OT: Colbert Explains Hannity's "Liberty Tree" Video

Page 1 of 4
These right-wingers are going off the deep end. Hannity has the mind of a seventh grader. Video near the bottom of the page. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/08/colbert-takes-on-hannitys_n_199820.html
Lazlo wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/08/colbert-takes-on-hannitys_n_199820.html
Oh yeah now that's news! Right. Sorry didn't watch the video and won't. Huffington Post? A George Soros spinoff? Like anything on this site is anywhere near the truth.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Ummm, the video was just Hannity's show in an unbroken segment. Nothing was taken out of context. How is that untruthful? If it will make you feel better, here's the same lame segment on Fox: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,519158,00.html
That didn't make you cringe? It bothers me when someone mangles words and uses lame logic. You must have a friend that couldn't conjure up a good analogy or metaphor to save their life. That's Hannity. Sorry.
The founding fathers and colonial troops were terrorists. They hid behind trees instead of taking the bullet in the chest like a man...at least that was the opinion of the people loyal to the king.
You shouldn't be afraid to listen/read/watch opinions from the other side. That applies to everything in life, not just politics. It's the only way you learn and grow.
Lazlo wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/08/colbert-takes-on-hannitys_n_199820.html
Just to add some fuel, a study by The Ohio State University found that conservatives tend to believe that Colbert means what he says and that he dislikes liberalism. See http://hij.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/14/2/212
Dang those commie universities.     ;-)

Even my Kid and his friends think of Colbert as a joke. They love him and support all of his wierd causes because it is so funny to them, space station Colbert was a favorite.
jo4hn wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/08/colbert-takes-on-hannitys_n_199820.html
Think you forgot to mention this woman that wrote the report made a appearance on PMSNBC Keith Olbermann's phony show. Geeee I wonder just how credible she really is? Most that show up are discredit right away.
http://www.wikiality.com/The_Irony_of_Satire
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Hannity, Limbaugh and Beck all have at least one thing in common - they are uneducated gasbags.
Not one of them has a degree beyond high school.
It's like the blond leading the blond.
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

What does that have to do with anything? I work every day among people having the highest academic credentials and that hasn't stopped the vast majority of them from being blithering idiots with no common sense whatsoever. Not to take anything away from those who just happen to be educated AND smart, but beyond establishing (on paper) that a well-educated person has enough wherewithal to see a task through from start to completion, I'm not convinced there's any correlation between the two.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

So, there is an inverse correlation between education level and intelligence?
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

There certainly can be. 'Ever taken a course from the Education department of your university. It is almost inevitably the most foolish, useless, and anti-intellectual drivel you'll encounter - and they hand out Ph.Ds in this stuff. Then there's the entire horizon of Victim's Studies in various drag - again, deeply anti-intellectual.
Education does not equal knowledge nor does it equal wisdom, insight, thoughtfulness, discernment, or truth. This is all the more the case these days wherein the academy has been turned into a madrassah for 1960s intellectual children and their silly little followers. In my experience (both many years within the academy and many outside it), the average plumber is way brighter than the average university professor ... and the former produces a considerably more important work product on average ...

Hey! Just because it was way over your head which apparently is why you describe it to be foolish, useless and anti intellectual drivel, does not mean that those that did understand the course did not gain knowledge from it.

Actually it does.
nor does it equal wisdom, insight, thoughtfulness, discernment, or truth.
That is correct.
This is all the more the case

I believe that because you do not know the definitions of some of the words that you mentioned above that most of what you have just said is drivel.
Leon wrote:

Funny, no one thought it was "over my head" nor that I didn't understand the words I used when I was teaching grad school ... I guess you know better...
Tom Watson wrote:

1/2 of the folks in so called "Higher Education," (not sure that's what I'd call it these days) shouldn't be there! The other 1/4 are there because they have no idea or were forced into it. The last 1/4 have a clue. I'm convinced that 2/3 have no common sense. I see and deal with these "Higher Educated" everyday, and sometimes I want to to the V8 thing and knock them in the head.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

So, the M.D. is less useful to us when we are ill than the high school dropout who posseses 'common sense'?
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

I doubt half of them know what they're doing.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Thank you for playing.
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

An absurd comparison. A *competent* M.D. is most useful when you are ill. A *competent* plumber is similarly useful when your exterior sewer pipe snaps at the building entrance (DAMHIKT). There is no shame in working with either hands or head (or both), but we're responding to your earlier question: Can intelligence and education be inversely proportional? The answer is an emphatic yes, the *can*, and these days, often are.
I was educated both in the academy and at the end of the boot of some tough working guys in the trades. Each had its merits. The tradesmen taught me a work ethic. The academics taught me how to think abstractly. Among the academics, the scientists, philosophers, mathematicians, and theologians were my most compelling professors (with the theologians being far and away the broadest and smartest of the bunch). The professional educators were the worst of the bunch. By observation, a lot of the academics in the fuzzy studies (sociology, clinical psychology, hyphenated Americanism, revisionist History, and so on) were nothing more than political drones doing no real research and teaching nothing of note. They more-or-less just mounted a nonstop assault on truth, beauty, learning, and knowledge. The various "theory" schools also did their part (deconstructionism, post-modernism, post-structuralism). The best way I can think of to clean the mess up in the modern academy is to remove all public funding from them. Parents will be disinclined to pay several thousands of dollars for a course in Post-Structuralist Feminist Theory or Amerikkka The Agressor, and other similar "classes" (speaking of sewers ...)
On Tue, 12 May 2009 16:51:23 -0500, Tim Daneliuk

That is not how I phrased the question.
Regards,

Your numbers are off. It's the 80/20 rule and it's a normally distributed population.
Did you ever notice that everyone thinks that the majority of people are stupid but they never include themselves in that majority?
RicodJour wrote:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. :-)