DeWalt is this offer any good?

B&Q have this offer on.

£159 for a DeWalt twin pack.Combi Drill and driver set. Both are 12V. It says the saving is £40, it was £199.

if you do to the main page and click on the View our latest deals bit, its on page 15 of that,

are DeWalt like. Is this offer any good.

thanks for the help

Reply to
Millan

Similar offer:

dom

Don't bother. Screwfix are selling the 12v Makita drill/driver and Impact driver for £139. Then buy a £50 Ryobi SDS mains drill. You are then set. The Ryobi ONE+ range may be a better buy as the one battery fits all tools.

DeWalt are yellow B&Ds.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

DeWalt are a good quality manufacturer.

However, you have to consider the application. A 12v drill will not be powerful enough for all applications. If you want complete drilling coverage, you would need something like a mains hammer or SDS drill. These cordless ones will do up to about 5mm screws and the holes for them.

The more typical industry standard is 14.4v and not much heavier than 12v.

I would also look at the number of batteries - i.e. is it really 2 as implied? The point of having two tools would be if you are alternately drilling and screwing. Having a third battery pack helps if you are going to do this.

Otherwise, if you really only need to do one operation at a time, you would be better spending similar money on a single 14.4v tool with two batteries.

For those, I would look also at Makita because I think their cordless drill products are a bit better than DeWalt and Bosch.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mak have an outstanding reputation on cordless drills.

Or any other 2Kg SDS. My bosch has put up with 10 years and many occasions of being pushed to it's limits.

Much the same when you buy tools of the same voltage from any manufacturer. Single manufacturer chargers tend to be universal.

Can anyone say, that has direct experience from different manufacturers, how the ryobi batteries measure up against the others for longevity?

Er - no. Although B&D & DW is one company, DeWalt quality (IME of mitre saws) is the equal of the pro Bosch stuff.

Reply to
dom

Aaaaaarrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Google is your friend.....

Reply to
:Jerry:

Mak have an outstanding reputation on cordless drills.

Or any other 2Kg SDS. My bosch has put up with 10 years and many occasions of being pushed to it's limits.

Much the same when you buy tools of the same voltage from any manufacturer. Single manufacturer chargers tend to be universal.

Can anyone say, that has direct experience from different manufacturers, how the ryobi batteries measure up against the others for longevity?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So a 12v makita will be better than a 12 DW?

Also (a bit dense here) what is an impact driver for exactly.??

Reply to
Millan

I would say so - from my experience with trying both, the Makita speed control is a bit finer. You can drill and drive screws at a slower speed. This is useful when doing work where you want the screws all to be at the same depth and they are small.

However, I would not buy a Makita 12v, rather the 14.4v.

I do have a Festool C12 which is a 12v tool, but this is a very different animal - different motor technology and very fine control. Even so, I wouldn't suggest this vs. 14.4v model either.

Different thing again. This is for driving screws and coach screws etc. generally in constructional work. A deck is a good example. The intent is that screws can be driven without drilling first and very rapdily. It's not a precision tool by any stretch of the imagination. Useful, but you still need drills and other screwdrivers. I haven't bought one because I can cover my needs in other ways. However, an impact driver may be interesting if you have a lot of outdoor work or framing to do.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oooh - spot the rich kid!

Seriously - I'd be interested in your experience of it. The cordless drill is prob the tool I use the most, so would consider the extra =A3=A3 =A3.

I tried one of their circular saws and must say - different, but a very finely engineered beast.

Reply to
dom

What is it with Makita motors though? I have a 20 year old Makita 850 watt router that runs rings around 1100 watt shed machines, a new 950 watt circular saw that thinks its about 1200w by it performance. The 12v driver is incredibly powerful for its size.

Are they doing something different?

Now I have one it saves literally hours on building decks.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They drill holes as well.

Nope.

Best read up on Impact Drivers and do a Google on here about them too. A must have tool once used and mastered which is easy enough.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It's quite special, frankly still unique AFAIK

Previously the Makita 14.4v was my work horse and still is for quite a few applications. I also have a Makita 18v one for heavier work such as wall drilling up the point of using an SDS.

The C12's motor is a brushless phased type using a phase controller for speed. This means that good torque is available down to very low speeds indeed - similar technology to robotic control systems. There is a 1-2 gear change as in other drills but the clutch arrangement is electromechanical. At the point that the clutch on most drills starts slipping and clicking, the C12 detects this and stops the motor - within half a revolution.

Ergonomics are precise. You can balance the drill comfortable on your index finger at the top rear of the handle - i.e. where the fingers normally go to operate the trigger and hold the tool.

I quite like the Centrotec fittings. This is a Festool proprietary fitting similar to the 6mm hex but without the slop and play. Put in a drill or a screwdriver bit and it's locked precisely. If there is a need to alternate, there are several Centrotec holders in the kit and you can leave the bits in them, pulling off the holder to swap. You can still use the 6mm hex bits in a holder though.

The Centrotec holders and the other chucks use FastFix, which is Festool's fitting for quick release.

Apart from the ordinary chuck, there are two others. An angled chuck can be fitted to the front of the drill in place of the normal one and turned to any orientation. It also has a Fastfix fitting so will take any of the other chucks. There is an offset chuck which has the output fitting right at the very edge. This will take a Centrotec bit directly (or 6mm) and allows drilling and screwing in awkward places like cabinet inside corners.

To give you an indication of fineness of control, for a recent project I needed to fit a lot of hinges and drawer runners and other fittings to MDF drawers, many into the edges. The screws were small 3mm x 12mm ones. If you have ever tried this you will have discovered that's it's easy to strip out the hole. I was able to put all of the screws in consistently using the C12 on its lowest but one clutch setting.

Apart from these, there is a choice of battery technology and the charger of course allows the battery packs just to left without damage.

If I were in the market for a 14.4v drill and had something for the larger jobs, I'd certainly buy this product. It has been consistently well reviewed and has won several innovation awards, quite rightly.

The other thing that I would do if buying now as opposed to a year and a half ago when I did would be to buy it in the U.S. The current UK price is around £300 inc. VAT. The U.S. price is around $340. That would be interesting to do if making a visit to the U.S., probably not worth it with shipping.

There's a video on this page

Indeed. If I didn't have a saw bench with slider, and needed to cut large sheet material, I would look at their guide rail system with the TS55 saw.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Two things.

1) Being honest about power ratings. the shed routers will claim 2000W. This is 2000W of electrical input. However, conversion to mechanical output is poor. Makita, Bosch, (DW, Elu, CMT, Trend), Freud, Metabo, Festool all have much better motors This is why for heavy routing you don't really know what you are getting with a shed product.

2) Makita have always used good battery technology.

I think that's the classical application, isn't it.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Obviously

Of course you do, don't be so silly.

I have read up on and used. They are good for what they are intended for - constructional work. they are not intended for precise work and the makers don't sell them for it. No I don't accept that pulsing the trigger represents control beyond a certain point.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sounds like you do mostly joinery and cabinet work, Andy. I can see why impact drivers aren't that useful to you. They're quite capable of snapping screws in hardwood, and no substitute for a conventional drill/driver when you need one.

Reply to
dom

It was the TS55 I tried at a trade show, so only a superficial impression. Thanks for the tip on the US market, I may well investigate that sometime.

Reply to
dom

Hex shank drills and bits are available for Imapct Drivers. Only when it comes to the big stuff will it be of no good and that applies to the average drill/driver too.

They can be used to drive in any screw of any size without problems.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

After a fashion. But then a non impact tool drives screws too.

Another tool you've just slavered over in a shop but not actually used.

Ignore this fool. An impact drill/driver is very useful for the job it's designed for but nowhere near as good as a decent ordinary drill for drilling holes and normal screw driving.

For general DIY where you can afford just the one get a good quality cordless drill. No hammer action. No impact function. If you have the need for an impact unit too buy one *as well*.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Holes are not fashionable, they are fresh air. Please eff off as you are a troll.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel