OT: Serious bleep for a minute

Page 1 of 3
Is this rec.comedycentral? Anyway, this is worth a look or two: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/09/wildfires_in_southern_californ.html
    mahalo,     jo4hn
"jo4hn" wrote: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/09/wildfires_in_southern_californ.htmlGreat photos.When you consider the "Station" fire burned 145,000 acres, claimed twolives along with several seriousinjuries, it is amazing it wasn't worse.It has been determined to be arson which means homicide.Since federal land is involved, US attorney will be a player.Lew
On 9/4/2009 6:06 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

I've got a slightly different take on this.
Rather than focus on how eeevil the fire-starter is (if this actually was arson) and getting all worked up about opening up a can of retribution on his ass, how about rethinking the whole idea of whether tens of thousands of people should be living in such urban-forest interface areas?
Maybe it's not such a great ideas interspersing things that must be protected from fire--people, expensive houses, livestock--in areas that are always going to burn, one way or the other?
To me, it's the same situation with folks who live in perennial flood areas.[1] In a sane and just world, people just simply wouldn't be permitted to build there in the first place. Or if they were, they'd be on their own so far as compensating any losses went. (To be fair, if I were Ayatollah, I'd start a 5 or 10 year relocation period, during which the federal government would assist people to move from flood-prone areas, while continuing to pay for rescue efforts and property replacement. After that, there would be no such assistance, apart from rescuing poor souls who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and got swept away in a raging torrent.)
[1] Same applies to the complete idiots who let people build houses on ocean cliffs, like here in Daly City and Pacifica, where erosion and the eventual swallowing up by the sea are not matters of "if" but of "when".

I hear you, and enerally agree. However, if the firebug really knew what he was doing, he should get seriously "burned" and get effective punishment. At least 10 years in a not so nice prison.
Then the fire insurance in those areas shoul go up a bit.
--
Best regards
Han
David Nebenzahl wrote:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/09/wildfires_in_southern_californ.html
This all sounds good on paper. Follow it to its logical conclusion: OK, then we shouldn't let people build near where hurricanes are known to periodically cause destruction. Nor should people build near rivers that flood periodically. Ditto for areas prone to tornados. The entire western 1/2 of California should be off-limits because of the threat of earthquakes. Start marking out a map with all of these exclusionary zones. Pretty soon, you've got a full map of exclusionary zones and nowhere to live. The key is managing the risk in the areas where people do live and working to minimize potential impacts.

Rob Leatham
On 9/5/2009 2:11 PM Mark & Juanita spake thus:

Well, admittedly my plan still has a few bugs in it that need to be worked out. It's currently in front of the Revolutionary Council for rewriting.
But seriously, earthquakes, and maybe even tornadoes and cyclones are valid concerns. Certainly I'd say that if one lives in an earthquake-prone area as I do, then all buildings *should* be required to meet certain seismic specifications. If they do, there should be a way to cover them against damages (insurance of various kinds). If they don't, then the owner shouldn't be compensated in the event the damn building falls down.
Even this is impractical, given the huge number of unsafe occupied buildings in the Bay Area, but you gotta start somewhere.
And maybe folks should be persuaded to live elsewhere than Tornado Row or Hurricane Alley; economic disincentives, etc. ...

Yes, the government should encourage the abandonment of the nations farm land.
On 9/5/2009 3:06 PM CW spake thus:

Well, farms and small towns are one thing; large population centers are another.

CW wrote:

Alternatively, if people _have_ to live there, tornado-proof structures should be developed for the purpose.
Of course people are sometimes incredibly stupid about such things--I never will forget a bunch of engineers at Enormous Aerospace lining the windows watching a tornado coming right at the building. Personally I found a 20 foot thick reinforced concrete slab to hide under. Fortunately the tornado missed the building.

That would leave Canada. Sorry.
On 9/5/2009 3:11 PM Robatoy spake thus:

Ack. I *knew* there was a show-stopper!

Yea, yea, yea, I know David... if it isn't American it ain't worth a fuck, eh?
On 9/5/2009 3:46 PM Robatoy spake thus:

Hmmm, between yours and mine, not sure which way the irony got twisted up there. If you're saying that sarcastically, then I agree with you (in other words, let's not treat Canada as our new colony). I'm not one of the "USA ber alles" crowd here. Are we OK now?

Well, at least you're not forcing me to play the Celine Dijon [sic] card.
=0)
On 9/5/2009 3:57 PM Robatoy spake thus:

Ouch!
Or the Alex Trebek card, the Richard Dreyfuss card, the Martin Short card, the SCTV card, etc., etc.
(Anyone except Gordon Lightfoot. That one you can keep.)

David Nebenzahl wrote:

What does Richard Dreyfuss have to do with Canada?
I'll unleash the Jim Carrey card if you aren't careful.
--
Froz...

To hell with this... I'm raising to 'Shatner' level.....
On 9/5/2009 4:11 PM FrozenNorth spake thus:

What, indeed; I was confusing his role as a Jewish kid from Montreal in "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz" with his life.
Ten lashes with a wet noodle for me, and I'll go watch a hockey game, eh.

Jewish kid from Montreal? You mean Leonard Cohen? *S* (I saw him in concert a few months back...and he makes amateurs like Lightfoot look like a high-school act.)
"Robatoy" wrote

Yea, yea, yea, I know David... if it isn't American it ain't worth a fuck, eh? =================== We just don't want to deal with the snow, mooses and penguins. <G>