The only rights you have are those that you can take and hold by yourself. Tom

Exactly so. Indiana takes a lot of heat for being "backward" but that's one thing this state got right in our Constitution:
"The people shall have the right to keep and bear arms, for the defense of themselves and of the State." -- IOW, the right to armed self-defense is explicit.
On 2010-02-19 22:38:06 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) said:

Of course, we did have a state legislature that tried to pass a law defining the value of pi as 3.0, so the "backward" image has some basis.

3.2, actually -- and it was only the House that was taken in, passing the bill 67-0 with little debate. Wiser heads prevailed in the Senate, though, where "the bill was brought up and made fun of. The Senators made bad puns about it, ridiculed it and laughed over it. The fun lasted half an hour." and consideration of it was "indefinitely postponed."
Full story: http://www.agecon.purdue . edu/crd/localgov/second%20level%20pages/indiana_pi_story.htm
Note, too, that this occurred in 1897, some considerable time after the Constitution was written.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

When I went to school in Indiana, it was always Ohio that had defined PI to be 9. A few quick search queries don't turn up anything, though.
Puckdropper

<puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Oh no. Much as I hate to admit it, that was my state, Indiana.

And here I was always told it was their Republican leanings.
Live and learn.
Lew
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:27:15 -0800, the infamous "DGDevin"

The nice thing about Canada is the wide open space in which to hide the bodies. ;) (just kidding)

Yeah, if you must defend yourself, do it right the first time, with the first shot or two.
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 15:15:47 -0800, the infamous "DGDevin"

He can't! Schools are gun-free zones, as afforded us by the libtards. They can't even carry them in their vehicles to school in most states. <sigh>
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow
Larry Jaques wrote:

Carry in your car? Heck, in most places your G.I. Joe doll has to be disarmed! I'm not kidding.
But you can carry a firearm in Texas schools with proper permission.
Interestingly, it was not against the law to carry a firearm at Virginia Tech. It was a SCHOOL rule and subjected the offender to disciplinary action (if a student, staff, or faculty). Visitors could go wild.
Again, in Texas, one may carry a concealed firearm in the state capitol or even the governor's office (our governor has a CHL). This may not last, though. A couple of weeks ago, some person left his representative's office, walked out to the capitol's front porch, pulled out his hog-leg, fired a few rounds in the air, and yelled out "Yee-Haw, Sani-Flush!"n fact the legislature got so pissed at some cities posting various things like libraries and parks, that a new law prohibits any government entity from disallowing firearms on any property owned or controlled by any branch of government. This includes libraries, parks, city hall, waste treatment plants, city owned busses, convention centers, anything. Of course there are obvious exceptions, like jails and courts.
Now some liberal representative (yes, we do have a few - we keep them around to show school children) is making noises about metal detectors and strip searches for capitol visitors. I sent him an email along the lines that if he was afraid to be in his office, he could resign, go back home, and sell earth shoes for a living.
I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm sure he figures he's safer in his capitol office - even with CHL weapons around - than he is back home in his ghetto.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Not true in AZ. CCW holders can leave their guns, out of sight, in a locked parked car on school grounds.
Wouldn't want to try that ambush tactic on one of the teachers from this school: <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5945430.html . My mom went to school in that district many years ago.

Rob Leatham

I hope they have sufficient well-locked file cabinets to document all those requirements. And have qualified school psychologists to certify the teachers.
Did I say I trust psychologists? Nooooo!!
--
Best regards
Han

Please, Han. Your silly liberalness is showing. If someone is unhinged, what's to stop them from taking a weapon to school _now_, when there are -no- others around to stop them?
And what the 'ell do locked file cabinets have to do with security at school? What "requirements"? And the teachers who would carry are already teaching and are already gun owners and CCW holders. Why the extra psychology crap? (Many believe that the psychologists are the sicker of the two, between the doctor and the patient. YMMV.) You've been living in NYC for too long, sir. ;)
Y'know, if racists would just stop noticing skin color and if gun-controllers would just stop seeing guns as inherently evil (and all gun owners as criminals), the world would be a much, much better and safer place.
(P.S: No, I'm not calling you a racist, Han. The outcome of two little changes in perspective would be similar, that's all.)
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow

I didn't think you'd call me a racist, so I'm grateful you make that clear. But please do go and read what the conditions are for being allowed to carry in that school.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Receiving training in crisis management is a bit different than receiving a psychological evaluation. Given that what the teachers would be defending could turn out to be a bit different than a homeowner defending his/her family, some knowledge of crisis situation control could be beneficial.

Rob Leatham
scrawled the following:

What, half a day at a crisis management class, the day they already spent at the gun range, and a box of frangible bullets. No biggie. As I said, most of those teachers who do not have licenses yet will not seek them, so most of those who will carry already have everything but the box of bullets and the class on crisis.
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow
Han wrote:

Relax Han, that place isn't the East coast, New England area where average citizens quiver in fear at the mere sight of the picture of a gun or the mere mention of guns. Most of the kids in that area have grown up hunting quail and rabbits on their parents' or relatives' farms and down in the Pease and Red Rivers. The teachers most likely have hunted with the kids or their parents. I've been there many times while I was growing up and after I moved to Dallas -- its a very rural area with very strong ties between neighbors watching out for each other. The reason the teachers wanted to be armed was the fact that Highway 287 runs very close to the school and there was concern that some crazy on the run from somewhere might cause trouble.

Rob Leatham
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:02:30 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita

It's truly too bad they have to lock 'em up, but at least they'll be closer than any cop's pistol would be when the fit hits the shan.

Nope, nor would I. Nor would I want to attend any school nowadays, with the sorry state of the educational systems and spoiled brats getting away with anything short of murder. It's sickening.
-- "Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt." -- Clarence Darrow
On Feb 19, 2:06pm, Dave Balderstone

Seek help.
Seriously.

I was seriously looking at laptops recently (a month ago) and couldn't hardly find any without built in cameras. Apparently, once you get past the super cheap ones, they're standard equipment.
Puckdropper