Backsplash(?) on end table question

I'm planning on building a couple of night tables similiar to the table on this month's FWW cover. I like the idea of adding a low backsplash(if that's the correct term) to stop articles from falling off the back. However I'd like to mitre a couple of pieces to the backsplash along the sides also. Is this feasible considering wood expansion? If so, any suggestions on how to secure them to the top? I'm concerned with the mitered corners opening up and not looking too good. TIA

Reply to
Bri

I made one with a molding along the back five or so years ago and I seem to remember getting the idea from an article in FWW. Here's the one I built:

back of the top is rabbeted and a cove molding is glued in. If you do a good job matching grain you can't tell they aren't one piece of wood unless you look really close.

You should be. I can't think of a good way to do it unless you make the top of of plywood (maybe do some veneering?).

Reply to
Scott Post

If I'm reading the original description right, I'm thinking this could be done very similarly to how breadboard ends should be treated - secure one portion and let the rest slide with the seasons. More specifically, glue and fasten the miters and the side rails of the backsplash to the backsplash and rear of the top. To attach the forward facing legs of the side rails, place screws into the rails from below through slotted holes in the top to allow for the top's expansion/contraction.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC