Gas-fired combi boiler in cupboard?

Hello,

The Council will be installing a new gas-fired combined boiler/tank in my flat.

The existing system has the hot water tank is in a bathroom cupboard (useful for drying clothes etc.) but the new combi boiler/tank will be installed on the kitchen wall.

So, can a combi be installed in the cupboard, with a few modifications (e.g. a slatted door for combustion air?)

Reply to
mreks

*NO* open-flued gas appliance may be installed in a bathroom, but almost all modern boilers are room-sealed and do not draw combustion air from the room.

They can be installed in bathrooms providing the Zone requirements of the IEE Electrical Regulations are complied with.

Whether the boiler can be placed in a cupboard (and how big a cupboard, and whether ventilation is required) depends on the boiler manufacturer's instructions, which must be complied with.

The real issue is do you want a combi boiler in the first place, if you are happy with having a hot water tank. The main advantage of a combi is getting rid of the hot water tank.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My combi boiler had to go on an outside wall to get the airflow and exhaust flue.

Same happened to my parents too.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
someone here

Most modern combis require no ventilation from the house at all and can be entirely boxed in without so much as a single ventilation hole. There are exceptions, however, and the installation guide must be closely examined first.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

As suggested by earlier post: the boiler will require a (balanced) flue, possibly fan assisted and passing either through an external wall or through the roof through whwre air can be drawn in and exhaust fumes passed out - preventing occupants passing out.

In my last 2 houses, with room sealed boilers, adquate (significant) ventilation to the cupboard was also insisted on (not sure why). As a personal preference, I have a Carbon Monoxide alarm fitted just outside the cupboard.

-- hammy

Reply to
Ham

Even some fanned flue boilers still insist on ventilation. However, these days, finding one that requires no compartment ventilation is very easy.

Of course, you can get ignorant BCOs and installers who insist on ventilation even when it is explicitly not required, just because they learnt their trade in 1973 and their brain cells are incapable of reconfiguration.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Alot of modern combi boilers installed in kitchens get boxed in at later date by the occupier.....when this is done you must leav sufficiant clearances around your boiler from combustabl materials...also access for repairs...you will find boiler clearance in your manufactures instructions.....usually the clearances ar NOT me and then your new boiler is classed as NOT TO CURRENT STANDARDS by th gas industry...however that classification will probably be tightene as the years go on by the boffins in the HSE and corgi...best to stic to the rules when boxing in your boiler or you will get the usua pestering remarks from the gas man when he calls to do the servic

-- gastec

Reply to
gastec