OT: July 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th...

Let me start off with stating that I like a good bang just as much as the next guy. Nothing captures my attention like a rapid succession of flash-bangs during a fireworks show - just love it! However in my little burg, the adolescents and adolescents at heart must have too much disposable income. The cacophony of staccato reports and the smell of explosives drifting through the neighborhood in the late evenings began a couple days prior to July 4th. On the 4th, the local amateur pyrotechs began about 9:30 PM and continued to near 1:00 AM. There was so much smoke in the air it looked as though a late-winter fog had rolled in.

I certainly don't mind celebrating the Fourth with a bit of fireworks - bottle rockets, Whistling Petes, Screaming Mimi's, sparklers, pinwheels, Roman candles and the like are good fun. The occasional M-80 has its charm. Last evening however it sounded as though we lived in a war zone

- ah, to be in Fallujah in the Springtime - and went on for three and a half hours. Some of us had to get up early this morning for a regular work day. And it's still not over yet - this will continue sporadically for the next week.

Maybe I'm just getting old - after all, in the past year it seems, the music of my high school days was relegated to the Oldies station.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Yup - your getting old :) I feel your pain though...It sucks when the music you grow up with is now on the oldies station!

Reply to
Rob V

Reply to
Rob V

Every generation's music of rebellion is the next generation's musak.

Reply to
Joe Wells

When you live where I do (site of monster SoCal fires last year), even starting a barbeque in the open will summon the fire department to drown your fire and you (and yours if you have managed to reproduce yourself).

That said, I loved fireworks as a kid in South Dakota. These days, I watch it on TV. I loved the Boston Pops show on A&E (IIRC). Two hours of good music and the 1812. CBS has screwed it up pretty well with some woo-hoo-ing female announcer, replacing most of the Pops with some cowboy hatted 50's rock band, and scrunching the show down to an hour (including commercials). Oh well, at least the fireworks was done without commercials this year. sigh, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

What really threw me was when I heard a Led Zeppelin song on MUZAK in an elevator. At least it wasn't something totally obnoxous, like the BeeGees or Captain & Tenile, eh?

- Better Living Through Denial ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We've had all of the above for a week now... and here in Central Calif., only the "safe & sane" (boring) stuff is legal... add to that the crazies that fire guns up in the air...

The guy across the street woke up to the sound of fire trucks late monday night... a friggin' bottle rocket landed on his covered patio and burned his shed down...

The paper this morning said that this area had more particulate matter in the air since July 3rd than it has had for years.. *cough* *choke*

I think I'm ready for my flashback now... kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out???

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

what about Cadillac using Led Zeppelin to sell cars...?

Unbelievable...

John Emmons

Reply to
John Emmons

The Graying of the Baby Boomers incarnate, wot?

'Been a long time since I bought a Caddie. (never)

- Better Living Through Denial ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Same here in Orygun. I'd wager that 90% of what we heard and smelled were obtained in Washington and ferried across the Columbia. The highway patrol supposedly does mini-dragnets to catch the fireworks smugglers and pyro'ficionados making their way from the Bob's House of Fireworks outlets that dot Interstate 5 the last 20 southbound miles into Oregon. But here in my 'burg, the police were cruising but weren't making any attempts to make contact with those making merry - as a matter of fact, the police station is within 1 block of my house and many of the surrounding residents apparently had no qualms about lighting fuses. Guess the cops figure it's a losing battle and will only get involved resulting from a complaint or to help locate a missing digit.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Anyone familiar with Simon Petri's (not sure of the spelling) - located in Front Royal, VA? At least it was there 35 years ago. I recall it as a sorta kinda souvenir tourist trap near the Skyline Drive. But man, oh man, come the 4th of July the place was a smorgasbord of things that went whizz, bang and sparkly - oh yeah... the wire sparklers that burned your fingers after you threw them into the air and then tried to pick them back up because they's still sparkling - only you grabbed the wrong wire part sticking out - or else you walked on one of the wires that was still hot and burned your tootsies - ah the wonderful memories of childhood. Wonder why they don't make 'em like that any more? (Note to self - gotta look for a web recipe for making sparklers.)

We'd (siblings and friends) would buy bottle rockets by the dozens - 3 dozen in a pack? - anyway the neck of the Coke bottle would be black and oily after a shooting session. Ah, the memories - but I know for certain we weren't out after 10:00 or so... damn kids these days.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I had to go stop a townie shooting off Roman candles and other aerials next to 100 acres of ripe wheat waiting combining and amid about 1000 A of 3-ft and taller native grass. It been only about 95 F and 20 mph wind all day... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yeah, bottle rockets were the happenin' 4th item, fer sher, with cherry bombs and M-80s a close second. I spent most of my money on bottle rockets, but what I miss the most were the real-live Roman Candles. Shooting flares into the air 100' in a rainbow of colors, only to drop into the lake (LRAFB) and hiss to their death. Those were really great.

- Better Living Through Denial ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In article , Fly-by-Night CC wrote: snip

Hell, I live right around the corner from the mayor of Portland* and the whole neighborhood sounded like D-Day until 1:00AM.

PDX David

*That shouldn't be taken as a gloat, by the way. The mayor moved into our working-class neighborhood a few years ago.
Reply to
Jane & David

One of my neighbors refered to our area as "Bagdad without the bodycount". Safe-n-Sane are allowed, but a fair number of people in our area had bottle rockets, M80s, rockets, etc. I'm glad I don't have a wood roof any more...

Reply to
Mike Iglesias