OT: German police fired 85 bullets in 2011

Page 2 of 2

That's a bad quote from the plaque on the statue of liberty ...
--
Best regards
Han
Dave wrote:

Greed. While greed is generally a good thing to have, there are always those who want to subvert the system. They learn in Sunday School there is no penalty for disobeying the Tenth Commandment.
Their avarice is the price we must pay for the freedom to excel - or fail.

I'm still not quite sure that greed is good. Hunger to get stuff or knowledge, obtained without theft, yes that is good. Teaching others without usury, that's good too.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

One ancient worthy said: "Without greed, no man would build a home, marry, or raise a child." Another equally wise man once said: "Greed is a natural human emotion given to us by God and God doesn't make junk!" (except for the gall bladder)
It's not greed (or hate or anything else) that's bad, it's what you DO with the inclination. You don't handle a bowling ball the same way you handle a box of dynamite; likewise you treat hate differently than love and greed more cautiously than charity.
Consider Albert Sabin peering into his microscope. He was motivated, no doubt, by many altruistic urges. Still, to a large or small degree he undoubtedly was motivated by some emotions that others would consider unacceptable. He may have had enough pride to think "If I can whip this, people will shout my name and think I'm a swell fellow." He may have thought: "A solution will earn me enough money to research the things I want without having to suck up to the bureaucrats." Maybe he even considered: "I'll beat that goddamn Jonas Salk like a drum."
Whatever.
As a result of his thinking - good and bad - Polio has been eradicated, world-wide*, during my lifetime and yours.
--
* Except for small pockets of Muslim-dominated areas in India and Somalia
where the oral polio vaccine is considered an attempt by Western powers to
Han wrote:

Of course not.
But reverse the cause and effect.
If raw greed generates good things, well, there you are.
Very bad choice of BS to change the topic and force your views into the conversation.
In 1977, even Jonas Salk admitted that mass inoculations caused most polio cases since 1961.
The Salk vaccine proved highly dangerous. Information about it was suppressed, and declines in the disease were well underway when mass-immunizations were begun. In Europe, they occurred in countries that used, then rejected the vaccine proving it was never needed in the first place. Showing also that the same is true for other diseases, including Swine Flu with the WHO and CDC admitting that most cases are mild, unthreatening, and generally pass without treatment, let alone risking dangerous unneeded vaccines.
---------- "HeyBub" wrote in message
Consider Albert Sabin peering into his microscope. He was motivated, no doubt, by many altruistic urges. Still, to a large or small degree he undoubtedly was motivated by some emotions that others would consider unacceptable. He may have had enough pride to think "If I can whip this, people will shout my name and think I'm a swell fellow." He may have thought: "A solution will earn me enough money to research the things I want without having to suck up to the bureaucrats." Maybe he even considered: "I'll beat that goddamn Jonas Salk like a drum."
Whatever.
As a result of his thinking - good and bad - Polio has been eradicated, world-wide*, during my lifetime and yours.
I'll follow your disconnected example by top-posting.
In my story, I used Albert Sabin as an exemplar, not Jonas Salk. Sure, there were problems with Salk's, live virus, formulation, but NOT with Sabin's oral, dead-virus, vaccine.
As for off-topic, one example does not make a rule, but one example to the contrary disproves the "rule." In this case, it was alleged that greed is bad. I was merely putting up a case where greed led to a good result.
m II wrote:

http://begthequestion.info /

The obvious solution, given the US's mean lower age compared to Germany, is to ship the young males off to war, have mandatory inscription into the military for 2-3 years to keep them in a controlled environment, incarcerate them until they mature, or otherwise remove sufficient numbers of young males from the population to bring the mean age in line with Germany and increase the ratio of females to males. ;~) It's just so obvious... though perhaps not palatable. ;~)
Dig up a copy of Glenn Deane's early study... http://www.springerlink.com/content/n375532r1rg58520/ One of many... he has also done other interesting work on homicide and specific types of homicide, e.g., lynching's, over the years. Gary Mauser, John Lott, Don Kates, Dave Kopel and others have also done cross-national research...
John
On 5/17/2012 3:30 AM, Bob Martin wrote:

Which begs the question, is language fluid or stagnant?
--
Jack

Digging into the crevices of my mind to pull things out from my past.... Leaving out all the academic lingo.... cross-national non-war violence rates are mostly tied to the median age of the population and the proportion of males to females.... police shootings are tied to violence levels so police shootings are also tied to median age and gender ratio.
A real simple comparison of U.S. vs Germany rates for example:
Gender ratio (males/females) Median Age Total Ages 15-64 US 44.30 .97 1.00 Germany 36.80 .97 1.04
Which suggests that median age is the primary influence here... older people do less violence. Thanks go to my former associate Glenn Deane, http://www.albany.edu/sociology/fac_profile_Deane.shtml for his study on cross-national homicide statistics.
http://www.photius.com/rankings/population/median_age_total_2011_0.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_sex_ratio
More generally, non-war violence/homicide has little to nothing to do with gun availability as weapons substitution comes into play. Whether it's knives, bats, weapons of opportunity, or feet, things other than guns can kill depending upon how the force is applied. Having more handguns in circulation compared to rifles and shotguns, and better medical care helps the homicide rates too... less lethal wounds coupled with better care.
Getting back on topic... I'll take a gun stock made of a nicely figured piece of hand rubbed oiled walnut over a "black gun" any day! ;~)
John
On Tue, 15 May 2012 17:08:57 +0000, Han wrote:

IIRC, there are special semi-military police forces to deal with violent situations. But I'm not sure about that.