OT: Okra question. Swingman?

A piece of nichrome wire and a cheap power supply does a great job too.
Puckdropper

On 3/4/2010 3:48 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

There's a guy here in Des Moines who managed to combine the two. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

CNC nichrome? Hey, we could make toast with special images in it!
Puckdropper

<puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Then sell them on eBay...
My minds eye is working on that - top carries the power and the the table holds the sheet by the edges only! - the ground is below and the bottom stretching weight is connected to a very flexible ground strap that runs to the Nichrome return. Tricky at best since the sheet has to be held and maintained up to the end of the cut.
Maybe human puts in slats to hold up sagging sections once cut.
Martin
Puckdropper wrote:

On 3/4/2010 9:59 PM, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Try a Google search on 'cnc nichrome' and then click on 'Images' at the top of the page. Folks are cutting everything from airfoils to Statue of Liberty mineatures.
I'm not sure I should have looked. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I did. . . . . DAMMIT!!!

Been done for donkey's years. I've got a hand held cutter in the garage.
On 04 Mar 2010 21:50:58 GMT, the infamous Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> scrawled the following:

What, cheap knockoffs: The Toast of Turin?
-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943
On Mar 4, 4:48am, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

So does a heat gun and a knife.

A rasp would do a good job of rough carving. Then a blowtorch could be daintially applied to carefully melt the foam in to a smooth surface. (You know, like they do with Ice Sculpting.)
Puckdropper

On Mar 4, 4:52pm, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

helluva mess

True, but it would do a good job of it. (The blowtorch was just thrown in for effect.) The melting foam might not be so good for your lungs, either.
Puckdropper

snipped-for-privacy@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...

It is an inert material that will pass through with no problem, no sickness. I have no idea what you mean by "true styrofoam" though. The word "Styrofoam" is the copyrighted brand name for extruded styrene plastic board. GP makes the same stuff in yellow, OC makes it in pink. It is the same material chemically that is used in coffee cups, the foam clamshells for take out food, and ice chests.
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 22:00:37 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

Ain't that swarf a dream to work with?
-- An author spends months writing a book, and maybe puts his heart's blood into it, and then it lies about unread till the reader has nothing else in the world to do. -- W. Somerset Maugham, The Razor's Edge, 1943

Wow! People actually *eat* okra? I always sort of thought it was a cruel joke that southerners played on the rest of the country, sort of like that Canadian stuff (poutaine?).
Excuse me while I go boil some rutabagas... Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
"I'm not exactly burned out, but I'm a little bit scorched and there's some smoke damage."

I've only had it fried. Pretty good stuff, though. Ketchup goes quite well with it.
Fried Okra, fried potatoes, "throwed" rolls, and the best hamburger steak you're likely to find in any restaurant makes the half hour detour to Ozark, MO well worth it.
Puckdropper

Fried is pretty much OK in small quantities. Boiled is the stuff of which sick jokes are made. Let it sit too long in the bowl and it comes up with strings that look like snot. <-- Yeah, it's that bad looking, there's no other way to describe it.

So, you've been there too? Ozark, that is, one of the BIL's lives there. Haven't been to that restaurant yet, every time we think about going it's not a good time unless we want to wait forever.
Fried okra and BBQ brisket -- a Texas combo that's pretty decent. There's lots of other stuff with BBQ brisket that's better -- Corn on the cob, fresh baked rolls from the bread girl, and cobbler at Spring Creek BBQ come to mind -- you can keep the okra, I'll take the fresh hot rolls any day.

Rob Leatham
On 3/1/2010 1:12 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Do they fry it plain or do they bread it? Every time I've seen fried okra in a restaurant it was breaded. My mother used to just cut it up and stir fry it (back before anybody had heard of "stir frying") in oil. The breaded kind is a lesser beast IMO.