OT: Okra question. Swingman?

Wow! People actually *eat* okra? I always sort of thought it was a cruel joke that southerners played on the rest of the country, sort of like that Canadian stuff (poutaine?).

Excuse me while I go boil some rutabagas... Tim Douglass

"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."

Reply to
Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've only had it fried. Pretty good stuff, though. Ketchup goes quite well with it.

Fried Okra, fried potatoes, "throwed" rolls, and the best hamburger steak you're likely to find in any restaurant makes the half hour detour to Ozark, MO well worth it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Fried is pretty much OK in small quantities. Boiled is the stuff of which sick jokes are made. Let it sit too long in the bowl and it comes up with strings that look like snot. Fried Okra, fried potatoes, "throwed" rolls, and the best hamburger steak

So, you've been there too? Ozark, that is, one of the BIL's lives there. Haven't been to that restaurant yet, every time we think about going it's not a good time unless we want to wait forever.

Fried okra and BBQ brisket -- a Texas combo that's pretty decent. There's lots of other stuff with BBQ brisket that's better -- Corn on the cob, fresh baked rolls from the bread girl, and cobbler at Spring Creek BBQ come to mind -- you can keep the okra, I'll take the fresh hot rolls any day.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Do they fry it plain or do they bread it? Every time I've seen fried okra in a restaurant it was breaded. My mother used to just cut it up and stir fry it (back before anybody had heard of "stir frying") in oil. The breaded kind is a lesser beast IMO.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Lambert's? There is one somewhere around Mobile, insane quantaties of food, my whole family could have gotten by with what was on my plate.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news3.newsguy.com:

Breaded. Most fried foods seem to have some sort of breading on them.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

"basilisk" wrote in news:xfOin.304292$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-07.dc.easynews.com:

You got it. Ever seen their salads?

The one you're thinking of is in Foley, AL. The original one is in Sikeston, MO. (There's only 3 of them.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yeah, I remember now, knew it was in that area somewhere. It's a fun place and the food is good and I'm sure there are some folks that can eat the portions they serve, but I was a little put off by the waste. As Momma said, "There's people starving in Africa".

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:12:41 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

FIVE TO SIX MINUTES?!? Holy Shit, Batman! He flames 'em to embers. A large baked potato takes an hour in the oven, 9 minutes in the nuker. Hmm, are you running an old 400w microwave, Swingy?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not all that old, a couple of years maybe ... covered pyrex dish, splash of water, pat of butter, creole seasoning, and some extra black pepper, and nuked about five to six minutes does the trick around here ... tender and perfectly done. During the summer time this is a four or five night a week dish (I don't get bored eating any vegetable ... probably have eaten more spinach than popeye, have it _every_ night of the week ... nuke it 2:45, in case you're wondering). :)

Reply to
Swingman

Robbie looooves them there epinards.......

Reply to
Robatoy

"basilisk" wrote in news:4wRin.355639$FK3.129584@en- nntp-06.dc1.easynews.com:

They're usually more than happy to give you aluminum foil to take whatever you didn't eat home for later. We usually get two meals out of a trip to Lambert's.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

For true!

Reply to
Robatoy

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 22:00:27 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

I got some green (she called them blue) veggie-fed eggs from a client last month, and some fresh leeks, leaf parsley, potatoes, and carrots. I made a nice bit of leek soup. Yum! Anywho, her eggs didn't taste much different (or better than) the Fred Meyer eggs I usually buy.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 01 Mar 2010 14:47:42 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper scrawled the following:

I think the one time I tried okra in a restaurant it was breaded. I never went back. Okra is fine fried or boiled, but not breaded.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 17:59:01 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Hell, boy. I pop a whole bag of extrabutter popcorn in 2:05 in mine.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yabbut, my deck is bigger than yours ....

Reply to
Swingman

I give away about 6 times as many eggs as we can eat, I can be real picky about what I keep to eat. The best eggs are from first year layers that are completly free range, I only feed the chickens enough so that they will have a sense of where home is.

This may gross out a lot of people but won't surprise anyone that grew up on a farm, the chickens literally follow the horses and goats around cleaning up behind them, I haven't had to muck a stall out in ages. saves a lot of time and effort.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 06:33:31 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

OK, you win. I don't wanna go there. (Yes, I saw the skit.)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 06:42:07 -0600, the infamous "basilisk" scrawled the following:

How long do you store eggs? I'm amazed at the short time they're considered good any more. Historically, eggs could be stored (cool) for years.

Parents of teens could learn from this.

I thought they only ate the bugs and flies which came for the poo.

Reply to
Larry Jaques