OT: Frontline / Sick Around the World / Online & 3/31 on PBS

Page 2 of 2
Nova wrote:

Excellent parable. It also illustrates the different methodologies in capturing wild pigs. We right-wingers wouldn't go to all the trouble of corn and fences and time.
We'd just shoot the porkers the first day.
"HeyBub" wrote

From an age based perspective, and the view looking over Attila the Hun's right shoulder, I would shoot those casting the corn/building the fences ... save a damn sight more time and angst.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Didn't you Texans do that in the past with a different brand of sheep herders?
http://www.jcs-group.com/oldwest/war/grass.html
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

Only Texans that have sheep are Aggies.
Brought them back as war brides after the mistaken invasion of New Zealand (which is a whole 'nother story that had something to do with a muskrat and a jar of mayonnaise - I never was too clear on the details).

Unfortunately, it was the preceding President who oiled the gate's hinges and put a stronger spring on the closer.

Not totally true. Have you priced paving lately? No individual can afford many of the things we insist, rightly, that government carry out. It's at the point of deciding what's right for the government to do, and what isn't, that people differ.

Yup. But when was the line crossed? Maybe with something as simple, and old, as the Louisiana Purchase, doubling the size of the U.S. and tripling or quadrupling its real needs for government intervention? It sure isn't a recent phenomenon that government grew beyond reasonable bounds.
Charlie Self wrote:

But the government's not interested in doing things cheaply.
I invented a biped that attaches to a shovel handle to keep the shovel in an upright position. I tried to sell my invention to several local governments on the basis that my device could cut labor costs - no longer would a work crew digging a hole have to have a couple of people on the payroll whose sole purpose was to keep shovels vertical.
No takers.
I concluded that governments weren't interested in saving money.

Not curel at all, they knew going in that investing was a gamble whether they need the money or not. No one forced tham to invest in the stock market.
Snip

Yeah, what country do you live in?

Or ride motorcycles. Or jump from perfectly good airplanes. Or SCUBA dive. Or ski. Or own firearms. Or are presumed genetically predisposed to early failure of some sort. Or don't wear sunscreen. Or...
MikeWhy wrote:

Heh, oddly enough I answer to most of those categories, although I do use suncreen.