OT bad experience today

Page 9 of 11
On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 21:33:36 +0000, Rick Cook wrote:

Like the one that shadowed my wife and me for four holes on the golf course! He made no attempt at not being seen and hung around at 25 to 50 yards. I don't see them regularly, but it's not uncommon to see them either - many times as road kill.
-Doug
--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between

there are bozos in my neighborhood that carry dry dog food to feed them whilst out on their daily walks. that's why they're learning to follow people. it is very spooky when they do so.

Doug Winterburn wrote:

That one had learned he had nothing to fear from people on the golf course. Obviously he'd never been hit by an errant golf ball.
Actually, that's the reason people think coyotes are more common in some areas. Not only are they spreading their range, but they've learned they don't have to worry about people in semi-urban or suburban areas.
In all my years in Arizona I've only seen 2 coyotes in the wild. Even when I'm in areas with coyote sign all over the place.
--RC

i see them daily in my back yard and neighborhood, as close as about 20' from my patio. they also visit in packs at night, and howl at all hours of the evening and night. they, along with the 3 eagles living in my neighbor's trees, help keep the rabbit population down. currently, there is not a great amount of shooting of coyotes, at least the 4 footed variety.

From your story, it sounds like the dog did not attack anyone. I understand being prepared to defend yourself and others, but if it were my dog (unlikely since I keep mine inside always) and you killed him just because you thought that he was a danger, it would be you that "would have been hauled off in a bag!" A dog, like anyone else, doesn't deserve to be shot for what he MIGHT do!

I see what you mean, But from my point of view (at the time) that dog was making a bee line at my child. When the dog was coming at him I did not have my gun. I think that if that other couple had not been there, the dogs attention would have still been on my son. My child was ushered into the house while I finished cleaning up. I had the gun for my protection at that point. I most certainly would not have shot the dog just for coming near my yard, it would have to have been showing aggression toward me.
Searcher1

I don't blame you for the way you feel. At all. But, "build a picket fence time"? Alex
How about. "Get the county to pass a leash law" time?
--RC
AAvK wrote:

Joseph Connors wrote:

If an aggressive pit bull comes charging at me, I'm not going to feel bad about killing it. If you own one, you have a responsibility to keep it safe. That does not include allowing it to run free.
I will defend myself... against man or beast... if I have to. Somebody else can wait to be chewed up. I won't.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 05:25:02 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Amen to that. I'm not sure which is more aggressive, loose dog owners or their loose dogs. I'll tolerate neither in my yard, TYVM.
---------------------------------------------------------------- * OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design * meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos * "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------
Agree -- except for specifying a pit bull. --RC
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 20:04:20 -0700, "Joseph Connors"

For many years I lived on a farm. We raised cattle, as did most of the neighbors. It was standard practice to immediately kill any dog that wandered onto your property because it might start chasing or harassing the cattle (or deer, but that's another thread). A single dog running a beef steer around the pasture one day can traumatize the steer so that it takes weeks of additional feeding to finish it. The cost is not insignificant.
People who work with food animals tend to have a little different set of values.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:51:08 GMT, "Searcher"

I love dogs, but those pit-bulls are nasty creatures. I never understood why the people who own them seem to like to let them roam around loose all the time.

The owners who don't train them properly and let them run loose are the nasty creatures. The dogs are dogs and every dog is a bite threat.
Shoot the owners!
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 07:05:25 GMT, Lobby Dosser

Okay, I'll give you that. I guess it is true that *most* of the pit-bull owners I've met (not all, mind you) are worse than the dogs themselves. Could be that the wrong folks are attracted to the breed, but I've seen and heard of more than a couple horror stories with terriers in general and pit-bulls specifically. (Though, of course, "horror" is kind of an overstatement when talking about something like a rat terrier or a jack russel.)
To make the bald statement that "...those pit-bulls are nasty creatures..." is wrong.
However, I can sympathize with this view having once lived in Denver for several years. Now Colorado is a wonderful place, but one that attracts some unique "individuals" who live in the country for good reason--they don't belong around people. This type, along with drug dealers and gang lords, fancy having the meanest creatures around. A pit bull is an awesome, and beautiful, physical specimens that, along with many breeds, can be made into deadly weapons (If you have the stomach you might do a little reaserch to find out what this takes). The upshot of this is that several of these individuals owned pit bulls that were trained to be aggressive, let to run free, and did some horrendous things to people, including children. The Denver newspapers played the horror up to the hilt, underplaying the less interesting fact that irresponsible oweners, and breeders, are responsible. Denver then enacted a law that banned the breed. In my ignorance I agreed with the law at the time. (Colorado has very recently passed a law making it illegal to ban dogs based on breed alone, and Denver is fighting it. )
Several years after leaving CO for the Chicago suburbs, my adult daughter was living with us and fell in love with a dog at a local humane society. It was a pitt bull. Crunch time. I began a program to educate myself on the breed. The library and the internet turned up a number of very enlighening articles that made me open to the idea. The clincher was a neighbor who owns a large, well known dog training school. She, an owner of three golden retrievers, proclaimed that pit bulls were among her favorite dogs, and make wonderful pets.
We adoped Mo. By the time my daughter moved out we decided that we could not be without a dog. We now have two pit bulls. The first was bought from a breeder and the second was rescued (a Chicago cop "took " her from a drug dealer as a young puppy). Our dogs have been trained, loved, walked daily, and in five years have never bitten any person, any other animal, or our cats. We aren't unique in having great pit bulls. Most of them are cherished family pets, and they have served our country in war, and have been owned by individuals such as Helen Keller and Theodore Roosevelt.
It is smart to be cautious about any dog. Large, athletic breeds especially can do damage if they have been trained to do so. The most popular breeds tend to be overbred and thereby create some nasty animals. Remember Cocker Spaniels of 10-20 years ago, and now, I fear, Labs are suffering from this. But do advocate responsible ownership and don't make the mistake of condeming a dog based on breed alone.
Now the original poster, apparently distraught at not being able to use his ".44" in what is apparently a suburban neighborhood, unwittingly presents an argument for gun control. But that's another OT for this group.
Jay

Truer words were never spoken. Bad dogs are caused by bad breeders ans bad owners.

Up to a point, yes. The fact still remains that some breeds are much more easily made into bad dogs than others. You'd have to work at it a *lot* harder to make an attack dog out of a golden retriever, than out of a pit bull.
Doug Miller wrote:

Well no. Or not nearly as much as you think. Retrievers aren't terriers, but they can be trained to be just as nasty and aggressive as any other kind of dog. They don't have the pit bull's reflexes or strength so they wouldn't be quite as much of a threat, but it absolutely would not be for lack of trying.
--RC

I said that it's much harder to do with that breed than with pit bulls. Not impossible, just much more difficult.
If you dispute that, if you really believe that a golden retriever can be made into an attack dog as easily as can a pit bull, then your comments on this subject do not deserve to be taken seriously.