OT: one of life's small successes

Once a month would probably be closer to the truth, I used to do part time maintenance work for a famous fried chicken place that "never" changed the oil, only filtered it and added as needed.

basilisk

- - You can wrap a 1 1/2" X 48" dowel in birthday wrapping paper and you won't have to walk softly to carry a big stick.

Reply to
basilisk

I don't know either, the oil never smelled old or bad. These fryers kept the oil hot perpetually, nothing bacterial could have grown in it. The oil was tallow based at the time and would clog the pumps and filters if it ever cooled off.

Referring back to what Swing said, they only cooked chicken, so no cross flavor contamination.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Maybe down there in Texicus, but not in the civil world, suh. We use 30%, or 26 degree baume ammonia. It is about $10 a gallon at the surveyor's supply shops around town.

Swanson's chicken broth can kill you. I think it has 1150mg of sodium! I buy Pacific brand low-sodium organic broths.

I haven't bought hamburger meat in 25 years or so. 90% of the e-coli outbreaks are from it, even AFTER they're drenched in aqua ammonia. Pass. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. If you want a good burger patty, grab some of the Grillers from Morningstar Farms. Ditto their chickenless patties.

don't buy reconstituted chicken meat any more, either.
Yum!

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

somebody get a rope

it might be a good patty, but it ain't a burger grind your own, *that's* a good burger

Reply to
ChairMan

Yabbut, but that's not "original" ... never cleaned horse stalls, eh?

Cattle and horses in England and Europe are traditionally stalled at night, and for the duration of a harsh winter.

The English/Europeans starting _fuming_ wood with ammonia AFTER they noticed the distinct effect it had when stall/barn wood was exposed to the ammonia in the animal urine.

IOW, "the original quarter sawn white oak finish" ...

Reply to
Swingman

All I can quote is what I read. Wait a week. We'll see another, entirely different, quoted figure from somewhere...

-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Point to Swingy. ;)