OT: Motorcycle AIRBAGS???? Believe it or not!

At 35Mph it would take roughly 2 seconds to travel 100 feet. Do you think you'd tumble for two seconds at 35Mph ? When i was younger i came off a bike at 60Mph and the police estimated i traveled nearly 50feet before i touched the ground. My back still aches.
hoot.
On 9/18/2005 2:08 AM hoot mumbled something about the following:

I didn't travel anywhere near 100 ft. I might have traveled 100 ft total if you include the upward ejection, the arc, and the downward fall.
OTOH, when I hit a deer 6 years ago doing 60 MPH, I traveled a total 216 ft, some of it sliding, some of it tumbling, very little of it in the air. If an airbag had held me to the bike, I wouldn't be here today, as the bike tumbled end over end a couple of times as well as rolling over a few times. Being ejected AWAY from the bike was MUCH safer than being held onto the bike.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Mate... i agree totally, no way in the world would i want to be held to the bike. I was just making the point that you don't have to be going very fast to be flung a hundred feet. Your 216ft at 60Mph illustrates that nicely. For my money 60Mph isn't "very fast". Here in Australia there has been talk over the years from various "safety bodies" about seat belt alternatives for bikes, the thought of being tethered makes my blood go cold. hoot.
On 9/18/2005 2:31 AM hoot mumbled something about the following:

For some reason, I was thinking of 100 ft in the air, not total distance traveled after hitting an object. Even so, 216 ft is probably not the norm in a 60 mph crash with a bike into something that an airbag MIGHT be of use.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

The assumption is that an air bag would keep you on the bike, i can't even picture how that would work. But i can see a use for bags that guard against puncture and tear injuries as you leave the bike. My brother has a nice scar on his thigh from coming off a dirt bike when we were kids. And nasty leg injuries are pretty common in sudden stop bike crashes.
hoot.
On 9/18/2005 10:33 AM hoot mumbled something about the following:

My headon with the car resulted in 2 small breaks in my foot (when I landed on my feet). The deer incident resulted in 3 cracked ribs and cracked shoulderblade (as well as some roadrash on the arms).
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

I would suggest you've been fairly lucky. I'll see your anecdotal evidence and raise you one more, i know a guy that lost a leg from injuries sustained when he t-boned a trailer full of firewood at about 50Mph. Would airbags have helped..? maybe not, but it's a moot point if you're missing a leg.
hoot.
On 9/18/2005 11:26 AM hoot mumbled something about the following:

If a person is worried that much about their safety, they wouldn't be on a motorcycle in the first place, they would be in a car. We all know we are taking extra risks by riding a motorcycle vs driving a car.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

You're loosin' me here Odinn..., how much is "that much"? I have a wife and daughter that i can't wait to get home to every time i leave the house, my safety is paramount regardless of the conveyance i choose on a given day. Of course there are extra risks if opt for the bike, but i'm not prepared to close my mind to risk minimization just because "i know what i'm getting myself into".
hoot.
On 9/18/2005 11:54 AM hoot mumbled something about the following:

If a person is worried that much about their safety to require an airbag, the shouldn't be on a motorcycle, they should be in a car. Is that detailed enough? I'm not saying that one shouldn't minimize risks, but an airbag is just a bit too much on a motorcycle.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

You haven't seen the results of safety tests with an air bag and a motorcycle and you haven't yet seen any statistics on it either. How can you completely dismiss the idea without any knowledge of how it is going to work?
The only knowledge you have is the usage of bikes without an air bag. Will you still completely dismiss it if you see verifiable statistics and definite examples of an air bag being effective in reducing injury and deaths?
On 9/18/2005 7:31 PM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

So, you're saying we should try the seatbelts options on motorcycles as well?
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Heh.. There's no trouble understanding the detail, i was just finding it harder and harder to agree with you. Anyway... I'm still not ready to close my mind to the possibilities, seems like you have. Peace~
hoot.
On 9/19/2005 6:29 AM hoot mumbled something about the following:

I haven't closed my mind to the possibilities, I'm just VERY VERY skeptical.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

Even though I've ridden a motorcycle only a few times in my life, I'd still have to agree with you. Assuming that an airbag is deploying properly when it should, it means that something has happened and some type of crash is imminent, with recovery unlikely. I wouldn't want to be near a bike at that time if I could help it.
On 9/18/2005 7:46 PM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

I've ridden motorcycles almost all my life. I grew up with them (my dad had several as I was growing up) and have been riding them on my own since I was 15. If an airbag deploys on a motorcycle, it shouldn't be happening when a crash is imminent, it should be happening during a crash. Unfortunately, I'm afraid of the possibilities of it deploying when there is no crash, causing a crash in itself.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

In that case, you're afraid to drive cars that have air bags. Who knows when an airbag in a car might deploy at the wrong time causing you to temporarily lose control and crash?
On the one hand, you don't appear to have any fear of driving one of the most dangerous transportation devices around, yet without knowing exactly how it works, you appear to fear a device that is designed to lesson the chances of injury or death. You've certainly got some screwed up ideas about fear.
On 9/19/2005 1:25 AM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

Having my hands knocked from a steering wheel in a car is easier to recover from and prevent a crash than having my hands knocked from the handlebars of a bike.

I do have fear of driving a motorcycle, because I DO KNOW how it works, but I know my risks and am willing to accept those risks. You have some screwed up ideas about what you think I know and fear or do not fear.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7

And just how exactly do you know that an airbag for a bike is going to knock your hands from the handlebars? For all you know, it might be designed to inflate above the handle bars slowing someone who is in the initial stages of becoming airborne. If the front wheel of a bike hits something, the rear wheel tends to rise resulting in the driver being thrown over the handle bars. Your words.
You're projecting all sorts of visions on what you "think" might happen without a shred of knowledge on how it's designed to work. Very close minded of you sir. Obviously, my reasoning isn't going to sway you one bit. So, if you've got a response, go ahead and make it. I won't be replying any further.
Have a good day.
On 9/19/2005 8:24 AM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

I don't know that an airbag is going to knock my hands off. I said it is a possibility if it goes off askew. Doing so in a non-accident would cause an accident in itself.

No, I'm looking at possibilities of what can go wrong. If we never looked at what could go wrong when something is designed, then we aren't doing our job for safety. Personally, I could care less if you don't reply, you've already closed your mind to the possibility of there being bad designs.

I do, every day, I ride my motorcycle.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7