OT Sink Hole in small Texas town east of Houston

Page 2 of 2

The French Legislature considered that they had no oil and no coal, and therefore concluded that they had no choice.
--
FF

Lee K wrote:

Will it last long enough to make any kind of real difference?

Where in what gulf is Cuba drilling?
And when did the United States stop drilling in the Gulf of Mexico? What do you think all those big structures on stilts off the coast are? Vacation homes?

No, I don't expect oil companies to be able to make oil. It's running out. Deal with it.

According to who? And what does mining rock have to do with "drilling"?

And what does King Abdulla do with his European and Russian and Chinese and Japanese money? He buys a shitload of _American_ stuff.

So you're saying that they're being developed but it's illegal to develop them?

Oh, I see, as long as somebody makes money it doesn't matter if any problems get solved. 50 million barrels of oil is 2 days supply for the US. You really think that that's going to solve any long-term problems?
The solution to the problem is not scraping for the last drops of oil, the solution is to just plain stop using the stuff. But it's too late for that because of the actions of a bunch of nuts who fought every possible alternative.
--John

Until we drill there, we won't know, will we? How long have we been getting oil out of the North Slope fields? What were their projected reserves vs what the yield has been, and continues to be? What, if any, environmental damage has been caused? Why should the experience with ANWR be worse?

Off the shores of Florida, specifically. How many wells do you see there? None, nada, zip. All the wells you cite are off Texas and Louisiana.

Deal with it by finding more. This country is not going to stop using oil overnight, or over decades. We need more domestic sources and we have to stop tying our own hands in the search. YOU deal with it.

It's oil that's the issue, you're anal retentive to focus only on 'drilling' as a means of obtaining it.

Really? What stuff are we making that they're buying a shitload of?

Where did I say that? I referred to the economics of the situation, not the legality.

So your solution is to stop using the stuff because we're scraping for the last drops, but then say it's too late to stop using the stuff that's about to run out. I guess, according to you, we then run on virtual oil, since we won't stop using the stuff when it's no longer there. Number yourself amongst those who fight every alternative. Reminds me of my daughter when she was about 3 years old and wanted three cookies. My wife offered her two, but she was so stubborn that, if she couldn't get three cookies, she didn't want the two being offered either.

They're not nuts. They just expect to be dead by the time the oil runs out, or at least wealthy enough that they can take advantage of the economic collapse.
OTOH, they do manage to get a fair number of nuts to support them, as does every other person who has or seeks money or power. Petroleum may run out but there will always be nuts enough for everyone.
--
FF

So, let us analyze this a bit:
ANWR is estimated to have between 5 and 15 BBBL of oil. The US uses 9MBBL of oil per day. So, if we drill ANWAR, we'll have covered 3 years of US consumption assuming 10BBBL recoverable.
Is it worth the time, expense and effort to develop ANWR for that?
(yes, I understand that they'll only be pumping maybe 100KBBL/day, so it lasts longer, but it makes little dent in the 9MBBL/day US consumption).

There is plenty of drilling off the Gulf coastline, or haven't you been there recently?

Very difficult to develop. There are estimates of up to 11BBBL of undiscovered oil in the federal offshore areas of CA, OR, WA. This is another three years worth at full bore, so here again, drilling the coast is only a stop-gap measure.

Being done as we speak. Viability only because of high bbl price.
Sure, all these areas will be economically viable for the oil companies to develop. They'll have little effect on either the price of oil, or the US consumption thereof.
Note also that the Oil companies, for the most part, don't pay the spot market price for their crude; particularly on wholly owned fields. The production costs are a fraction of the spot market price, and the rest is pure profit, particularly for the companies who manage the entire chain from exploration, production, and refining to retail sales.
scott
(Last estimate I saw for production costs on a mature field were in the USD10-20 BBL range).

Man-o-man. One of the loveliest towns in all of Ontario, Goderich, sits on many, many years of salt excavation. I'm not sure how much of the town is sitting on top of excavated salt, but...I think about it every time I spend some leisure time there. http://www.goderich.ca /
I think Lew has visited there. Isn't it nice?
"Robatoy" wrote:

Been there, they even build a few boats there.
Visitng those little shore side towns in Ontario is like taking a step back in time.
When I visited, wqas reminded of the late 40's, early 50's in the states.
Most enjoyable.
Lew

On the news last night they said "officials don't know what is behind the sink hole" There's NOTHING behind it. If there was something behind it, the hole would not keep sinking.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

<rimshot>
--John

I have it on good authority that there have been black helicopters hovering near by before all this started.
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

Could it be that Leon has secretly completed his one-of-each Festool collection and the suckage is so hard that ... hmmmm?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08

Or else it's just a bottomless pit that's mirroring the bottomless pit of tool money that Leon seems to have. If I ever meet the guy, I'm gonna make sure he buys the food and beer.
"Upscale" wrote

Leon's an exceptionally talented woodworker and obviously a financially prudent fellow, both of which, without doubt, have much to do with his tool buying acumen.

IME, not a problem ... you will most likely have had to fight him for the privilege of paying
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/27/08