OT: Leno's in a pickle, say wot?

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 15:06:19 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

AIUI, it's not so much as a no-compete clause as his contract expires in 3-1/2 years. However, they have to pay his contract.

Agreed I think they gave Fuh Up.
Here is my take. I really liked Leno after his first year on the Tonight show. The first year he seemed to not be in control. The second year really appeared to me that he took charge.
Conan replaces Letteman and that show was OK every once in a great while.
Leno decides to call it quits several years ago and stays till early 09.
Concan fills the void.... and what seems to work exactly like it did when Leno took over the Tonight Show, the show was not too good.
The New before the news Leno show is very good IMHO. BUT
BUT this type entertainment seems best after the late night news and laying in bed. Basically no competition... Leterman never was any competition IMHO.
It appears that many others seem to believe the way I do about when this type entertainment show shoud air and now NBC is going to bump Conan and the Tonight Show back 30 minutes to make room for the new 30 minute Leno show.
Conan refuses to take part.
Fallon sucked at first but I think he is improving.....when I can keep my eyes open that long.....
So while I preferred Leno, his spot is taken now, give the others the same chance.... I would rather see Leno on the Tonight Show right now but Conan apparently was no slouch on his show before taking over after Leno.
Leno had his chance and quit.....
Perhaps if NBC whould get rid of those cheesy farkin cheap ass reality shows they would do better.
"Leon" wrote

world and they were gonna produce programming on the cheap and make lots of money. That is the reasoning behind moving leno to the 10:00 o'clock time slot.
Their affiliates revolted. Viewership is down across the board for all of NBC. The just had a big new conference in the last few day where they said the are going back to basics. The are going to start spending money on programming and get rid of Leno at ten.
And yes, I have fond memories of Johnny Carson as well. But he is dead. And the network makes money off of Leno. It may be stabbing Conan in the back, but he never pulled in the numbers anyway. And it is about money, right?
NBC made some big mistakes. They are now addressing those things. Putting an old favorite back into the tonight show is probably their best bet. But they are going to lose more market share before this is over. You can't scrw up this big and immediately solve all of their problems.
All the networks go up and down with their ratings and numbers over the years. It depends largely on who is in charge. And theygot a lot more competition now too.
On 2010-01-12 20:51:06 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

FWIW dept.:
http://tinyurl.com/yalx9tx (Conan addresses the universe)
http://bit.ly/7UcuiL (Letterman at his understated best)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/graphic/2010-01/51534084.gif
("Late-night landscape")
Leon wrote:

Carson used to be a definite stay-up for. Leno the first several years also. However, as Leno went on, he got more and more material that seemed to be more propagandizing for an agenda than really being purely comedy material. Not that political jokes are bad, but when a definite bias starts to creep in, it starts not being so funny. His "Jay Walking" and other bits were really good. But as time went on, making time for the Tonight Show just wasn't a priority and got to where we stopped watching completely a number of years ago. Every once in a while would tune in again, but just couldn't work up the enthusiasm to watch through, let alone past the monologue.
The few times I watched Conan on his original time slot, I found the jokes more forced than funny (just my opinion) so it doesn't surprise me he is not doing well with a Tonight Show audience.

Rob Leatham
.

That is particularly true when the bias swings away from one's personal ideology. My blood curdles when I'm exposed to gross sexual or Jesus jokes; they're off limits. That kind of humour will have them rolling in the vomit and peanut shells of many piss-tanks across our nations. just not for me. But.... are those jokes funny? Well, yes. To those losers they're funny. If Leno cracks a pro left-wing joke, and the majority of the nation responds with laughter, like they did at election-time, then Leno is successful in pleasing his audience. That is good for business, and what's good for business is okay. (Right-wing model) Take that barf-bag Stephen Colbert for instance, Or Glenn Beck, who claims he does it all for 'shock'.... because nobody can be that big of an idiot without having an audience to play to. (Right-wing business model)... and I won't discuss O'Reilly..or Coultergheist. They're all comedians with biases, right? Personally, funny is funny... and I don't care who the target is. I told many Hillary jokes. Many Bill Clinton jokes. Bob Dole... now there's a source. Do *I* care what political side they're on? Nope. But... when somebody hands you a treasure trove like GWB...how can you help it? Is Rahm Emmanual funnier than Karl Rove? Nope.. both very dangerous people. Is there anybody creepier than Timothy F. Geithner or James Carville?

I like Leno's garage. Period. Headlines are funny when I stumble into them, I certainly don't hang around the TV to get to them. Conan has his moments. Fallon is funny, sometimes, but he has The Roots! Ferguson cracks me up...for a little while. Funny to me is Steven Wright but he couldn't do a show every night. EVERY night... man, that must be hard.

Carson's day, silly was funny, now silly is contrived.
Robatoy wrote:

They can recover by the simple expedient of simply simulcasting Bill O'Reilly with Fox.
On 1/12/2010 7:15 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Yeah, you *would* say that, "Bub".

- a Usenet "apology"

Put my name in the "who cares?" column.
Leno used to be funny when he did standup as a guest on Carson. When he took over, the show went down hill and I've not watched since. I used to watch Allen, then Carson. These days, I get up earlier and go to bed before the news. (Oh, I remember watching Jack Paar sometimes too)
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's not all his fault. The world in general and his guests in particular are more dreary than in times past.

I watched a little of Leno, and he spent 10 minutes showing youtube videos.
OLD youtube videos.