OT: Concrete Stain

I am not sure if there is a better group to ask this in (feel free to send me ideas) but here is my project:

I just had some pre-formed stairways installed outside a rental facility. They are bright white concrete with lots of rebar and aggregate inside. The outside is smooth concrete and really bright and I'm thinking about "staining" it a slightly darker color so it looks better around the facility. I know it will "fade" or self-stain over time, but I want it to look good now.

Any idea if there is a type of stain that will penetrate cured concrete? How about something that will not only penetrate but match the color of bluestone or shale aggregate and not fade quickly?

I thought of an oil-based paint severely watered down with acetone or alcohol... But don't know what will or will not work. I'm also working on getting a few samples to play with.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"

once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Reply to
Joe

You need to find some concrete stain. Here is some information:

water based:

acid based:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

Excellente... Or as "us" Sicilians say, exeldente!

...Ever see the Soparanos? Not me... When you live it, you don't watch it.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"

once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

Reply to
Joe

My Old Tools

Joe wrote: : I just had some pre-formed stairways installed outside a rental facility. : They are bright white concrete with lots of rebar and aggregate inside. The : outside is smooth concrete and really bright and I'm thinking about : "staining" it a slightly darker color so it looks better around the : facility. I know it will "fade" or self-stain over time, but I want it to : look good now.

: Any idea if there is a type of stain that will penetrate cured concrete?

I recently used an acid stain from Kemiko on the floors of a guesthouse, and really like the look -- it gives a marbelized look, in a variety of colors.

Have a look at:

stuff.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to