Look at this Device...is This Any Good?

I found this link on DFW. for sale and was hoping someone here might have an opinion weather it would work. It is a misting system for a household A C condenser. What do you think?

JW

Hard to tell anything from that web page, but as a rule these type systems are better in theory than in practice. Hard water deposits quickly reduce efficiency and damage your unit. They have not proven to be very reliable. They have been around for some time and if there were good, I would expect a lot of them in use and be included as original equipment, but no. So I suggest passing on it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Good for the service man that will replace your A/C unit years before it's really time.

It deposits all the lime and minerals on the condenser coil, solidifying them into a large block that won't let air pass through.

Reply to
HeatMan

way down the road when people are having troubles... you can say well i got your money and the warranty is over or you just get tired of not gaining anything for your investment... i got a device that will be attached to your a/c unit and can save you about 75 % on electricity... its a switch.. you turn the a/c off after 8 hrs. of use and dont turn it back on until the next day.. guaranteed to save you money or your money back...well you can even save more and do it yourself(go to any hardware store and buy an on/off switch and install it).

Reply to
jim

Go ahead...and buy one.

Then, start saving for a new system. I love them....particularly in hard water areas....they make us a good living actually.

Hint...over time, they will, not might, but will ruin your unit.

Reply to
CBHvac

They are a mist system , overpriced , and improper for HVAC , but ok for human cooling as coolers in hot outdoor areas

Reply to
mark Ransley

No it is BS

Reply to
mark Ransley

OK, I just bought a GE wall mount unit. It deliberately splashes condensate on the condensor coil to improve efficiency. Isn't it the same as this device? Why is it good for GE to do and not for the coolrac thingy to do? Or is it also bad for GE?

Reply to
jmagerl

The sling ring throws softened water on to the coil. The softened water came off the evap coil as condensate.

The 'coolrac thingy' uses standard tap water, which contains all kinds of dissolved minerals that will solidify on the condenser coil.

Reply to
HeatMan

Rheem used to make (maybe still do) an A/C that had a copper coil condenser. It had a water reservoir similar to a swamp cooler. It continuously sprayed water on the condenser coils. A little troth about 1/3 the way down would catch some of that water and drain it off to keep the minerals from building up. In dry climates it made a significant improvement in the units efficiency.

In a dry climate it might be worthwhile to put in an evaporative cooler to blow cool air on the condenser coil. Of course in those climates the cheapest is to cool the house with the cooler.

Reply to
Dick