OT: Curl up with a book....

and you might die laughing. See:

Now you can find a volume that will do double duty as both a go(ing)-away gift and next year's Xmas present. And there is both metal and wood content.

Funnier yet, some of the titles I've digested conceal fine scholarship. But "How to Teach Physics to Your Dog" may have it backwards?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in news:DMednUpy27w7H6PQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Thanks! I posted the link on my facebook page as "someone else posted this".

Reply to
Han

Hey, "Old Tractors, and the Men who love them" isn't a weird book......

Reply to
Steve W.

Sounds like a sexist book, no??? (LOL)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

In fact, I think that's the most interesting collection of books I've ever seen. Far more interesting, informative and entertaining than any bestseller's list or anything of that ilk.

RicodJour

Not if you know Roger.... I have signed copies of most of his tractor books. Most are written with easy humor and from a "Here is what I did and why you shouldn't do the same thing" POV

Reply to
Steve W.

I plan to visit the annual LIAR'S FESTIVAL held in Roger's home town of Dannebrog, Nebraska next year if I can. I am not into old tractors because I still have a sore butt from bouncing around on them when I was a kid. However I do appreciate the tools that are needed to restore old tractors and I'll bet Roger has some nice ones.

DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

H:

You're welcome. And I like the name. It, amidst other associations, puts the mind to the Hindu deity Hanuman. The tales spun around him are fascinating.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

SW:

Ever have a word open up for you one day? "Tractor" did that once, ping ponging through local stops at

tract "area," late 15c., "period or lapse of time," from L. tractus "track, course, s pace, duration," lit, "a drawing out or pulling," from stem of trahere "to pull, draw," from PIE base *tragh- "to draw, drag, move" (cf. Slovenian trag "trace, track," M.Ir. tragud "ebb," perhaps with a variant form

*dhragh-; see drag). The meaning "stretch of land or water" is first recorded 1550s.

tractable "manageable," c.1500, from L. tractabilis "that may be touched, handled, or managed," from tractare "to handle, manage"

traction

1610s, "a drawing or pulling," from M.L. tractionem (nom. tractio) a drawing" (mid-13c.), noun of action from stem of L. trahere "to pull, draw" (see tract (1)). Sense of "rolling friction of a vehicle" first appears 1825.

before the return trip to

tractor

1856, "something that pulls," earlier used of a quack device consisting of two metal rods which were supposed to relieve {draw out}rheumatism (1798, in full Perkins's metallic tractor), from M.L. tractor, from stem of L. trahere "to pull, draw" (see tract (1)). Sense of "an engine or vehicle for pulling wagons or plows" is first recorded 1901, from earlier traction engine (1859). The meaning "powerful truck for pulling a freight trailer" is first found 1926; tractor-trailer is attested from 1949.

So, tractors make things manageable (tractable) by pulling (traction) them out over time across a space(tract). And, naturally, that's why we have "tractor pulls", though it is a little redundant.

Credit here goes to

for the root cuttings.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

In fact, I think that's the most interesting collection of books I've ever seen. Far more interesting, informative and entertaining than any bestseller's list or anything of that ilk.

Amen.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Most of the books I saw there have normal looking titles. "Trout Madness" by Robert Traver was one which resided on my bookshelf for a number of years. He also wrote "Anatomy of a Murder" which was Michigan based as were his fishing books.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

"How to Teach Physics to Your Dog" is a fairly decent popular approach to quantum physics. Any body who is interested in how the world works might like to read it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in news:J8KdnQC6ZfddJ6LQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Thanks, Edward, but "Han" is quite a normal nickname for someone named Johan. Definitely not uncommon in the Netherlands. (I am now a US citizen)

Reply to
Han

They need a copy of 'Electronics For Dogs'. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I suppose the lesson includes chasing Schrodinger's cat?

Reply to
Larry W

The other SW

That sounds like my sis, she just loves all that root word stuff. Also reminded me of one of those power parties when this chick asked what other things I did and I told her and her boy friend that I make solar trackers. About a half hour later she said to someone else that I made solar tractors. I had even explained that they follow the sun, what a da. Boy, if I could plow directly with solar energy I'd be super rich.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Sure... If it's there?

Reply to
CaveLamb

SW:

Half an hour later, at the right kind of party, you would learn you were the cause of global warming with that solar tractor beam thingy.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Hey, anybody wanna deliver some of that global warming to Connecticut?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Oh, for heaven's sakes! The cat is dead! Nobody's fed or watered the thing in almost 85 years!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise