OT - Death of Shop Dog

I'm really sorry to lay this on you guys especially this time of year and when Annie my shop dog died suddenly a few weeks ago I wasn't going to say anything, just keep a stiff upper lip. She was an 11 year old Beagle-Basset cross and was the best dog by far that I ever had. I have never met a friendlier dog. I was hoping the pain of her loss would go away after a few weeks but I can't help think of her every time I expect her to be around and she isn't. The only thing that really helps is to remember the great times, especially her unconditional love, patiently waiting in or near my shop. I don't know if it was a premonition or not but this summer I took more time than ever petting her and enjoying her company as I realized she was getting older and would not be around forever.

One of the hardest things I ever did was to build her coffin, just a simple box of rough pine that her body fit in comfortably. It took about 30 minutes to build and I cried uncontrollably the whole time. I'm usually really careful with my wood but she got the best 1 x 10 rough pine boards in the shop. The coffin will be kept out of the sun in a north facing corner where my shop joins the barn. It will be insulated with straw bales until the frost is out of the ground next spring. She will be buried at her favourite spot just to the side of the driveway under a maple tree overlooking our country road where she could keep an eye on the action and was always there waiting for us to come home. A brass remembrance plaque will be fixed to the tree.

For those of you with dogs, take a little extra time to comfort them and give them back just a little of all that they give you. I am grateful and privileged to have had Annie in my life for all those years. I don't know if there is a heaven for dogs but if there is I know one that will be there.

Happy New Year,

Glen Duff

Reply to
Glen Duff

As someone who has had some great dogs over the years, my heart goes out to you. Some people can never understand how one can get so attached to a dog, but believe me, I do know how you feel. About giving that extra love, thanks for the reminder. My shop dog, a German Shepard/Newfoundland mix will be 15 in March, and I can see the weakness in her legs. She doesn't run into the shop anymore, but sort of ambles in. It will be a sad day when she joins your Annie in that great pasture in the sky. I will remember to give her that extra pat on the head this morning when I head out to the shop.

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Dude, that was a really depressing story. Is this the appropriate place to be posting it? I think alt.support.grief.pet-loss would be a better choice.

Reply to
Joey Bosco

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 06:41:03 -0500, Glen Duff Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Glen:

i just read your post, and bawled my eyes out. after i composed myself and headed upstairs to get my coffee, i had to stop and give my lab some real good lovin, as i had scooted him out of the way when making my coffee not more than 10 minutes before.

our pets are the most often over looked members of our family, and always the most living, asking little in return.

my thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours

Traves "squarefinger" Coppock

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Totally appropriate and we are glad to have learned about Annie. She deserved being mentioned here today. After all, she was a shop dog.

Reply to
Leon

Joey, I know that you're new around here, you've only been posting since the middle of the month or so, perhaps you didn't notice while you were lurking. This is a community, we share things with each other, and to some degree live in each others pockets. You'll find posts about friends families and all the other things that go on in our lives here, it adds to the cohesion of the group and the feeling of togetherness. You might want to read the FAQ, there are a lot of conversations going on at once, but sometimes they come together over certain points, and those we love is definitely one of the points. Speaking of which, anybody heard from Perry recently. Dave in fairfax

Reply to
dave

As Leon said, "totally appropriate". Following is a direct copy from David Eisans' mini-FAQ about the wRECk that may put it in perspective for you.

"This group is a collection of people with a common interest in woodworking (ww'ing), and as such the topics discussed sometimes wander away from strictly ww'ing. Think of this NG as if you were having a number of friends over to your shop to discuss ww'ing, 90% of the discussion will revolve around ww'ing, but you will also discuss other things going on in your life, like your shop dog dying, gloating about the vintage minty fresh Unisaur you just got for $100, just got a new job, etc. That is what we do in this NG."

Glen, our hearts are with you. I'll be sure to give my Boxer buddy "Lindy" an extra belly-rub this morning.

Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Hi Glen: Buried my dog just outside my workshop window 2 years ago. Pine box also. Many of us have the same feelings for our best friend. Never got another friend, getting old myself and do not want to leave a dog behind that no one cares about. My neighbor knew about the coffin project, told someone else, so since that time i have made 8 other "coffins" for dogs and a couple cats for others. Some people laugh at this but i have even sold a few to a local Vet to keep on hand. His son offers burial service for older couples that cannot handle shovel work any more for free. That is a real good hearted kid !

Reply to
Why ? Why not !

snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com:

Sorry, I did not mean to sound rude. It just brought up some bad memories for me. The OP did mention that he was having difficulties dealing with his pet loss and I suggested a group that would be good for support. My condolences. I lost an Amstaff Terrier last year so I know the feeling.

Reply to
Joey Bosco

I always hate reading posts such as this. Having been in your shoes, I can tell you that it does get better and you should take some comfort in knowing that Annie was one of the lucky ones to have had a country home with a family that loved her. And to rest in such a beautiful enviornment is "just" for the happiness that she gave you and your family for the time she was here.

Don

Reply to
V.E. Dorn

Very sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my BB parrot 2 months ago to a sudden heart attack which was tough to stop seeing him after 13 years. He died in my hands. I built his coffin the day he died, and buried him where he enjoys the morning sun. It was a very sad day for me, and still I get moments of depression.

Reply to
Phisherman

I feel sorry for you, I hate thinking about it though, my shop dog (snowball) is 12 yrs. old...American Eskimo....and I know that someday will come.....but for now, he still likes carrying my scraps of wood around n being shop guard dog.......so sad to hear of your pet. Its amazing how us humans can get attached to an animal....it gonna be tough when you reqlly have to put her in the ground, just remeber the good times, that should help........Best wishes....

Reply to
George Berlinger

Glen Duff wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@attcanada.net:

Glen, sorry to hear about the loss of your companion. Try to focus on the years of friendship between the two of you. Never forget the good times.

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

Glen, my condolences. After reading your story, I gave my lab, Stormy, a tummy rub and a milkbone. Tony P.S. I thought the following may be appropriate:

The Final Walk A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them.

After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it, he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother of pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold.

He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?" "This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water?" the man asked. "Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up." The man gestured, and the gate began to open. "Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked. "I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept dogs."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?" "Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there". The man pointed to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in." "How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog. "There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked. "This is Heaven," was the answer.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's Hell."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No. I can see how you might think so, but we're just happy that they screen out the folks who'll leave their best friends behind."

Reply to
Tony Mo

My heart goes out to you, man. Keep the memories close to your heart. When you're ready, you may want to allow yourself to think about a new pup?

I wish you the best....

Reply to
brad

Reply to
Grandpa

My condolances on your loss...it is amazing how these "small lives" can make such a big impact on our lives, and, how noticable their absence is. It is a hard thing to have to go through, but, perhaps it will help to remember that for many years she provided you with that friendship, and, you provided her with a safe, loving home. I am sure that later on, after you have mourned a bit more, you will find another companion for the shop, and, will provide that dog with a great home for many years. The new dog is not a replacement, for each animal is a unique individual, but, is part of that continuing chain and will bring its own comfort, good memories, frustrations and joys. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

This story was done many years ago either on The Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. Totally weepy and the old guy with the dog did a great job. Watch for it.

We lost our cat of 18+ years last week and it has been very tough on all in the family. Our girls who are now near the end of college knew her ever since they could remember.

- -

DL

> Evidently your buddy Cedeño is a bastard.

::::::::::::::::

"When you make fun of someone washing his truck, that's sad."

- Jeff Kent

::::::::::::::::

Halter Sucks!

Reply to
DL

Your story brought back memory's of loosing my pup last year. American Eskimo, Nanuuk 9 years old. His passing helped me to give two other pets new homes. When you are ready, take a look at petfinder.com My Thoughts are with you, this little poem might help.

Rainbow Bridge There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of it's many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush , green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail pets are made young again. Those who are maimed are made whole again and they play all day.

There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on earth. So each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly looks up. The nose twitches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group!

You have been seen and when you and your special friend meet, you take them in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusted friend.

And you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated.

Reply to
Andrew

RAINBOW BRIDGE

--------------

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

...Mike ...Bart "I'm not setting foot in that shop" (7 year old mixed breed) ...Sophie "I'll stay until you turn on the ShopVac" (16 month old Bernese Mountain Dog)

Reply to
Mike Alexander