OT: But not really OT..this could be my next project.

Page 2 of 3
Larry Jaques wrote:

"Han" wrote:

------------------------------------ Basic materials for effective fishing.
A 1qt glass canning jar containing carbide & water, and a rock for ballast.
Screw cap on jar, then drop into water and wait.
When pressure builds, jar explodes which stuns fish in area and they float to surface for easy pickings.
Oh the joys of youth.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–

Every Friday morning, the local priests walks from the town dock, past by the game warden's office with a wheelbarrow full of fish. This went on for weeks, till the game warden finally asked the priest where he caught all that fish. "Well, I catch them out behind Jones Rock, want to come along next Friday?" The game warden agreed and on Friday, they both got into a small aluminum boat and motored out to behind Jones Rock. The priest lit a cigar and used it to light the wick on a stick of dynamite and tossed it in the water. After a loud bang, the priest took out his net and started to scoop the fish while the game warden went ballistic and yelled at the priest: "Whoa, you can't do that, that's against Rule # 34 sub 16m art 22 of the Fish & Gaming Act and, and…." The priest lit another stick of dynamite, handed it to the game warden and said: "You here to fish or are you here to talk?"
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:41:18 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

OH, SHIT! And the next person to step in that area loses their foot to the broken glass. Broken beer bottles at the swimming holes were a real problem, too.
-- We're all here because we're not all there.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When we'd swim in the creek, we'd always make sure we had some form of sandles or shoes on. Who knows what's under there to step on? (We also had to watch out for floating "sticks".)
Puckdropper
Add pictures here
βœ–

I remember as a kid in Texas those "sticks".
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 29 Jan 2011 06:25:15 GMT, Puckdropper

Ewwwwwwwwww! You were downstream swimmers, were ya? If there were floaters, it meant someone had their outhouse venting to the creek and that water was all contaminated. Ick!
-- We're all here because we're not all there.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 08:19:22 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Back before water treatment plants, the best place to catch catfish in the river was near the main sewer outlet :-).

βœ–
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 18:11:59 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Ewwwwwwwww! #2. No wonder their spines are so nasty if you get poked.
-- We're all here because we're not all there.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nah, it was just the occasional snake. We were swimming in Oklahoma where they have all kinds of varieties of snakes to be concerned about.
Puckdropper
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 29 Jan 2011 22:20:48 GMT, Puckdropper

Oh, we had those on the Base lake in Little Rock. Mostly the lovely water moccasins. We avoided moving sticks, too.
-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill
Add pictures here
βœ–

I used to go to the corner druggist and he'd take me down the cellar and weight out bulk Potassium Nitrate and bulk sulfer into paper bags for something like a quarter a pound. Add some charcoal.
scott
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes,, but the bad guys weren't terrorists back then, they were communists. I wonder what the government will use next to scare us into submission?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:28:19 +0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

I never could get that mixed properly - nitroglycerine was easier,

βœ–

A buddy of mine used to mix up nitroglycerine all the time as a teenager. He used to shoot it with a .22 pistol. Big Bang! Craters, etc.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 22:26:40 -0500, Lee Michaels wrote:

We once put a drop on an anvil and I hit it with a wooden handled hammer - it split the anvil and we never did find the hammer head. I sometimes wonder how we survived our stupidity :-).

βœ–
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:19:58 -0800, Zz Yzx wrote:

I remember the chemistry sets. But I also had a toy soldier casting set. Nothing like a 8 or 10 year old playing with molten metal. If I look closely I can still see a scar on the back of my hand where metal splashed when I poured cold water on the mold to "speed things up." My mother packed the 1/8" or so deep hole with bacon grease - no money for doctors in those days unless you were really in a bad way :-).

βœ–
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:25:00 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Hurray for old moms! You survived well, too, dincha?
Nowadays, the hysterical mother would have rushed their darling child into the emergency room, costing the insurance company at least $1,500.00, plus whatever meds they could add onto the list. <sigh>
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
Add pictures here
βœ–

Me and Wayne used to do this too: Take a bicycle spoke (or 15-20 spokes) and bend the wire into a handle. Then, back the head off as much as you can without it falling off. Then take a whole box of caps and tear off the paper so all that was left was the powder. Jam that into the spoke head until full, then jam a grain of sand or whatever inot the little canon you just made. Then point it at a plastic army man or snail and hold a match under it. It made a perfect little "in" hole and a great big "out" hole in the snail. And it could imbed the sand grain in the army man.
Great fun.
-Zz
Add pictures here
βœ–
Zz Yzx wrote:

Do you remember lighting wooden matches with a magnifying glass? It was kind of fun. Then we noticed that if you put a match into a coricidan bottle, and then used the magnifying glass, then it would fire the plastic cap off. Two or three matches, even further. Well gosh, what would happen if you fill the coricidan bottle with matches and then use the magnifying glass. It's hard to tell, but the bottle was gone and we counted our blessings and quickly agreed not to try it again! As I recall, I was advising against that "experiment", but all too often I was in the wrong place at the right time like that. I guess my friends and I liked "action". I've got a few more stories like that, but I hate to give Lew ammunition.
Bill
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 1/28/2011 7:48 PM, Bill wrote:

ROTL ...
Ever tried to catch a guinea? Ask me about catching 'em with black cat firecrackers.
Elegant solution about what to put in the gumbo ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010