OT: But not really OT..this could be my next project.

Page 1 of 3
Cut a flourish on the cnc, then vacuum form a bunch of them...mmmmm
http://tinyurl.com/4fj5h4g
(Those guys are having way too much fun... although I absolutely understand and want some of that fun..)
\

I couldn't agree more!
But it does demonstrate what you can do with a pile of stuff and a little head scratching.
RonB

Really good. Really funny too.
Kiwis? ("Den here there's a tep...")
Tim w

Nah mate, true blue Aussies ya not hearin striat

I want some of those cheese sandwiches. Wonder how well it cooks pizza?
Pizza would be great - then create a form over left-overs for the freezer.
Martin
On 1/25/2011 11:05 AM, Upscale wrote:

Used to play with one when I was 9-10 years old. IIRC Matel marketed the toy. You had to use a manual built in pump however.

I had one of those back in the 60s. The only vacuum form experience I had until I went to work for a place making vacuum molds (big ones) when I was in my 30s. Being the only moldmaker in the place, I just had to figure it out as I went. Must have done all right, got a $4.00 hr. raise the second month.

It was called a "Vac-U-Form". Mine was red with a black hand operated pump handle. I made mostly litttle cars. And burned myself.
-Zz

They're still around. So are the sheets and paints. Neat-O!

I had one too and burned myself several times. I know I was no more than 9 or 10 years old when I got it. This was a toy that plugged in to a regular 120 volt socket, had a heater probably 40 watts or so, hot enough to melt plastic or burn skin. Can you imagine something like that being marketed for 10 year olds today?

On Jan 25, 9:39pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

My microscope set when I was 8 or 9 had a set of scalpels, an alcohol Bunsen burner, very fragile slide glass, nasty dyes etc. My chemistry set had sulpher, KClO3, charcoal, mercuric oxide, lead powder, none of those heavy metals afnetty brung flork.

My folks wouldn't buy me a chemistry set or even one of those electrical circuit kits for kids. So I improvised by experimenting with a battery and an old-fashioned (then current) flash bulb. I can still remember the amazingly bright flash, the searing pain, and the smell of burnt skin. I never told my folks though.
-Zz

stayed in.

I made some hydrogen (calcium carbide + water) in a clorox bottle and was playing with the flame when I let go. It sucked inside and blew me from a sitting position to a lying position on my bedroom floor. Mom came flying in and found me in hysterics, laughing at my stupidity. They didn't make me get rid of the chemistry set, but I promised to avoid explosive experiments in the house any more. <g>
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman

That generates acetylene, not hydrogen. Still, a good bang can be had ... :)
--
Best regards
Han

Oops, it had been so long I forgot what a gas it was. Thanks for the correction.
-- Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive. -- Howard Thurman
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:23:26 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

You obviously don't remember carbide cannons :-).

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:29:53 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

That's one thing Dad wouldn't let me have.
-- We're all here because we're not all there.

I knew someone that had one, but I don' remember how they worked.
Do you?
--
Jim in NC