OT: Me In a Music Video (get a good laugh!)

Page 2 of 5

(Raises hand.) Yep, yep. A very natural thing indeed. That's where I started. Piano, guitar, native flute, recorder and a dabble of drums. Nothing pro for me, although I know a few. I'm a heavy listener these days, sporting over 2k in CDs. My woodworking tools are starting to catch up! LOL! I wish I had started woodworking all those years ago too. Ah well, it is what it is and I'm enjoying it. :)
"Casper" wrote in message

My wife got me a bass kit from Grizzly awhile back that will test my primitive finishing skills, for once I'm researching first and starting second. Rebuilding a Fender bass I found at a flea market was also fun in large part because woodworking gave me the confidence to tear the instrument down to the bone and rebuild it despite never having done that kind of thing before. As for CDs I've designing a new set of shelves that will go right to the ceiling and waste less space between shelves, it's the only way to get the stacks of CDs that are all over the house off various pieces of furniture and onto the wall where we can find them when we want them. The idea of putting all our music onto hard drives is starting to look more attractive. between books and CDs we're about out of wall space.

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:27:01 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I believe it's next to the "floor space", wherever that disappeared to eons ago.
-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

I've done some minor repair work but no building or rebuilding. I've toyed with the idea, especially since I've thought about trying the bass guitar. Guess I'll have to poke around the local flea market.

Most of mine are in a giant metal rack I picked up a few years ago. Run-over is in milk crates, waiting to be cataloged. I use a program to try and avoid re-buying the same CD, which has happened.

I'm already in the process of doing that and glad of it. Much easier to listen to all around the house. Protects the CD too, from being handled too much. I already decided this year is the last year I'm going to "increase" my library. Going forward I'm going to limit myself to one hard drive and anything new going in requires something going out. With over 2k in albums, there are too many I don't listen too, at least often enough.
;) `Casper
On 11/17/2011 12:27 PM, Casper wrote:

It has occurred to me that CDs might be somewhat "obsolete" in less than 10 years. Personally, I very infrequently go back to a CD once I've ripped it to my computer, and suspect that most of the publishers would prefer to just sell a file for the same money. I was searching for an artifact at the local Goodwill a few days ago and noticed several display cases for CDs. I'm not sure I wouldn't mind reclaiming the space that my CDs are "wasting" either. Might as well store them in the attic or something...
Bill

I'm not about to pay more for "bits" than the CD, or the same, for that matter. I can always go back to the CD. I'm not stuck with the DRM crap, either.
"Casper" wrote in message

This instrument was covered with stickers from bands I'd never heard of, one of the strap buttons had been ripped out, the pickup was adjusted into some weird shape and it was filthy. But I figured for a hundreds bucks it was a reasonable bet, it's tough to kill a Fender. I ended up putting in a new wiring harness, new pickup, new pots and jack and so on in addition to scraping off the stickers and general grunge. I also did my own setup and to my surprise it came out just fine. So all told I have about two hundred bucks into the instrument, new retail price a little under six hundred, and it was educational as well.

I've had the same problem, either that I don't know whether I have the old version or the expanded edition with bonus tracks. I use CD database software called Audiolist Plus on my Palm Pilot, that's stopped me buying duplicates.

I can't bring myself to get rid of albums except a few that I just couldn't see myself listening to ever again. Once we put everything on hard drives, drive space is so cheap (despite the recent jump caused by the flooding in Thailand) that capacity isn't an issue. However, as you say, there is the issue of keeping music that you never listen to.... A friend of mine uses a slick system from a company called Sonos. He has speakers in every room, and a remote control that looks like an iPod, he can call up whatever music he wants from a music server and listen to it in whatever room he happens to be in. I can see going with something like that, the old ritual of loading shiny discs into a player is going away sooner or later.
On 11/17/2011 10:27 AM, Casper wrote:

That's not much of a limit. You can pick up a 2 terabyte drive for under $120.00.
That one drive will easily hold 400,000 songs. If you listened an hour a day every day, it would take you over 50 years to hear each song just one time.
On 11/17/11 1:17 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

How many if you store the wav/aiff files? That's why I like CD's... I call them uncompressed backups. I still have yet to buy a song from iTunes, because they are too stinking compressed.
When I put songs on my computer or mp3 players, I don't compress them anywhere near what they do on iTunes. Most mp3's are compressed from a 45mb file down to 3-6mb. My mp3's are generally up around 11-15mb.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/17/2011 3:53 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

My numbers were based on an average 5MB file size. It's a rare person who can truly discern a material difference between a 12MB mp3 and the same one compressed to 5MB. Nevertheless, if your mp3s average 12MB, you'd still get nearly 170,000 of them on a single 2TB drive.
If that's not enough, you can get a 3TB drive for around $170. That will let you store 250,000 12MB mp3 files, or 200 thousand 15MB files, all on a single drive. That's still enough to listen to about 20 songs a day, every day for 25 years without ever repeating a single song. If you listened to each one once, and had say 5 thousand favorites that you'd listen to at least once or twice a year, as a practical matter you'd die of old age before you got bored with your music library.
On 11/17/2011 05:12 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

it up for RAID-1 with two drives so if a drive crashes, no loss.
I have a Cisco/Linksys media/NAS box with two mirrored 2TB drives. The whole mess was around $300.
--
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else." -John Burroughs

If you don't mind messing around with software, you can use an oldish computer to do that. The only real trick would be getting RAID to work, but I'm sure there's a Linux-package-distro that makes it easy. (There seems to be one of those for just about everything.)
If running Windows on your primary machine, be sure to get the Pro or better versions. They support backing up to a Network out of the box. (My system makes backups every week with no intervention. That's how it should be.)
Obligatory Woodworking Content: I'd love to find an inexpensive player that would play my MP3s in the shop with expandable storage or Wireless LAN connection and good antenna.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 11/17/2011 08:44 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

For automatic network backup from a linux server for linux and windows machines, I use backuppc:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net /
--
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else." -John Burroughs
On 11/17/11 6:12 PM, Just Wondering wrote:

I beg to differ. Not trying to argue...... I'm sure the average listener isn't going notice a 5mb mp3 just from casually listening, like me. But if you were to play 10 seconds from each for comparison, I bet 4 of 5 would hear the difference.
My listening experience is certainly far from average. I make part of my living by having to learn songs and figure out the drummer's part. It's frustrating to get but bunch of 3.5mb songs because the high end is always the first and most compressed part. Sometimes I can't tell if the drummer was playing his hi-hats, ride cymbal, or crash cymbal.

I was honestly asking. Once it gets above megabytes, my brain cramps up. :-) What I would do with a 2TB drive is back up my CD's as disc images or at least copy the songs over as aif/wav's in their entity. If iTunes offered the full song file as a download, I might do it. It certainly wouldn't take all that long on broadband. I've gotten plenty of audio files like that for session work.
--

-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

I don't mind relatively compressed MP3s for listening in the car or in the garage, hi-fi isn't necessary there what with road noise and power tools and so on. On the home stereo is another matter, I even have a decent speaker setup on my computer since I probably listen to more music there than anywhere else. If I was going to put all my music on hard drives as a replacement for CDs I'd insist on a lossless format even though that would require more drives to hold everything (and I'd want a couple of backups if I was getting rid of the CDs).

This is a worthwhile read: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/itunes.htm
On 11/17/11 7:34 PM, Robatoy wrote:

"I listened for differences between the original CD and the iTunes rendition. Hearing no difference is perfection, and I got that at 128kbs variable bit rate."
He's either is out of his mind or like many former audio professionals, has lost his high end hearing.
--

-MIKE-

On 11/17/2011 7:53 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I disagree ... and totally agree with the following quote:
"Beware that many of the defects many people blame on data compression are in the CDs they bought in the first place. "
Open up a modern CD, with content mixed for radio, which is the usual mix format compression, and look at the overall waveform ... most often it will resemble a 2 x 4. (Try a Ricky Martin CD if you want to see what overuse of compression really looks like ... and sounds like as a result ... IOW, more cowbell, please!) :)
I'm indeed a "former audio professional who has lost his high end hearing" (the very reason I quit selling my services as an audio engineer about ten years ago), but with the Nyquist filter required in a 44.1hz sampling rate for CD digital recording, the Nyquist maximum frequency is 22050 Hz (with basically no power at frequencies above that).
This is unarguably far less than what you will hear on an analog recording, that may have third harmomic content well above 50Kz ...whether you can hear it or not, that content that is above your ability to hear will still "color" the sound of that which you can hear.
IOW, it ain't there on the 44.1 Khz CD ... and anything else is imagination. :)
That said the physiology of human hearing is an amazing thing. As indicated above, a trained ear will actually add in the missing frequencies that his ear can't actually hear due to a recognition of third order harmonics which color the sound; and, conversely, the absence of same in a CD recording, will also be very apparent to that trained ear ... which is the main reason why some of these older than Methuselah audio engineers, like Bruce Swedien, can work well past their hearing prime, and what any hearing tests performed on them would indicate.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 11/17/11 8:36 PM, Swingman wrote:

I will take a step back on my statement. Most songs are now mastered 3 times. Once for CD, once for radio and again for mp3s. The mp3's that are mastered by the producers are pretty exceptional. I can still hear a difference with the 128 mp3's. The 320 ones are pretty darn close.
Most of what I'm getting from artists for learning their set lists, are done by them or their management on their own laptop iTunes at a horrible rate, like 128. And they all sound terrible.
Karl, you're right about the "brick wall" compression. Sounds awful.
--

-MIKE-