Blood all over maple.

So today I machined my draw faces, sides and some other items.

the draw faces are maple, the sides poplar. These will be for lateral files..

Well while gluing up I cut my knuckle... I didn't notice it. But after a while I started seeing RED literally all over the wood. I sucked the blood off the knuckle and continued to clamp the multiple draw faces up.

Now trying to get the boards aligned... damn red everywhere. This little cut was gushing.

So after it's all clamped I start with water... not coming out. Then alcohol... better but not great.

Hopefully when I finish thicknessing the staining will be gone. Maple's hard... and maybe it didn't go deep. But if it did, will Oxalic acid clean off the blood from the maple?

Reply to
tiredofspam

Draw??? ;~) Drawer right?

files? You are really starting to be as confusing as me now... LOL

In 1989 I was building maple tool boxes, four of them for Christmas presents while I was on vacation. I cut half my thumb off and got blood on the maple. It will eventually turn very dark with no color. So while that is not much better, it is better than red! :~)

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------- Don't know if Oxalic acid will work but the standard for getting blood out is to soak it in salt water followed by soak in clear water.

Lew

PS: The sooner the better.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Household hydrogen peroxide (3% solution) dissolves blood, removing the red color. It cleans wounds, also. Peroxide should be in everyone's medicine cabinet. It's inexpensive, too.

100% hydorgen peroxide is rocket fuel.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Hydrogen peroxide does a wonderful job on blood stains. Don't know what it does to maple.

Reply to
Joe

Sonny wrote in news:d91cce3c-4bb9-416b-9bdb- snipped-for-privacy@t23g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

30% H2O2 is the most concentrated that is relatively easily obtainable, but even 3% is a pretty good oxidator.

Joke is here:

Han

Yes

Ok, I agree reading it now.

Great, that's not what I want. But I will be staining or dyeing this. There's some figure so I'll see how a sample looks with dye. But I need to get rid of the DARK blotch that will occur.

I'll try the Peroxide... Not sure I want to add salt water to the equation... But if the peroxide doesn't work I'll try that.

Thanks guys.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Yes

Ok, I agree reading it now.

Great, that's not what I want. But I will be staining or dyeing this. There's some figure so I'll see how a sample looks with dye. But I need to get rid of the DARK blotch that will occur.

I'll try the Peroxide... Not sure I want to add salt water to the equation... But if the peroxide doesn't work I'll try that.

Thanks guys.

Reply to
tiredofspam

DiHydrogen Monoxide has been known to kill many people, no matter what state it is in: liquid, gas, or solid.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So today I machined my draw faces, sides and some other items.

the draw faces are maple, the sides poplar. These will be for lateral files..

Well while gluing up I cut my knuckle... I didn't notice it. But after a while I started seeing RED literally all over the wood. I sucked the blood off the knuckle and continued to clamp the multiple draw faces up.

Now trying to get the boards aligned... damn red everywhere. This little cut was gushing.

So after it's all clamped I start with water... not coming out. Then alcohol... better but not great.

Hopefully when I finish thicknessing the staining will be gone. Maple's hard... and maybe it didn't go deep. But if it did, will Oxalic acid clean off the blood from the maple? ========================================================================= Now you've done it. The only recourse is to draw enough blood to do an even stain job. It might be your life's work. :)

Reply to
CW

No idea but sand paper will.

More info here...

dadiOH

Reply to
dadiOH

I was thinking alongthose same lines. Anyone ever seen the Red Violin?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Should try hydrogen peroxide to remove blood. WW

Reply to
WW