OT: How to Save Social Security

Page 7 of 8
GregP wrote:

Correction...Any "wing" fascism.

Let's kill all the extremists! :)
/Centrists, unite!
paul
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 23:11:21 -0400, Bill M

True, but the ones areound here are on the right-hand side.

I'm a left-wing fascist with not much of a fascia
nobody ever said what you are claiming they say... the dems arent saying its fine, and what clinton did or didnt do is irrelevant. they are saying the bush solution will not work. they are right.
why do you conservatives have to make stuff up to support your views? if liberals are mentally disabled, then what is the excuse of the 'sane' conservatives for lying? i mean, you claim to be sane, so your deception must be purposeful.
randy

Conservatism is a moral disorder.

Now I'm politically schizophrenic. Buy me a dollar hamburger!
HEE HAW!
| | Privatization is the only way to keep the polititians hands away from | your money ...............unless you are one of those Democrat Liberals | who believe that SS should be a re-distribution of wealth scheme. |
You mean privatization as in Enron, Worldcom, Arthur Andersen? How about Silverado Savings and Loan (remember this one, managed by no other than -- Neil Bush) and the other private managers who brought us the Savings and Loan Scandal (for which we're still paying)? Maybe there's a reason why the neocons have worked so diligently and so long to try to turn the word "liberal" into blasphemy in the public mind (have you bought into the deception?).
Why not trust our money to the former head of the New York Stock Exchange, Richard Grasso? Or Carly Fiorina?
Why exactly should we believe that for-profit funds managers will be more honest than the government?

I notice that Global Crossing is absent from your list. Remember, that's the company that Terry Mcaulife (you know the former head of the whole Democrat party) used to turn $100,000 into $18,000,000. And don't forget Madison Savings and Loan, run by the Clintons' business partners Jim and Susan McDougal.

You're kidding, right? "More honest than the government" is a pretty low hurdle. The fact is, none of the companies on your list are mutual fund companies that would likely be involved in SS money. I tell you what...you go find someone who pays into a retirement system and doesn't pay into SS that wants into SS. The fact is that the government took all of the money paid in from SS taxes and spent it on something else. If all I expect of a financial company is to be more honest than that, they should be easy to find.
todd
don't let me, the "robin hood" cowboy ever get in charge of things, or the rich bastards will finally pay their fair share, I don't care if it means a 99% top tax rate
I would divide all the land in the world by the number of people, and everyone would get their 20 acres or whatever.
It's God's land, he will punish Ted Turner and the other evildoers for trying to own millions of acres of it and keeping people off of God's creation
due to the nature of my job, I have gotten to know hundreds of millionaires personally, and I can say that the ones who earned it honestly, and not by exploitation of others and not through inheritance and luck and greed and crookedness, I can count on one hand. Not a very good percentage, like 1 or 2 %
disgusting
Jesus despised the wealthy of his day, the "moneychangers" at the temple
Jesus said the meek shall inherit the earth, and that rich men won't be going to heaven, and boy it is easy to see why!
cheers!
the barefoot cowboy bluesman (barefoot! - like Jesus)

Sounds like you're more bent on vengeance than equity or problem-solving so your voice has little merit outside of the shallow edge of the opinion pool. Ted Turner? Is that the worst case example you could come up with to make your point? Maybe he should share his lithium treatments with you.
-Bill
cowboy wrote:

Lithium is cheap and maybe helpful, but mostly the doctor always wants you do drop it and do something else about as useless.
| don't let me, the "robin hood" cowboy ever get in charge of things, or the | rich bastards will finally pay their fair share, I don't care if it means a | 99% top tax rate | | I would divide all the land in the world by the number of people, and | everyone would get their 20 acres or whatever. | | It's God's land, he will punish Ted Turner and the other evildoers for | trying to own millions of acres of it and keeping people off of God's | creation | | due to the nature of my job, I have gotten to know hundreds of millionaires | personally, and I can say that the ones who earned it honestly, and not by | exploitation of others and not through inheritance and luck and greed and | crookedness, I can count on one hand. Not a very good percentage, like 1 or | 2 % | | disgusting | | Jesus despised the wealthy of his day, the "moneychangers" at the temple | | Jesus said the meek shall inherit the earth, and that rich men won't be | going to heaven, and boy it is easy to see why! | | | cheers! | | the barefoot cowboy bluesman | (barefoot! - like Jesus)
Enjoyed it. Thanks, Cowboy. Seems like there's some folks practicing the "reverse Robin Hood principle." and a few too many who have been hoodwinked to believe that this is the pinnacle of ethics. Dunno about Ted Turner -- I haven't heard about this. I'm glad that you've met at least a few millionaires who are decent -- it's nice to know that it's not all black out there. "Moneychangers" = lobbyists? This is our "elephant-in-the-livingroom." I don't understand how people can encourage and facilitate greed and also claim to follow Jesus. Would anyone care to explain this paradox?

I believe it dates from a time when material wealth was seen as God's blessing, and therefore proof of salvation.
hey those rich white guys killed the previous occupants, or otherwise tricked them, and took the land in america fair and square. they shouldnt have to give any of it to anyone...
randy

G-zus Randy be quiet and go to bed

everyone gets so up in arms when anyone mentions anything about 'stealing from the rich' in this country. i think its only fair to point out how MOST of them got that way. not ferrari rich mind you. im talking change federal law rich. applying the 'third grade' standard to most of these people, and its clear they have lied and cheated to get there. if they were third graders they would be standing in the corner. but because they're 'capitalists' we say its ok?
its not ok steven. no. the conservatives WANT everyone to go back to bed. so they can get back to their business as usual. selling water to a nation on fire.
randy

I want a 6V6 GTA with good readings and advice on fixing a Bendix. I could give a flying fart about something I already have.
Speaking of Social Security, how about the topic of identity theft that is now exploding. Would the adoption of a 3 or 4 digit 'pin number' to everyone's social security number help in preventing identity theft? I/e/ a number that SS would assign to everyone, and it could be used as a final identity checker that would only be typed in like we now do with credit card and atm accounts when at the store, or the extra 3 digits on back of credit cards. If someone discovered the pin number thru fraud or whatever, you could go in person to soc security office and provide enough information to have it reset to a new number. And when someone tried to open new accounts under your social security number, they would be required to know that 4-digit code. Why don't I hear anyone talking about a solution to this problem instead of the same old crap about shredding up your bills etc. while the problem just skyrockets anyway???
frenchy wrote:

I'll do you one better: how 'bout an electronic card with a digital readout that changes the card number every few minutes?
Such a thing is possible and has been used for quite awhile to provide an ever-changing password to users of some high-security computer systems. It works by changing the password every few minutes so that any compromised password will only be valid for a couple of minutes. Don't know why such a scheme couldn't work with credit cards and SS cards.
IMHO, the use of the Social Security number for any non-governmental purpose should be banned at this point. The problems that are now surfacing related to the use of this number have been known and ignored for years.
Back in the late seventies, I attended a garage sale that was been put on by members of an outlaw motorcycle gang. Their club had been recently raided by the cops (possession of illegal weapons, I think it was), and they were trying to raise money to pay some of their legal bills.
The club had a pretty nice console that I bought from them at the sale. When I started dismantling the set for cleaning I discovered that two of the chassis mount bushings were missing (probably rotted away) and someone had propped up one side of the chassis with a tattered paperbook book to compensate.
That book was from some underground publisher and it was all about how to assume a new identity. It was a fascinating read....I read it from cover to cover without putting it down once. Although I never tried any of the techniques in the book, I had little doubt that they would probably work.
About three-quarters of the way through it it dawned on me that the same techniques could just as easily be used to assume someone else's identity as well. That was kind of a warning shot over the bow for me. Ever since that time I have made it a golden rule never to give my correct SSN to anyone who didn't have an absolute need to know. This has created some problems for me in the past, particularly with insurance companies who insisted on using my SSN as a policy ID number. (One of these companies would send me correspondence with the policy number right on the front of the envelope-insane!)
Nowadays, most of these folks have wised up and adopted a different numbering scheme not tied to the social security number, but widespread non-official use of it persists nonetheless. What a mess, what a mess.
-Scott
--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address: