OT - Death of Shop Dog

In

Glen, Sorry for your loss.

Funny, my pup, Finn McCool is a three YO Choc Lab loves the shop vac. She'll stick her mouth over the exhaust and let her cheeck flap and even like the sucking end. I'm all the time buying new brush attachments. Now when the planer goes on she's outa there.

Allen Catonsville, MD

Reply to
Allen Epps

Harumph, I'll now look at this before I post it to make it actully make sense.

Funny, my pup, Finn McCool is a three YO Choc Lab loves the shop vac.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

So sorry Glen, My Irish Setter died in my arms a long time ago, so I know the hurt. My wife's dog won't come anywhere near my shop, looks in and runs away. But the abandoned kitten we picked up on the street a few months ago loves to climb on anyplace I am working, rubs against my hand waiting for a pat. Then goes and sits in the big leather chair, curls up and sleeps until I open the door, then it runs over waiting to get out.

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Glen Duff snipped-for-privacy@attcanada.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@attcanada.net:

Sorry about the dog. With your next dog, you should let her spend more time outside and less time in your woodworking shop.

Reply to
Special Lady

Reply to
The Guy

My heart goes out to you Glen. My "Raven", a lab-golden cross, is the love of my life. She is wherever I am...shop, easy chair (all 60 lbs in my lap), car, bed... She is my constant companion and when her time is up, they might as well put me in the ground with her. :o( And yes, I believe there is a heaven for dogs...it's where they wait for us when our time comes.

Reply to
Blue

Man that really sucks, I had to put down the family cat last week that had been with me for 18 years. Boo cat outlasted two failed marriages and my children growing up chasing her around the house. She had been with me during the bad times and good times and never new the difference, unlike a few women I knew and have known. Every night she would jump up on my lap and just want a few pats and a warm welcome.

A few weeks ago I noticed she had come down with something she was not going to recover from, unlike so many other times. Believed in her 18 years she probably went through 10 of her so called lives. She stopped eating then the next day stopped drinking and was miserably crying with a sound I had never heard, more like a shreak. Walking a few steps then losing her balance and just barely standing looking into space. My girlfriend and I decided it was time but no vets were open (Sunday)and if they were to come in they wanted 300.00 bucks to administer a shot. What a rip!

We decided to give her an overdose of sleeping pills. That was one of the hardest things I have ever done. Her looking up at me as I held her mouth open and my g/f giving her the lethal dose through an eye dropper. My heart sank, the tears ran and an uncontrollable sobbing took over as I held her in my arms and she went to sleep. I held her for at least an hour and then noticed a final last labored breath and she was gone. The whole time wondering if I had done the right thing? The next morning I buried her under a huge pine tree she loved to climb. I think of her everyday and yes I really do miss her. Pets are one of the few stable things in our lives and they never really ask for much, unlike most humans their unconditional love is constant and forever.

I know she was just a cat but she was a good friend that I will never forget!

I know what you're feeling! Cause I'm feeling it now.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

Mine too. Freckles. A white mutt with brown, well, freckles. She's always there. When I'm in here, she sits in a rocking chair that squeaks. I know she's at my side by the squeaking of the chair.

She's about four or five, still a lot of years ahead of her, but I'm already dreading the sad day when she will pass away. Dogs are wonderful companions, but they get old too damn fast.

Reply to
Silvan

Glenn. I'm sorry for the loss of Annie.

My family's lost two dogs this past year: first to go was Dutch, our 14 year old Australian Shepherd/Keeshond mix - time finally caught up with him; a few months later our Catahoula Hound, Gustav Stinkly, was undergoing emergency surgery and died on the table - just minutes from closing him up. He was only 6 years old. The vet and all the techs were in tears - vet even did heart massage in an attempt to bring him back.

Sometimes while walking through our bedroom, I spot something sticking out from the other side of the bed and immediately think it's Dutch's paw - the floor by my wife's side was where one would usually have found him napping. Other times I could swear I had just heard the jingling of his collar tags as he shook himself when waking.

My point in relating this is to say, they never truly leave and you'll never forget. They become such a part of our lives that even in their absence they are felt. Glenn, I hope you will take comfort in my and other's retelling of our experiences. We know the pain and the emptiness you feel. It may not feel like it, but it does get better with time.

On a happier note, a couple months after Gustav died my wife insisted we go take a look at the county pound. A Black Lab picked us out. She's approximately 2 years old and sweet as all get out - our 5 year old named her Poccla (Pock-la). About a day or two after getting her, I was in the shop working on the lathe for a few hours. Looked down and beneath the lathe, sleeping in the mound of shavings and getting covered with more was Poccla. I guess she felt this was home.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Sorry to hear of your loss. I know how you feel...my 10 year old cat (also named Boo Cat"!) has been with me through thick and thin. I have no need for any sort of blanket or throw when I kick back in my lazyboy to watch TV...I am covered in 18 pounds of long haired cat and 60 lbs of long haired dog. Makes it a little difficult to get up in a hurry. I wonder how many Boo cats there are in this world? Mine started out as "Boodles" but somehow ended up with Boocat as his moniker.

Reply to
Blue

Thanks for all your kindness and pet stories, they were all most helpful.

Have a great 2004 to you and yours including the pets.

Glen Duff

Reply to
Glen Duff