OT but kinda funny.

Two parts to this story involving our television causing interruptions in our viewing pleasure. ;~)
1. Dog vs. Machine.
Several years ago our young Great Dane was not yet tuned in to exactly how our door bell sounded. She heard a door bell and she barked. And that is about the only time she barks unless someone knocks on the door.
So my wife and I are watching a prerecorded program on the TV. A door bell rings on TV and our dog begins her barking routine and runs to the front door waiting for one of us to get up and check things out. We knew it was the TV so we tell her that it is OK and to go lay down. But during a Great Danes barking episodes that is all you hear and I had to back up the DVR and replay the conversation that took place then the door was opened on the program. Replaying the scene begins with the door bell ringing again and the dog barking and running to the front door again. It took me until about the third time to realize that I was not going to hear the conversation. A few years later the dog can distinguish the difference and all is well.
2. Machine vs. Machine
So just when you think all of the above is in the past... we buy an Amazon Echo. If you have not heard of this device it is like a radio/Siri appliance. You talk to it and it responds with music or answers. To begin the command you speak the code word, Alexis and she/it wakes up and waits for a command or question. It will play music of your choice, answer your questions, tell you the news, weather, and or spell words for you. It will even create a grocery list and the items show up on the Echo app on our iPhones. Pretty cool!
So my wife and I are watching a prerecorded program on the TV. The program goes to commercial, an Amazon Echo commercial. The commercial demonstrates how the Echo works and the guy calls out, Alexis, and then asks the Echo what the news is. Our Echo hears the TV and responds also with the news. I thought that was a fluke but after rewinding and replaying 2 more times..... Our Echo responded to the commands coming from the TV....
Hummmmm, what next?
On 08/18/2015 11:05 AM, Leon wrote: snip

Just be glad you're wife's name isn't Alexis. You'd never have any privacy!
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska

If this keeps up, he may need to establish a "cone of silence" in his home to have a normal conversation! Big brother is not lurking out there. He has taken up residence in his home.
Not that I am paranoid or anything.
On 8/18/2015 2:32 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

That is what I was thinking...

On 8/18/2015 2:05 PM, Leon wrote:

Play the 'Who's on First?" routine for Alexis and see.
When Alexis, Hilda, and Roomba start plotting you guys can come live here.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 8/18/2015 2:29 PM, Swingman wrote:

On 8/18/2015 2:29 PM, Swingman wrote:

She said Walt's on second!

A friend had a cockatoo and a dog. They hated each other. The dog would also go crazy when the doorbell rang - barking and running around until somebody opened the door to prove no one was there. The bird learned to mimic the door bell. He'd wait til the dog was asleep and say "ding-dong". When the dog finally calmed down the bird would say, "damned dumb dog!" and then laugh. It got so bad they had to disconnect the door bell.
Steve
On 8/20/2015 12:47 PM, SnA Higgins wrote:

:~)
On 8/20/2015 12:47 PM, SnA Higgins wrote:

Couple of years back we babysat an African Gray parrot for almost a year. Stayed in a cage on the balcony above the front porch, but was basically invisible from anyone walking down the sidewalk.
I generally have a glass of wine on the front porch before dinner. Damned parrot would wolf whistle every female that walked down the sidewalk ... and the only person they could see was me.
Had to do a bit of explaining on more than one occasion, and pretty sure, to this day. there is more than one lady who didn't buy my story.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 20:00:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

You misspelled "perv". ;-)
On 8/21/2015 3:18 PM, Swingman wrote:

LOL Well at least you did not have to explain you have a partner that you met on the internet. ;~)
On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 11:45:41 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Well... that got a pretty good guffaw from over here! If they only knew where Karl meets some of his friends, eh?
LOLOLOLOL
Robert