OT: Got a laptop with a built in camera?

Page 1 of 3
Mind the wrap...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/18/school-allegedly-uses-students-laptop-webcam-for-espionage-law /
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 2/19/2010 2:09 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/18/school-allegedly-uses-students-laptop-webcam-for-espionage-law / Yep ... maybe Dell could use it whenever they want? Where's my blue painter's tape?
"The tale begins when Assistant Principal Lindy Mastko of Harriton High School informed a student that he was "engaged in improper behavior in his home"
WTF are we coming to??
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Fifteen years ago, SGI Indy workstations came with a webcam. There was one in the SGI library for employees to use. Being unix, remote logins were quite typical and folks would often turn on the webcam remotely in the library.
One day, they caught a VP & Admin literally with their pants down.
scott
On 2/19/2010 2:35 PM, Swingman wrote:

Do you Yahoo? If so, you have already agreed to the following as one sliver of their TOS:
"You understand that through your use of the Yahoo! Services you consent to the collection and use (as set forth in the applicable privacy policy) of this information, including the transfer of this information to the United States and/or other countries for storage, processing and use by Yahoo! and its affiliates"
and from their "privacy policy"
"Yahoo! automatically receives and records information from your computer and browser"
I doubt that Google is much different. It's not a "coming to" as much as what we've already allowed to crawl in under the door.
Video is just another facet of the jewel.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 2/19/2010 3:09 PM, Morris Dovey wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/18/school-allegedly-uses-students-laptop-webcam-for-espionage-law /
the camera to capture the crook who stole their laptop.
It is my understanding that a special program is required that will turn on he camera, capture the images from the camera, make the internet connection and transmit the inforomation.
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Which the school put on the machines, and then apparently used as spyware.

I saw that earlier today on techdirt.com
I'm not sure if, as a parent, I'd consult a lawyer, or simply ambush the SOB responsible and break both his legs with a baseball bat.

Both ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

They had words...and then the guy came towards him...clearly a case of self defence.

Well, they'd have to be in the correct order.
Bat first, lawyer second?

Sounds like a plan to me ... Rob's got the drill down.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Don't you just hate it when somebody slams their eyeball onto your elbow and then proceeds to ram his groin onto your knee?
On 2/19/2010 7:16 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Man after my own heart ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Hire the lawyer to break both his legs with a baseball bat.

Better hope he doesn't have a CCW permit.

Unlikely here in Canada.

Ah, yes. I was reading some article on firearms legislation many years ago and it quoted the then Minister of Justice in Canada as stating Canadian law did not recognize a right to self-defense. Even if it was his opinion as opposed to the law it struck me as an astonishing statement. But considering that well-publicized case in Britain recently where a home-owner was jailed for injuring the leader of an armed home-invasion gang who threatened his family, maybe it was more than just the Minister's opinion.

We're nowhere near the cesspool that GB is. Handguns are severely restricted, but the current Conservative government has suspended the long gun registry implemented by the Liberals.
The law in Canada certainly recognizes the right to self defence, and there are many cases in recent years that demonstrate that the crown prosecutors understand that right.

I heard about that, but then there is nothing to stop the Liberals from moving ahead with the program when they return to power since you have no constitutional right that would stop them.

On both sides of the border prosecutors sometimes demonstrate it's a right they don't really understand and/or agree with. However one difference between Canada and the U.S. is that in the U.S. many states have made it clear the right to self-defense is not open to question by passing so-called "make my day" laws that protect those who use deadly force in self-defense. Of course some people take it too far, that recent Oklahoma case where a pharmacist shot (and incapacitated) a robber and then went and got another gun and shot him five more times as he lay unconscious being a good example--self-defense doesn't apply when you shoot someone who is incapable of harming you.

That is correct. There is no constitutional right to bear arms, or for that matter constitutional protection of property rights, in Canada