OT: Just a thought.

Page 2 of 8

Major suckitude, dude.
Ringo is a great author. I love his "Kildar" series, but "The Last Centurion" should be required reading at about grade 7 or 8.
Just as a reality check.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

But, but, but... the book has (a few) naughty words! And it has that situation where his 120 men (and 60 Nepalese) took "temporary" Muslim wives!
Plus his president is so thinly disguised (i.e., Hillary Clinton), that the kids would reject his dissing of her!
Think of the children.
On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 01:49:40 -0600, Dave Balderstone

I haven't read that one, but my favorite was _Ghost_. I love his "Posleen War" series, complete with BunBun.
-- Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace. -- Robert J. Sawyer

BunBun rocks...
Larry Jaques wrote:

Fred of Sanford and Son also had some sort of appeal (to me). I went to see him in Las Vegas, but he wasn't the same innocent guy I had seen on tv. Still, no regrets about seeing his act.
Bill

I just realized that I watched HSB, too. Veronica Hamel was a hottie. I was thinking that was the Simpsons-like cartoon with rednecks, um, King of the Hill. (had to look it up) I've never watched that one.

Har! Redd Fox was -=never=- an innocent, ever. <snort> I think the F word was invented for him. He was a -very- funny guy, but only if you're OK with cursing.
-- Fear not those who argue but those who dodge. -- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, he was funny. I'm sure that's the F word you were thinking of! ;)

Bill wrote:

By the way, Redd spelt it F-o-x-x-. (period!) : )

Larry Jaques wrote:

Since our air-conditioner isn't keeping up with the heat Mother Nature is dispensing, it occurred to me to take a trip to Frys Electronics to see about upgrading our 16 year old Magnavox tv.
Adding to what I learned while I was having some auto work done the other day: Evidently LED is now a winner over LCD and units connected to the Internet are on the way to becoming the norm (I was told Samsung was pushing by not introducing any other sort). Of course, from what I saw (keeps me on-topic) those sets are not ready for prime time, having merely a cell-phone type interface. I still don't have or want a cell phone.
Of course, then there is audio. I saw some sound bars (they are bigger than I remember them). That may be the ticket. Course figuring out a good alternative to Comcast's "triple play" would be attractive too. Frys had a pile of MagicJack's (USB phone device) for $40 (+$19.95/yr). That may be a good start if it works!
I reminded myself that I don't even like tv that much and came home unscathed--but cooler, and with a slab of ribs. : )
Anyone who can't tell the difference between a "need" and a "want" is at a big disadvantage these days.
At the end of the day I better appreciate the longevity of i'rn, the peace that I find in good books, and visiting with you folks here.
Bill

That makes sense? Bad a/c = shopping for a new TV!

All LED sets are actually LCD sets with either backlit LED format, which takes a lot of power (as does Plasma), or edgelit LED which allows for the 1/2" thick screens. Edgelits are probably the best value right now at only a slight price margin, with backlits almost double the price. I researched TVs recently and helped install one for my neighbor. My old tube set is still working fine, and with Netflix doubling their damned prices (33.3-50%) next month, I'm glad I didn't take that $600 plunge myself.

I have no idea what you saw, but it sure sounds weird.

I have (but -exceedingly- seldom use) a cell phone. I use it when clients give me bogus directions to their house.

Sound bars? Forget it! The stereo separation sucks with them.
Use a surround sound system, Bill. Even the cheapies add a real dimension to action/adventure movies. I bought that 5.1 Technics receiver 13 years ago and it still sounds good. 2 fronts, 2 rears, and the center channel speaker. The Bose 501s (fronts) kick out a pretty hefty bass so I didn't necessarily need the subwoofer. The little ESS bookshelf rears bring out the spacial effects, and the old 12" woofer from my parents' 50s stereo set into a Pioneer HPM-40 speaker enclosure fills in the center channel just fine.

More bogosity.

Bueno.
Amen to that.

I'll second that! (now that twit filters handle the other 75%)
P.S: Please don't misspell 'old arn' again, sir.
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud
Larry Jaques wrote:

The AC has been running non-stop, and the thermostat has read 87 for the last 3 hours, so I asked my wife to call "The Man" tomorrow morning. Hopefully the thermostat is broken! ; )

There seem to be 2 main "Internet TVs" leading the way: Samsung Smart TV and Sony's "Google TV". They even have Wi-Fi, which opens up a pathway to your router. The "keyboard" on Samsung's remote works like a cell-phones: Needing to push the 1 button three times to enter a "C". A small "qwerty" remote is available on high-end models or as an option.
The smart money probably sits this one out--at least until the day after Thanksgiving...or even another year or more.

Product reviews seem to be consistent with your comments about 5.1. Can't have too many remote controls around, huh?

We don't have a working camera anymore (except on my wife's cell phone). I've been looking at "point and shoot" ones. They had so many models at Frys Electronics is was silly--old models and new models. I'll pick one, eventually, based largely upon reviews. I need to build something to shoot first!

Sorry, about that. I need a spell-checker. I wonder if modern kids own dictionaries?
Bill

G'luck with that. ;)

Indeed!
I thought 7.1 was the new standard this millennium. <shrug>

Anything over $100 is likely to give you anything you want and do it well. Avoid the cheapies. They're truly horrible. I like Nikons. Older review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408budgetgroup/ Last year's model is just as good but half the price.

NOT a biggie in the overall well-being of the universe, eh?

The Wreck is your spell-checker. DAGS. Smart modern kids know this and utilize it; dumb modern kids don't care.
-- Life is an escalator: You can move forward or backward; you can not remain still. -- Patricia Russell-McCloud
Larry Jaques wrote:

At least for computers, manufacturers seem to be going back to 2.1, since few people are willing to wire 5.1 (or 7.1) properly. At least that's how MaximumPC explains it, and it is consistent with market offerings. I picked up Logitech Z5500 (5.1) speakers on sale from Dell for about $200 about 5 or 6 years ago. They appear to be twice that now.

Larry Jaques wrote:

If you are buying a camera at Amazon.com, you might wish to consider the COLOR you choose. I thought this was sort of funny
Camera: Panasonic DMC-FP3
Prices (as of 2 days ago): Dark Blue - $199 Red- $154 Silver - $109 Black - $94.99
Hopefully, the one I selected will do more than take B&W pictures... (anyone remember those?). My last camera only yielded tintypes... ; )
Bill
On 7/17/2011 11:45 PM, Bill wrote:

Much better to have turned it off when that happens. If you know where the compressor is and can verify that it is running, turn the unit off immediately. By leaving it running you can almost guarantee yourself a bigger repair bill. Cause of symptom generally either a bad capacitor, low on freon, evaporator coils frozen, compressor bad.
You will also want to check that your overflow pan is not stopped up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Swingman wrote:

Your first guess was right--bad capacitor. He installed a generic one of the right size, and is coming back tomorrow with a "Carrier" branded one. $264 including tax. I noticed online that those parts seem to go for about $40, so next time I may have a go at it myself ("pull the power, remove cover, simple swap". He said they normally last 5-7 years and our unit is 10 years old. And yes, I DO have some idea what capacitors are capable of! : ) Although I've never handled such a large one (50.5 + 7.5). Probably still very tiny by Lew's standards.

Hmm.. I think ours goes through a pvc pipe directly down into the sewer/drainage.
Thanks! Bill
On 07/18/2011 11:45 AM, Bill wrote:

Wow. I had a start capacitor go bad on a Trane compressor unit about 10 years ago and the entire bill (service call, part, and labor) from one of the local Austin service companies (Casa Mechanical) was about $60. I was quite pleased to pay that bill; I was worried it would be much more.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 7/18/2011 11:45 AM, Bill wrote:

That's one ... there usually is another safety pan under the evaporator coils that, in the last 20 years +, most often drains outside.
<when building a new house I'm always asked at some point where I want the overflow pan to drain ... my response is usually "over the front door, where they won't be able to miss it!" ... it is the leading cause of ceiling drywall repairs in hot, humid climates> ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Bad a/c ==> go somewhere with better a/c.
makes sense to me! <grin>
'looking at new TVs' was just the 'excuse'.