OT Antivirus software

Is it 2015 already? Guess I slept longer than I thought.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Longest I have up is 419 days, FreeBSD, and only because of a major power outtage (UPS couldn't last 13 hrs). Prior to that, it had a 642 day uptime.

Reply to
Odinn

Nice. Does FreeBSD have the bug where after 497 days, the uptime display starts over at 0 days? First time that linux box did it, I spent some non-trivial time trying to figure out what the hell went wrong. Turned out I just was seeing the uptime reporting bug.

Been around that twice on the system described above. It was a sunday morning in 2002 when it was last bounced...and that was a planned reboot. It. Just. Works.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yes, indeedy, indeed! Most fun (truly) was the 3-CPU mobile "man-replacement" robotic system for application as observer and minor work in a power plant...great fun, that! (Wonder what the S. Koreans ever did w/ it. When it shipped they were supposed to get us over for training, but it never happened. Probably one of those good ideas that never came to anything.)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Whelllll..egg on MY face. Here I thought I knew what I was talking about.

Reply to
Robatoy

i think the current record for one of our customers is upwards of 9 years.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Well, you _do_ know what you're talking about! You just didn't know what _we_ were talking about. A subtle but important distinction.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Not at all, my uptime was showing 642 days when we lost the power. 497 seems like such a weird number to bug out on (only 9 bits in use, but first 5 bits are 1s and the rest 0s with the last bit hitting a 1 = 497).

My home desktop is FreeBSD, my desktop at work is FreeBSD, my laptop is windows, I also have a Solaris and 7 AIX boxes at home and a couple of windows machines for the wife and daughter. At work, I manage AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux and Windows servers (over 200 in this office alone). Thank goodness I don't do desktop support (over 1500 desktops and laptops at our company).

Reply to
Odinn

You beat me to it, Dave. IIRC, it was written OS/9, but I'm not sure. I do remember being impressed with it at the time. I think it required a 6809 and wouldn't run on a 6800, but again it's been a long time so I could be mistaken. Didn't it have some sort of dynamic function loading that was new, at least for micros?

Reply to
lgb

Robatoy wrote in news:design-8F6A5B.14123325052005 @news.bellglobal.com:

ProDOS? Apple DOS?

140K Single Sided Disks = punch and flip for anoth'a 140K?

Second "PC" was a //e that I upped to 128K to run Apple (UCSD) Pascal. That was fun...

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

Duane Bozarth wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@swko.dot.net:

Ahhh - I was on the *other* side - Intel x86 and Multibus. Ran iRMX as the RTOS. rq$sendmessage()...

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

That would be one out-of-date kernel with gawd only knows how many security holes in it.

Reply to
Odinn

AVG gets my vote as well. Been using the free version for about a year, it updates very smoothly every day, very easy to use (nothing to do) and integrates perfectly into Outlook.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Wheeler

Oh Boy, this one is going to run for awhile.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

no security holes. out of date perhaps, but lots of our customers don't upgrade for years and years if it's working ok. lots of our customers can't have the computer stop working for normal upgrades because there is no scheduled downtime allowed.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

The whole Mac/Unix/Linux thing really torques me because those who tout it so heavily never seem to consider that it is darn hard to come up with commercial applications to accomplish real work on them. I have 40 some apps on my Windows XP box, of which only 3-4 are utilities. I use them all on a regular basis. They are all commercial applications with support available. They all installed the first time w/o problems and most have been upgraded w/o problems. I have been running MS operating systems since 1986 on my personal computers at home and have never had a virus. I buy cheap hardware from God only knows where and plug it in and it works - every time.

I despise Windows for many reasons - security included - but it works when you need to get work done - something I never found to be true with Linux apps. And there is software out there for just about anything you want to do - unlike either Linux/Unix or Mac.

If the Linux community would go after commercial software developers so that there were some real applications available it might make some inroads, but Open Office just doesn't cut it. Likewise if Apple were to blow the box open so that I can slap in cheap off-shore upgrades when I want to then open up their software licensing rules and re-work that horrid user interface they would be worth a look. But for now, in the real world of people who need to do lots of different tasks, Windows XP is the clear winner in terms of usability and functionality.

It's about time for my semi-annual Linux trial, so this opinion is subject to change if the conditions have changed.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

OOI, what version of EZTrust are you running and are you using just the virus or the fwall as well? V5.xx firewall is having a lot of reported troubles. I have it and I have experienced these. The reports come from the forums (mostly Zone Labs ones, which cover the same virus/firewall engine)and match my experiences. CA's

Reply to
Old Nick

Shucks and here I thought we could talk about Datapoint, Altair, Apple II, Horizon et al.

Reply to
WillR

I think it just depends on your version of commercial. Been in hi-tech a long time. UNIX had most of the PC apps long before a PC was around -- a lot more expensive tis true... But cost per user is now in the cellar...

Been using MS since 1979 -- C-BASIC days. Used Seattle DOS -- oops I mean MS DOS 1 (1981). Used Cybers, IBM, Honeywell, GE and Datapoint before that. :-) Forgot the rest... :-( Too many...

Since many commercial mainframes /mini / grid PC/ systems have thousands of users they are cheaper per user than your software.

Many would beg to differ. I have used mainframes, minis, PCs Linux, Apple, CPM, Seattle DOS etc etc etc. What irritates me is when my current system is not like the OS I just got used to. :-)

Think it might be comfort level. We switched here. There was pouting and whining. Now nobody remembers we switched they are so similar in function. Training was 10 minutes -- so go figger.

If I could get a CASE tool (one user) that I could afford personally we would switch most systems.

Right now I am using XP -- but all but 2 systems are dual boot.

Wait for the secret (shhh) negotiations to end....

Again. In my experience it's what you are used to. :-)

Got Slackware, Linux and Suse here as well as XP.

Shut down our Win2000 server. Running Linux Mandrake 10 64 bit on AMD Athlon now. Almost never reboot -- less I wanna change something. The Windows server was a constant trial. Ate a _lot_ of my time. The Linux server is boring. Nothing to do -- unless I wish to do something. It just keeps working.

Good luck with the virgins. If you ever have a spare I'll head over and set up the Linux for you.

bring something to kill"

Reply to
WillR

I need to stain some cherry. Any suggestions? That should get us back to wood working.. LOL

Just designed a "mission style" end table -- gonna make it in cherry starting tomorrow or next day.

Promise to use Danish oil (Tried and True) or sumtin'. I swear Tom it's tru -- I will honest. The blood recipe didn't work. It went brown and hid the grain -- I actually tried it. :-) O'Deen was wrong. :-)

Reply to
WillR