be removed surgically. If it is in there too long the body's defense will encapsulate the foreign object and make you suffer for a long, long time. BTDT. I had a nice piece of oak splinter that accordioned itself into the joint of my right index finger. The superficial part of it had snapped under the skin so I dug it out but obviously didn't get it all. 4 Months later that joint wouldn't even bend without a nice shot of pain. Off to our awful medical system where I was handled that same afternoon, by an expert, for free.
Must be a terrible medical system if it took you 4 months of pain before you decided it was worth going in for. ???
Add pictures here
βœ–

Leon:
LOL. okay smartypants. I tend to try to 'walk things off'. I have nothing but excellent experiences with our healthcare system.. besides, I have connections. (SO and her troupe) :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–