Fifteen year old Okra seeds

While cleaning in my basement this weekend (a traumatic thing to do cuz I'm a packrat) I found a jar of okra seeds that I saved about 15 years ago. Maybe 16 or 17 years, but less than 20. I started to throw them out, but I was curious if they might still be viable. So I took about a dozen seeds and soaked them overnight (didn't look promising, half of them were still floating the next morning) and then wrapped them up in a damp paper towel. When I peeked at them this morning, most of them were already sprouted -- that's less than 48 hours.

They are telling me that I need to plant okra next year.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Cool beans... :-)

Speaking of which, you are aware that bean seeds found in archeological digs 1,000 years old still sprout on occasion.......

A little water is always cheap to see if seeds are viable.

Well done!

Reply to
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Not really Bob. We have three okra plants that are really producing and I've already frozen a years supply. Swing by on your next trip home and I'll load you up.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Just started some seeds in the ground for a fall crop, came up in three days.

Now, how to pickle them.

George Shirley wrote:

Reply to
Sammy Shuford

Go online for some good okra pickle recipes. Personally I wouldn't touch an okra pickle with someone else's fork. Never did like them any way but in a gumbo or fried.

George

Sammy Shuford wrote:

Reply to
George Shirley

I di love them fried, but time to fry them and work!

George Shirley wrote:

Reply to
Sammy Shuford